AMD Catalyst 12.4 Released

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Apr 25, 2012.

1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

2. Babel-17

Regular

Thanks CarstenS, I used that link, feedback submitted! :)

3. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Submitted feedback; my 7970 generates a hard lock of the box when walking from Riverwood to Whiterun; right behind the Honeymead brewery. Thought somehow my overclock had gone unstable; reset my entire box back to factory defaults (GPU, ram, GPU) and I was able to hard lock the box over and over and over again at the same place.

Ripped out all the AMD drivers, reinstalled the old betas from initial release, and all is well again. Bleh.

4. Broken Hope

Regular

Appears AMD are failing as usual, Blizzard are blocking anyone with the 12.4's from playing Diablo 3 due to a compatibility issue, so unless AMD fix this before the 15th, there is going to be a lot of unhappy customers.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4768329726

5. 3dilettante

Legend

I'm not too familiar with what's going on.
    What exactly is a compatibility issue that can make a game dev block people from playing a game?

6. Davros

Legend

This post on the battlenet forum is worrying

"The Catalyst 12.4 update about a month ago really screwed up a lot of games, not just this one. Almost every game I played, from Skyrim, WoW, to Star Trek Online all experienced horrible problems when I updated to 12.4."

ps: 12.5 beta
    http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=giveme&dwn_id=1624

7. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Yeah, this strikes me as very odd, a fat warning is ok... but from the thread it seems theres no way to get around except installing older drivers.

8. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I posted these pics of a R4350 on Cat 12.4 running Skyrim. I also found a thread with SWTOR people having a similar geometry problem. Just run 12.3.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Davros

Legend

techpowerup thread

by qwerty_lesh (5:35 PM) - Reply
    I think this driver finally resolved the system hang-up I had with 12.3 and 12.4 when watching internet flash video (1x5870 + 1x3 eyefinity).
    by: avatar_raq
    I got that problem too, same config same versions. I rolled back to 12.1 and dont plan on upgrading anymore, the drivers now only seem to get worse for our setups :(

exactly the problem ive been having

10. Davros

Legend

tried 12.5
    bsod while installing
    rebooted managed to install
    bsod while setting up eyefinity group
    windows bsod's on every reboot
    turn off 2 monitors windows reboots
    uninstall and decide to got back to 12.1
    get this
    [​IMG]

11. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

The only think I could think of is transparent geometry where there should be opaque one. Sort of a wallhack feature, which would not be nice in a competitive MP environment.

12. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

You mean 12.4, yes? :) Or, have I hibernated a month without realizing it? :D

Anyhow, looks like I'm passing on this month's drivers. Holy mother of grud, what a mess. Never heard of so many problems with a driver set in years. I'd have to go back to the epic random Nvidia BSOD issues they had in the mid-aughts or thereabouts to recall anything similar. Of course, those issues were spread out over a whole swathe of drivers and not just one.

13. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Broken's wording is incorrect; nothing is being "blocked." According to the devs, they are not going to "support" the 12.4 catalysts due to known issues, however multiple people are reporting no issues on the unsupported drivers during the beta.

Essentially, in other words, the dev is saying that there are potential visual discrepancies that they attribute to the Cat 12.4 driver and are not a fault of the Diablo codebase. Thus, don't expect them to listen to bug reports that contain references to Cat 12.4

14. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

I'm still on 12.1 due to bugs in Tera and/or Guild Wars 2 with 12.3 and 12.4.
    It's been years since I had any drivers issues with ATi hardware, I'm surprised.

15. Davros

Legend

@ Grall 12.4 no, 12.5 beta yes.
    ps: 12.5 has no uninstaller

pps: ran driver sweaper revealed a whole lot of ati files and reg entries
    seriously amd when installing if you copy a file to the hdd you add filename to a list, when uninstalling you read first filename delete it, read second filename delete it
    how hard can it be I seriously worry about the competence of the people there...
    Dave should make a post, "heres the list of files to be copied, heres the list of registry entries to be added, first person to write us an installer gets a 7970
    they would end up with a much better product

16. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Some corruption with HD 2000/3000/4000 that is being looked at here. HD5000/6000/7000 have no issues.

Davros - you use leaked drivers at your own peril...

17. Davros

Legend

I know dave, but most of my problems (display driver has been recovered, bsod's in atikmpag.sys, uninstallers not working correctly, ccc cannot be started) have been with official drivers
    lets see if you have an answer for that or will you display your usual talent for posting in a thread and being very selective in the points you answer :D
    (smiley added, dont take it personally dave, i'm just fed up, pre 12.1 drivers were solid eyefinity improvements came quickly, driver profiles were added, I thought amd are doing a fine job and they are listening to users, I was even defensive of bf3 beta and rage problems "Its only 1 game and a beta dont be too hard on amd", but now i'm fed up and now nv support 3 monitors on 1 card I'm seriously considering a switch)

ps: about offending a card for an installer I was serious, it's obviously beyond bob

18. Svensk Viking

Regular

Reading about driver problems makes me worried, now that the HD2000-HD4000 series are being put to legacy.
    I wonder though, is it reasonable to expect new games to have less issues when these cards' drivers are stagnant?

19. Broken Hope

Regular

My wording isn't incorrect at all, they specifically state that in the release version of the game the warning won't be able to be skipped and that you will have to revert your driver to an earlier version to play, how is that not blocking the use of the game if you're using 12.4?

20. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Boy, was Blizzard fast. The source thread has been deleted before the shitstorm broke loose.