AMD Catalyst 11.11 WHQL Driver Suite Released

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Davros, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Davros

Legend

Today AMD released their Catalyst 11.11 drivers along with Catalyst Application Profile 1 (CAP 1) for this driver. The CAP is for Crossfire multi-GPU setups. You can download the Windows 7/Vista 64-bit package here, http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx
    and the Windows XP 32-bit package here : http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_xp-32.aspx

The CAP 1 for 11.11 is here. One thing you may notice conspicuously missing from this CAP is a profile for Skyrim. Radeon Product Marketing Manager Robert Hallock assures us it is 'coming shortly.'
    NEW FEATURES
    - Adobe Flash Player 11 support
    - Enables full support of the GPU accelerated Stage 3D API and Stage 3D applications
    - Supported on the AMD Radeon HD Series of GPUs, A-Series APU and E-Series APU

RESOLVED ISSUES
    - Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
    - This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalystâ„¢ 11.11 software suite for Windows 7. These include:
    - Images and textures are no longer corrupted (Blue) in Rage.
    - Bezel compensation now works correctly with Far Cry 2.
    - Screen tearing is no longer randomly observed while moving a window on the desktop while in Clone mode or Eyefinity mode.
    - A black screen is no longer observed when extending displays.
    - Homefront no longer crashes randomly when Crossfire is enabled.
    - DC - Universe Online no longer hangs soon after selecting a character and entering the game.

The Catalyst Application Profile (CAP 1) brings:
    - Battlefield 3: Tweaks to the CrossFire profile
    - Global Ops - Commando Libya: Improves CrossFire performance
    - Driver San Francisco: Disables CrossFire

2. hoom

Veteran

Am I imagining things or is Firefox animation smoother with this version?

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I'm curious why I was forced to restart my PC not just after installing the driver itself (something I believe they did away with well over a year ago), but also the 11.11 CAP file... Veeeerrry strange...

Also, the patch notes don't mention this, but is crossfire enabled now for RAGE?

4. Mize

Mize That's my stapler
    Veteran

I've had to reboot after CAPs for a while.

5. Mize

Mize That's my stapler
    Veteran

This message is to save time:

"These drivers hosed my system! I'm going back to 11.9 preview!"

"They work great for me, you must be doing something wrong."

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Amazing and disappointing that AMD still haven't fixed Rage. They've got rid of the flashing textures, blue polygons and running out of video memory. Now they've introduced a new bug of random polygons and screen corruption/flashing that goes on and off all the time.

I expected better than three months to fix a triple-A title from one of the biggest developers in the industry.

7. Davros

Legend

Bob is extremely busy

8. Jawed

Legend

When will people learn that 11.11 is an upgrade from 11.9, not 11.10.

9. Davros

Legend

As soon as you teach us

10. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Maybe we'll learn when AMD creates a better version identification system, because last I checked, 11.11 > 11.10. Simple numbers tell people each successive driver is an upgrade from the previous; that AMD is actually having two parallel code bases in development at all times isn't something people can just automatically figure out on their own, especially as AMD does sweet fanny adams to try to teach their customers about this.

11. I.S.T.

Veteran

This. AMD's current driver situation is at best embarrassing. They are damned lucky their hardware is as good as it is.

12. Davros

Legend

13. Jawed

Legend

11.11 contains both 11.9 and 11.8 fixes, etc. So, pick odd or even and stick with it otherwise expect crap.

Or don't buy games until they've been out for 3 months+ :roll:

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Getting lots of flashing textures in Rage, what appears to be polys covered with white typeface characters on black or somesuch appearing randomly for just a frame fairly frequently. Especially when zoomed in a scope, it would seem. This never happened with the 11.9 preview release 2 version that I ran up until now. :(

IMO it's more annoying when they bork something that worked previously than when they don't fix a problem that's always existed...

15. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

lol. So which driver is best for Rage then? How does a customer figure this out exactly? These monthly drops just have never made sense to me with how the always get messed up with the hotfixes and the parallel work. There are what two successive WHQL packs with regressions from hotfixes now?

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Rage runs terrible at 2600 rez on just one 6970 board by the way. Why AMD still hasn't managed to get crossfire working is totally beyond me.

Also, the GPU scaling option does not seem to be working properly, when I ran Rage in the highly non-standard, non-native resolution of 1080P I got a black screen and a flashing warning from the monitor I wasn't using the optimum resolution. The black screen remained even after trying to alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del, forcing me to pull the monitor cable out of the graphics card and then re-insert it to get my windows desktop back (smashed down to 640*480 as it happened).

Isn't the whole point of GPU scaling that the hardware always outputs at the panel's native resolution and scales up lower resolutions to fit? I had to disable GPU scaling to get video back in Rage, because the game had saved my new 1080P setting and I couldn't find where the game has squirreled away its video config file even after quite a bit of hunting links on Google. Is it hidden in the registry or something? What the hell...

...And, they still haven't fixed the bug with the text cursor in IE9 by the way.

17. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Depends on what kind of bugs you want to totally destroy the playing experience and make the game nearly unplayable.

11.10 - Constant flashing textures

11.10 Preview 3 - looks best, but every half an hour all your textures will stop loading and everything will be blue as a memory leak runs you out of on-board memory. You have to exit the game and restart it. ID recommend you lower your resolution and AA settings to put it off as long as posisble.

11.11 - constant polygon and screen flickering.

Really, AMD have seriously dropped the ball on this one. Three sets of drivers since release, and none of them work acceptably. This is the sort of crap that gave ATI their hard earned reputation as having useless drivers that never worked right compared to their competitors.

Not getting it sorted for the release day of a triple-A title is bad enough, getting it wrong time and time again is unforgivable.

18. Mize

Mize That's my stapler
    Veteran

Sigh. I don't care about Rage but reading this thread makes me consider going back to nVidia again. If I hadn't put so much effort into tweaking my 6970s with custom, quiet air cooling (scythe two-slot with PWM fans) it would be a no-brainer.

19. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Its even worse if its an old or unpopular title, then you end up with ppl telling you that your hardware is broken :lol:

Doesnt seem like anything changed.

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yeah, because no one is allowed to change an opinion in five years on the internet. :roll:

I don't see the monthly release as a problem, if it's actually used to fix things, instead of breaking things in different ways each time. To be fair to AMD, it's been a long time since this sort of thing has happened. Their record on being ready for release day is still pretty poor, but they usually have it sorted in a hotfix or by the next Catalyst release. This time they've badly dropped the ball for Rage, which probably goes to show AMDs lack of priority for OpenGL at this time.

Still, the point of their products is to play games, and if you can't get it right for a big game like Rage, how are you going to get it sorted for other games? Q&A at both AMD and ID look like they've been asleep at the wheel for this one.