AMD Console Wins for 2017?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by orangpelupa, Apr 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

2. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Or maybe one of the portables is for an Xbox Portable handheld like the PS Vita ?

3. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Didn't ms say they are not interested in handhelds? If ms ever makes something resembling a handheld I'd say they'll make a very powerful x86 based phone and market it along with continium.

Other than that amd being in all the 2017 consoles is a given. Ms and Sony don't have a choice and as backwards as Nintendo can be, they have a long relationship with amd/ati and with Sony and ms Also using a amd solution it would be crazy to go with something else unless the nx is going to be totally different from a normal consoles.

4. Transponster

Newcomer

"By" 2017, New PS4, if the recent rumours are true, is coming out in October(-November). At least one NX product should also release this year.

5. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

For those who are still holding on to "this isn't happening"...

AMD expects $1.5B in future revenue for three new gaming processors—but what are they?

6. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

In a market with three players, it's really hard to imagine who the three chips could be for. Nope, no idea.

Jwm, temesgen, bunge and 1 other person like this.
  7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

samsung, qualcomm, and apple.. duhh

8. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

AMD market cap is only $2.74B

Surprised someone doesn't swoop in and buy it...

9. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Hoping MS hold off till 2017 and launch something crazy fast. Neo is mixing things up and keeping the industry exciting to follow. I want to see more of this.

10. Rangers

Legend

It's been INSANELY low for a while. Considering the $ companies throw around for other companies, it's insane to me somebody didn't grab AMD long ago. The patents alone would seem to be 10X worth it.

Although I guess when there was talk of MS buying AMD a lot of scared console forum warriors were all " Microsoft cant be allowed to do this, anti-trust!". So there's that.

Anyways, AMD stock is up almost a whopping FORTY PERCENT today. Basically to my untrained eye looks they had another very mediocre quarter on the results, but mentioned they did something with servers in China and that got people all excited cus you know, China. We'll see if it holds up.

Of course, 40% just means it went from under $3 to under $4...it's damn near a penny stock.

11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

MS role as a gadget company is weak enough as it is, what would they do with AMD's CPU business for example? And considering they can't even get a games studio to stay in business for more than ten years tops (and typically much less before they close it down), if MS were to buy AMD I would give them a week tops, then MS would take one look at the mess that is AMD, go like, "WHAT did I drink last night?!", and shut down the lot of it that very afternoon.

Just because you have more surplus cash than you really know what to do with (and MS sure qualifies) doesn't mean the companies are a good match. Even Apple would not be a good match for AMD, Apple isn't into designing and manufacturing chips for other companies. Their MO is rather squeezing people through a Steve Jobs reality distortion filter to make them conform to Apple-shaped products. :lol:

Shortbread and Xbat like this.
  12. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That's very true. $1 billion for Minecraft, which is just software and a brand, versus <$3 billion for crazy IP, hardware facilities, etc.

Lightman likes this.
  13. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

Thousands of paid workers, loans, etc.

14. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Plus more debt than the market cap, poor market presence, high expenditures, unclear future, guaranteed legal problems.
    Minecraft makes money.
    I've made more net profit over my lifetime than AMD has. (Note: A dirt farmer that has made a net profit in a handful of dirt has made more in the balance than AMD has.)

15. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Are Intel ever going to let AMD flourish though? No doubt AMD have made their fair share of mistakes, but even when they were offering vastly superior products they were effectively strangled by Intel using outright illegal policies to bribe and threaten all significant customers into starving AMD of revenue.

This is not to say that Intel aren't outstanding at making processors - they clearly are - just to say that when AMD have delivered a comprehensively better product they have been just as brilliant at starving AMD of income. Why would that ever change? The fines Intel took for using said practices (in a pretty damn lax environment to begin with) were a pittance compared to vast fortunes that their investments in said practices accrued.

It seems that all Intel will ever do is allow AMD to survive ... maybe.

16. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

At this point, AMD's problems are too legion for Intel to just "let" AMD succeed. Intel would have to just start paying AMD a lot of money, although there were rumors that Intel was going to pay AMD for some graphics IP licensing.

Intel would have to purposefully stop growing, and it is already undergoing a workforce contraction due to its own problems and competitive pressures. These other pressures are simply bigger. It's not clear where doing something for or against AMD outweighs doing things for/against ARM, its licensees, mobile, datacenters, IBM, Google, Facebook, Nvidia, Oracle, etc.

The various acts Intel has committed against AMD in the past are in the past. AMD's leadership has already taken a pittance for them.

The biggest problem with AMD right now for buying stock is that there is a very real likelihood that the stock price is going to 0 in several years. Some of the most realistic scenarios going forward for creditors only modestly help shareholders--if AMD is successful enough such that its revenues retire enough debt to sell the company off in pieces to retire the rest. That leads to limited long-term value and the trigger would likely be pulled when there are enough downsides (lost value in IP, more staff to fire) that buyers could get concessions.

function likes this.
  17. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

You write an understandably realistic but depressing analysis, 3dilettante.

Perhaps you should start writing distopian sci-fi novels with depressing endings too. :(

18. zed

zed
    Veteran

Thats not the worse (though I think it was $2+billion)
    Uber's >$60 billion valuation which is more than GM or Ford, now thats just insanity

19. Rangers

Legend

A lot of NX news breaking today. Has the ring of truth to me. Because it's about time for hard leaks now that we have as firm early 2017 release date. Emily Rogers:

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/so-about-nx/

This then appeared on Semiaccurate.com, behind a paywall, summarized

It sounds to me like a Shield level chipset. Probably with more bandwidth, but my guess is still hampered by bandwidth. Probably around 1TF Xbox One level...

In a way that's better than I was half expecting TBH.

Or perhaps this should go in the next gen speculation thread?

20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

This line here sounds like total bullshit to me ...

We know for a fact that AMD has 3 major console wins. I don't think there is any way in hell for Nvidia to get a contract given that.