AMD Catalyst 12.4 Released

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Apr 25, 2012.

1. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Grall - Your 8800GTX cards are older, hotter and slower but have better support.

Their 4000 series was pretty popular. I'm surprised they had the gall to backburner them. But perhaps their legacy support will be decent. It sounds like the mainline cards won't get new drivers much more often either.

2. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

If Nvidia isn't spending time optimizing apps for the 8800 (which I suspect) they're legacy and you just don't know it.

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Well I bet Nvidia was still selling the 8800 in 2011 while amd basicly stoped with the 48x0 in late 2009 early 2010 when the 5x00 series became popular.

Heck the g80 chips are basicly the gt 200 chips that were used in the geforce 300 series

4. swaaye

Legend

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how to tell when the 8800GT that I have runs everything I throw at it. 38x0 has not been so fortunate. I imagine the fact that a bazillion G9x cards are out there has an effect on this.

5. Svensk Viking

Regular

I've noticed that Nvidia's Windows 8 driver also supports all their cards from the Geforce 6 series.

My trusty old HD 4870 will only be supported by the driver coming with Windows 8, which I guess means no catalyst.:sad: Well, since I don't like how Win8 looks I guess I'll comfort myself with that:wink:

Having read about DX11 being a superset of DX10.1 and even bringing some benefits like DX11 multithreading support on DX10 and 10.1 hardware, I was hoping those cards would continue being supported for yet a while

#125 Svensk Viking, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

No shit, and for good reason too. They were absolutely terrific value for money. The 4890, the top of the line flagship card at the time (not counting the dual-GPU 4970, built on an older GPU) could be bought for less than SKR2000 towards the latter half of its product life over here. It was an absolute bargain for the power it offered, it was nearly as fast in many games as the NV GTX280 after all and cost considerably less.

These days, the 7970 sells for around SKR4000, and typically a lot more. :( GPU prices are way too high right now methinks...

7. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Does anyone have a recommendation on which Catalyst I should install to get rid of the "'HDMI [Sound] Output Device not connected' after resuming from sleep" issue? I'm currently using 11.5.

The amount of serious bugs reported with 12.x scare me, and I haven't seen a post that reports that issue fixed anywhere. Just many people complaining about it, and recommendations to roll back to 10.x.

Perhaps easier to keep using my current workaround: put the computer to sleep again, wait a bit and wake it back up. But it's irritating. I mean, it's only the same cable they use to display the picture as well, right? And they do understand when that's plugged in.

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Isn't the 12.6 beta said to be pretty good from a stability POV? I believe the HDMI issue was listed as fixed in the release notes, and I haven't seen anyone here complain about this driver release breaking any games or such. I don't play very many games myself these days, but I haven't noticed anything myself, it seems to work fine from what I can tell. GPGPU computing works fine through BOINC as well.

I think you should just go ahead and try it. You can always roll back if you hit a snag...

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

12.6 beta just released fixes that.

Don't be scared Frank. People are always going to complain about the problems they get.

Personally I haven't seen anything significant for me since they got the Rage issues fixed at the beginning of the year, but then I don't run Crossfire or any exotic multiple screen hyper resolutions. YMMV, as with everything.

10. Davros

Legend

I had massive problems with 12.3's and 12.4's
    bsod's in atikmapg.sys so much so i really thought I had a hardware fault
    going back to 12.1 and i havnt had a single problem

11. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

The newest betas might be a little unstable.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33991260

The 12.6 betas fixed my HDMI audio issues but left me with another issue, that of the ITC processing setting not sticking.

So I'm using the betas from June 4. They seem to be working fine. I only have one videocard, a HD 6870, but the 12.6 Beta CAP1 is supposed to help even single card users with Max Payne 3 so I'm using that too.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

I linked to rage3d and guru3d because that's where I found them and the discussions were useful.

12. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yes the 8800GT is still a quite capable gaming card at lower resolutions.

13. jakobx

Newcomer

Nah. Its buggy. If i enable sleep for my monitor i get at least one driver crash a day. In release notes it says they fixed this issue. Other than that i didnt have any problems so far. Hopefully the real 12.6 really fixes this problem. I guess its caused by zerocore.

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Not encountered that issue myself, then again I don't have a 7000-series card, so no zerocore support. Maybe that's why. Does it happen at monitor sleep/wakeup events, or is it (more or less) completely random?

15. jakobx

Newcomer

It doesnt wake up properly. (not sure if the crash occurs at sleep, wake or somewhere in the middle) Its a bit random. Most of the time it will wake up ok, sometimes it will wake up but there is some onscreen corruption visible and sometimes the machine is frozen. Its never a BSOD and no other problems during gaming or regular use. I have searched the forums for a solution and it seems to be a pretty widespread issue.

16. swaaye

Legend

I fixed a HDMI audio not connected on wake problem with a 4350 by disabling the onboard Realtek audio in the BIOS so that the HDMI audio is the only output. Windows now seems to always use the HDMI.

17. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

I wanted to add that even if you only have a single GPU part the CAPs are apparently needed now. I had nasty image corruption in Skyrim at area load screens which the CAP fixed (6970 2GB).

18. Davros

Legend

12.1's no caps no problems with max payne 3

19. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

I get the BSOD with 12.4 and my 5870.

Annoying that such bugs get through AMD's testing phase.

20. Davros

Legend

Go back to 12.1 if you can
    ive not had a single bsod with them