AMD Catalyst™ 15.3 Beta Driver for Windows

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Babel-17, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Hit the link up top to see the download links and more info.

2. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Woops, I forgot that it's customary to also post the fixes, and so on.

3. Davros

Legend

"AMD Freesync technology support is now available for single GPU configurations."

I wasn't aware that up until now freesync needed a dual gpu setup

4. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

I don't know but I suppose there could be an implication that Crossfire isn't yet supported. That following from nothing being supported, but now single GPU configurations are supported.

5. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Yes, dual-GPU configurations aren't supported for now, but will be in April if I recall correctly. What I'd like to know is whether Eyefinity is supported with FreeSync. I have yet to read anything about that.

6. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

Yes eyefinity is supported by you need the exact same monitor for all screens

Alexko likes this.
  7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

HOLY CARPE!

Woot! PLP is possible now on at least one video card. Looks like I'm going to have to go back to AMD for my next video card. That's what I've been waiting for. Now if only 20" 4:3 monitors weren't so relatively expensive and rare.

Regards,
    SB

8. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

resolved
    [414120] The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim : Fog / Clouds may flicker on Radeon HD 5800 series products

they still support HD 5800? yikes... and they already forgot radeon HD 5700 :(

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Disappointing as hell that after all this time, AMD posts a fucking beta driver. They just can't help themselves fucking up anything they do. Release WHQLs every month, game-breaking bug fixes come and go in a most infuriating manner. Drop monthly support, and it's one WHQL every six months instead. Jesus wept.

Can they strike a reasonable middle ground perhaps maybe?! What the fuck!

10. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I don't understand your obsession with WHQL. What does it matter?

11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

It matters, not only because of the distinction between software overtly marked as beta and a proper WHQL release, it's also a matter of perception. WHQL is a seal of quality. Beta software on the other hand is the direct opposite, it's "take it or leave it", and "expect it to not work properly but you can play with it at your own risk". Do you feel comfortable buying hardware costing many hundreds of dollars whose last official driver release came out last year? To me, this speaks of ineptitude and uncaring.

It's a shitty way to run a business, especially for a company like AMD (ATI, originally), whose reputation for terrible drivers stretches back 15+ years.

12. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

It's purely a matter of perception, though. In practice, there's no perceptible difference in quality between beta drivers and WHQL ones, at least not as far as I know.

13. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I'd like to know why they label them as beta anyway. Seems like a dumb grab into the modern day craze over beta software being cool. I read it as "hey in three months this is the best we could manage".

I don't think WHQL means much. Shitty software can still get MS's approval.

#13 swaaye, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  14. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

WHQL is only a matter of perception for those looking for fault. how many people know what WHQL is.. thats right sweet fa, now of those sweet FA how many of them care about WHQL..... thats right Sweet FA. 0.Sweet FA * 0.Sweet FA = ?

15. hoom

Veteran

Yeah, monthly WHQLs which didn't do much may have been overkill but 6mthly betas is way too far the other way.

I do not at all agree with the much quoted but rarely substantiated 'crappy drivers' thing though.
    Have heard of vastly more frequent & generally far worse NV driver issues than I've ever run into with ATI/AMD.

16. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397877
    Requires hacked Windows 10 drivers, and a tweak of the Windows 8.1 OS, but I seem to now have the option for VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) on my HD 7950. I've only briefly tested but it seems nice. No word yet on if it truly matches official VSR in quality.
    Not sure if a thread for hacked drivers is appropriate here though this development might be significant. Needless to say, there could be bugs or/and something worse as a downside.

17. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Perhaps they'll add more resolutions for the Hawaii cards. The options for VSR are a bit limited for the moment.

18. Otto Dafe

Regular

Does anyone know if this driver has the same problem with kb3004394 that the Omega did? For some reason I want kb3004394, I guess it's because I was told I should stay away from it.

19. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Didn't MS release a fixed version of the same patch...? You'd think they would want to correct whatever issue that KB was supposed to take care of, but without bluescreening peoples' PCs in the process. :)

20. Otto Dafe

Regular

I just avoided the update and the whole mess surrounding it at the time, looking around now it seems that only Win 7 and Server 2008 were affected. Apparently MS later rolled out kb3024777 to remove kb3004394 from those systems, but deployment was hampered somewhat due to kb3004394 breaking Windows update.

Anyway, I'm on Win 8.1 so I'm going to roll the dice and install it.