AMD Catalyst 7.5 released

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by B3D News, May 31, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

AMD has released a new version of its Catalyst driver suite, as well as a new version of its Linux drivers. Highlights include official HD 2900 support on Windows and D3D10 CrossFire.<br />

<br /><br />Read the full news item

digitalwanderer likes this.
  2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Between the apparent lack of 2900 XT video accel showing up, and the whole "no Vista 64-bit for CrossFire yet", and the last day of the month delivery, it certainly gives the appearance of a driver team that got rushed a bit.

So, I'm going to charitably conclude that leaving Vista 64-bit out of stuff is not going to become a trend. I promise you that the editorial staff of Beyond3D are going to start getting grouchy if there is any evidence of IHVs slighting 64-bit Vista as a regular thing.

3. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

I'm running 64-bit Vista, Geo's running 64-bit Vista (as evidenced by his proclamation of "FOUR GIGS OF RAM!" the other night), Rys is running 64-bit Vista... I'm guessing that a large percentage of the target market for DX10 CrossFire (at this point, at least) is running 64-bit Vista as well.

4. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

I'm just curious, where does it say in the release notes that Crossfire isn't supported for Vista x64?

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

People are actually running Vista? :shock:

6. Tim Murray

Veteran

I checked again, and it doesn't say that it's unsupported anywhere. This is troubling, to say the least. We got a email from Andrew Dodd announcing the release:
    We'll double check and let you know of any updates.

7. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Looking at the wording again, I'm beginning to suspect he'll point at "DirectX 10" as the modifier in that sentence that matters. Since obviously they didn't have a DirectX 10 part publicly available until two weeks ago. But we'll see.

8. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Yes, it is a huge massive improvement over XP. Each day I deal with XP I end up going "that stupid error never happens in Vista...". Now, 64-bit Vista... I don't know why you'd run that, makes no sense really. Unless you have an honest need for 4GB+ of RAM (which I doubt most do who run it) then it is nothing but needless hassle.

9. Tim Murray

Veteran

64-bit Vista really isn't that bad. I've had no real problems with it to speak of. It just has a bad reputation thanks to XP x64.

10. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha Subscriber

I actually never had a problem with either of them, save having to wait for printing drivers, but even then HP finally delivered.

11. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Y'know, I understand where you're coming from there. I went with Vista 32-bit originally the first week of February. But after three months of hanging with my virtual homeboys, hearing their experience, and watching the driver situation in general, I decided it was time to move. So last week I went to Vista 64-bit too.

Particularly for high-end enthusiasts, it's just time for 64-bit. The reason I didn't originally go that route was I took counsel of my fears, rather than what I really wanted to do. I think Tim in particular made a great point upstream. . . who does AMD think is using DX10 CrossFire at this point?

Having gone back thru the previous AMD Catalyst release emails they sent, I noticed that this *isn't* the first time they've preferenced Vista 32-bit over Vista 64-bit. I think that's a mistake, and I'm going to hold their (and their competitors if they do so as well) feet to the fire for it going forward.

12. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

Maybe I've missed it before but at the bottom of the color tab there is a "PC Standard Black and White" and a "Microsoft MCE Black and White" button. On the standard setting my desktop looks really washed out. With the MCE everything looks correct. When I updated to 7.5 from 7.4 it seems like it went from roughly MCE levels to Standard by default.

Anyone know exactly what this is doing and if they changed any of it? I just don't remember the default settings looking this washed out in the past. I also don't want to be clipping the color values if something else is off.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

13. SugarCoat

Veteran

and X64 has a bad rep thanks mostly to FUD. The main problem is with peripheral/addon hardware manufacturers (digi cams, printers, network cards, game controllers etc..) that totally dropped the ball on driver updates. For all intents and purposes the OS itself is very solid.

14. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Aw, c'mon, dude. I'm running 64-bit Vista, so I'm not inherently hostile to what you're saying. . .but please. Don't you think the biggest "intent and purpose" most people run *any* OS is to have a good and trouble-free computing experience? Do you seriously know of any way to have a good experience with any OS that doesn't have solid, broad, and robust third-party driver support? SRSLY. When you're the lead face, fair or not, you'll get the hate when all the bits and pieces don't fall in line.

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

I've heard that 64-bit OSes kill baby kittays. :yep2:

16. SugarCoat

Veteran

yes, having support is very important, but what i dont agree with is holding a windows 64bit OS responsible for the lack of support which is exactly what people did in the case of X64. Far too many companies that release loads of products on a yearly basis didnt want to spend any money to get older stuff working. If it was a newer Epson printer, or a Creative Audigy product, or a graphics card, driver support was not really a problem. You cant get pissed off at X64 and call it junk because there wasnt any drivers for your three year old cannon C100 Powershot or four year old printer, yet these are exactly the reasons that stop average people from going to that 64bit os and pretty much the only good reasoning anyone has when they say people shouldnt be using a 64-bit OS. My point is its not the operating systems fault. Nothing was wrong with XP 64 and nothing is wrong with vista 64.

17. Tim Murray

Veteran

Andrew Dodd just confirmed to me that D3D10 Crossfire is unsupported under Vista x64 (but emphasizes that it's only for a short time and D3D9 works fine).

I dunno. As niche of a feature as D3D10 Crossfire is, I don't like differences between 32-bit and 64-bit support. Sets a really bad precedent.

18. digitalwanderer

Legend

Guys seriously, 64-bit ain't ready for prime time yet. Heck, even if I'm wrong and it is all the IHV ain't ready with their driver support for it.

You trailblazers go clear the path for me, I ain't touching it with a 10 foot pole yet.

19. Himself

Regular

Just noticed the lcd overdrive option in the drivers, haven't been paying attention to the latest updates, is that new?

20. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

We're trying, we're trying. This includes whining, pissing, and moaning about driver support --quanity, quality, and timliness. In fact, that's a huge part of what it includes. :wink: