AMD Catalyst 12.4 Released

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., Apr 25, 2012.

1. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Download here, release notes here.

2. Davros

Legend

Fantastic I haven't had much luck with 12.3's
    Didnt have much luck with the 12.3 uninstaller either
    come on amd if you add stuff to a pc you make a list then remove whats in the list when the uninstaller is run. It's not hard, its not rocket science, why is this beyond you ?

3. Davros

Legend

AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Fail
    Version of Item: 10.0.923.1
    Size: 90 Mbytes

my thoughts : when you install drivers, they dont get initialised/switched on untill the catalyst isnstall manager is finished, therefore the app runtime tries to install cant find running drivers and so fail.

4. Davros

Legend

edit: my above theory appears to be wrong as i re ran the catalyst installer and deselected everything except the app sdk runtime (and the display driver as it cant be deselected) and it still failed

Catalyst™ Install Manager
    Installation Report
    04/26/12 00:15:50

Hardware information
    Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
    Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Device ID 0x6719
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Class Code 0x030000
    Revision ID 0x00
    Subsystem ID 0x0b00
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002
    Other hardware

Existing packagesAMD Catalyst Install Manager
    AMD Display Driver
    HDMI/DP Audio Driver
    AMD Media Foundation Decoders
    Catalyst Control Center

Packages for install
    AMD Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
    Version of Item: 8.0.873.0
    Size: 20 Mbytes
    AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Fail
    Version of Item: 10.0.923.1
    Size: 90 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Device ID 0xaa80
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Class Code 0x040300
    Revision ID 0x00
    Subsystem ID 0xaa80
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002

Error messages

5. Babel-17

Regular

Might have some issues with the uninstaller removing the 12.3's and then installing the 12.4's on my two Intel based Dell PC's.

One has a HD 5770, the other a 6870.

Uninstalling on the 6870 and then rebooting didn't leave me with the usual default resolution, I still had 1920 x 1080.

After installing the 12.4's and rebooting I don't have the option for HDMI audio. It's got the red arrow "Not plugged in".

Same thing with HDMI audio and my 5770 but a repair install seemingly fixed it. I'll have to check it again after another reboot.

Edit: Weird, the repair feature gets me my HDMI audio back but I lose it again when I reboot. That's on both systems.

I'm going to try an uninstall then a reinstall. If that doesn't work I'm using my most recent image backup and calling it a day.

#5 Babel-17, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  6. Davros

Legend

Mine says not plugged in too, but I dont have anything connected to the hdmi port.
    ps: I'm not sure amd app sdk is actually included its suppossed to be 90mb in size and I cant find anything that matches in c:\amd

7. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

It's called APP SDK, but I think it's rather the runtime OpenCL driver components only.

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

That sounds alright, then. :)

9. Babel-17

Regular

Just can't get my HDMI audio working on either system with these. Both systems are plugged into my Sony XBR6.

I uninstalled them and used the 12.3's and got my HDMI audio back.

With the 12.4's unplugging my HDMI cable and then plugging it back in restored HDMI audio but I'd loser it again with a reboot.

On two uninstalls of the 12.4's I got atikmpag.sys blue screens.

10. Lightman

Veteran

My experience is not to uninstall previous drivers and just install new ones on top. By doing that I have no problems with driver installation at all since Cat. 9.x or even before.
    Once I had driver installer failed but that was Windows corruption (due to having fun OCing my CPU and memory past their limits of course) and restoring to few months earlier and then installing driver solved issue.

11. Davros

Legend

I always uninstall the previous driver first (thats amd advice) but this time because of the bsod's and driver has recovered warnings I had with 12.3 I also used driver sweeper.

ps: sorry for the OT
    Babel you have a Sony XBR6. a 10bit panel radeons are supposed to support 10bit can you enable it or are you stuck with 32bit ?

12. Babel-17

Regular

"Good news everyone!"

Well, I tried several more things including using the last version of driver sweeper that didn't have adware (2.1.0) (afaik).

I even tried the latest betas and I even tried not installing the new CCC and I also tried sticking with the old HDMI audio driver.

No luck but maybe I'll get away with my current attempt which is to use the HDMI audio from the betas instead of the one from the 12.4's.

This has survived three reboots and one cold start as well as a minute of gaming and playing a few seconds of some videos.

One other interesting thing; During a frankenstall of the 12.3 HDMI audio drivers I had a pop-up from the CCC which wanted to know what I wanted to do about my disabled audio. It even showed me a slice of the CCC I had never seen before, or since. It was a tab that showed all of my systems audio hardware.

Lol, it was a nice Matrix-like moment.

So, I have the 12.4 video drivers and CCC and Media Foundation and the HDMI Audio from the (8.97 April 18) Unofficial BETA that I found at guru3d.

I guess a link would be nice in case someone googles themselves here.

But my bandaid of a fix could break at any moment is my guess, etc., so caveat emptor.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=361892

13. Babel-17

Regular

Mine is 32" and only 8-bit.

MPC Home Cinema has an option to enable 10-bit if anyone has such hardware.

14. Babel-17

Regular

It tasks me, if it's enabled, it becomes disabled after a reboot, and vice-versa.

On both systems, using the beta's HD audio.

I guess I'm almost done.

15. Babel-17

Regular

I think I might owe an apology as I'm starting to suspect that losing the HDMI audio output might be connected to my having both PC's connected to the same HDTV and/or being on a network.

:oops:

I guess I'll see what's what, over time, and I figured I owed this thread an update.

Edit: I've only had this setup, two PC's networked and on the same HDTV, for about a month and this is my first time updating the video drivers on that. I've been using my older PC mostly just for rare grunt work and to make matters more complex it has a separate audio out to my HDTV that kicks in if the HDMI audio is disabled. I might have had this situation all along.

#15 Babel-17, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  16. Babel-17

Regular

I thought I found a workaround, for my new PC, by disabling the onboard audio.

Then I read at guru3d a chap posting how just shutting off his monitor would disable his audio.

Yup, that did it to me too. :cry:

I suppose it's a relief to think it's the drivers and not an error between keyboard and chair but this precludes my updating to a HD 7870 till it gets addressed.

Not holding my breath as I googled the heck out of this and got very few hits. Not many use my kind of setup I guess.

Maybe I'll file a ticket but I prefer to let the dust settle more.

17. Babel-17

Regular

18. Malo

Malo YakTribe Gaming
    Veteran Subscriber

Jesus, looks like I won't be upgrading my HTPC catalyst anytime soon. I have all my TV, amp, sub etc linked to the TV master on my green power strip so it all turns off when I power off my TV (htpc is on 24/7). If I had to restart the htpc every time I would go fricken nuts... and so would my family.

19. voyager

Newcomer

same here. After upgrade to 12.4 my htpc (E-450 based) loses HDMI audio when waking up from sleep. I use a Harmony remote that turns on my TV first and then wakes the HTPC from S3 sleep mode.

Unfortunately there is a timing issue and intermittently the HDMI handshake doesn't happen, so no HDMI audio. I can only solve it through rebooting while keeping the TV "on".

I reverted back to 12.3 to resolve the problem.

Question is how does one report this to AMD? I looked for a bug report form on their site but couldn't find any.

20. Davros

Legend

Me neither
    [​IMG]