AMD / ATI Radeon HD5800 -review thread

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Kaotik, Sep 22, 2009.

1. AnarchX

Veteran

Is the dual rasterizing already activated or why is according to TPU the per-clock-performance between HD 5850 und 5870 nearly the same? :???:

2. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The chip only has clock generators for two "legacy" (any non-DP output) outputs, so as soon as you plug any two of either the DVI or HDMI in there are no more clocks for the final one. The additional display output has to come via the DisplayPort output. We are working with vendors to qualify and help bring to market active adapter solutions that convert DP into other outputs.

3. Scali

Regular

Or perhaps nVidia didn't need their help. After all, nVidia is also dedicated to OpenCL, and is actually further along (already have drivers that are tested 100% compliant by Khronos) than AMD at this point.
    I think for PhysX, more than any other API at this point, it is adapt-or-die.

4. smw

smw
    Newcomer

Could be although judging from recent events (NVidia cutting off PhysX for people using ATi cards as their primary adapter) don't you think that there could be a blow to performance (and significant at that) when doing PhysX on the Radeons in this theoretical OpenCL port?

5. Scali

Regular

Yea, just as much as with Havok getting a 'blow to performance' on anything other than Intel hardware.

6. smw

smw
    Newcomer

Ok but my thought was more in the direction that you said they didn't need ATi's assistance for porting PhysX to OpenCL whereas I think ATi offered their help not only because of the goodness of their hearts but also to ensure that it would run competitively on their hardware. I don't see any gain if it's in OpenCL but still runs like crap on anything but NV cards.

7. Scali

Regular

Well, goodness of their hearts surely isn't the case :)
    My point was more that just because nVidia didn't cooperate with AMD, doesn't necessarily mean that PhysX won't run on OpenCL.

As for deliberately making code running badly on competitor's parts... Firstly, aren't we getting way ahead of ourselves? It seems nVidia is already convicted before they've even commited a crime.
    Secondly, I think if AMD can prove that nVidia would deliberately hamper performance on competitor's parts while using an open standard, I think they would actually have a case. Somehow, somewhere, that kind of unfair competition is probably illegal.
    I mean, imagine if 3Com made switches that would only run in gigabit mode when plugged into 3Com network cards, and fallback to 100 mbit on competitor's parts?

Having said that, I assume that even if nVidia goes OpenCL with PhysX, that they will continue to use Cuda for their own hardware, and as such they will always have the advantage... just not in an illegal way.

8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

http://pclab.pl/art38674-8.html

First DX11 bench in there?
    I don't speak polish so can't go on to details on why they tested DX11 on only one res and did it use the extra effects DX11 renderer offers, but at least the performance went up

9. Scali

Regular

Yea, it was discussed in another thread, by Demirug.
    Battleforge uses a DX11-level Compute Shader for the SSAO processing, rather than pixelshaders, which gives a performance boost.

10. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

Good find, the 5800 does much better here than in the Anandtech review, I wonder why all the framerates are so much higher vs Anandtech. Xfire scaling does look really good, is microstutter still an issue? I'm guessing by the high framerates that I can play with vsync off.

11. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

XMan, tone it down a notch or take it somewhere else.

12. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Out of curiousity, is the current number of display outputs going to be the baseline going forward, or will there be cards with fewer outputs and possibly more airflow out of the backplate?

I'm not too likely to indulge in multiple monitors, so I wouldn't mind a SKU that didn't have so many outputs (and if it were ever so slightly cooler, quieter, or cheaper, even better).

13. Fallacy

Newcomer

Interessting to read. Primarly because a technical guy at the press conference told me, that tmds/dp-connections are the limiting factors and so eyefinity would theoretically also work with six single-dvi-ouputs or six hdmi-outputs ... Sincerly we couldn´t test this, because the hdmi on the press samples was deactivated (for what reason?).

But a few question on this, though. The DisplayPort needs a clock, too - am I to understand that RV870 has six clock generators for DP-outputs? Or can you use one for all outputs? If so, why doesn´t this work for HDMI/DVI, too?

And what about ananlog Outputs? Are those outputs coupled to HDMI or DVI in any way?

Greetings,
    Leander - HT4U

14. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

The 6 output card, dubbed 5870 Eyefinity edition, has a full height "slit" in the backplate, since it only has DP outputs and needn't find a way to accomodate DVIs. I don't know about others though.

15. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Dave will be able to answer this better, but if I remember right, what he said earlier could tie into this.

DVI and HDMI (currently) need to run double the clocks for Dual-Link DVI (as an example) to run high resolution displays. DP on the other hand uses the same clock as a Single-Link DVI, but drives it at twice the strength.

So it sounds like it may be a simple case of running out of "clocks."

My memory isn't the greatest, so I may be getting the terminology wrong. :oops:

Regards,
    SB

16. smw

smw
    Newcomer

Why would it be illegal? If memory serves with OpenCL there are still vendor specific extensions and optimizations and without access to the code itself ATi simply can't optimize it for their own hardware :) (I may be off here though - I must admit I'm not exactly thoroughly familiar with OpenCL :))

17. Scali

Regular

I thought you meant deliberately running suboptimal code upon detection of non-nVidia hardware. I think that would be illegal.

18. jb

jb
    Veteran

Dave Baumann FTW!!!!!! :)

Nice card here by AMD. Gives us a nice amount of bang for our buck, has some neat features, nice to see SSAA and no more angle dependent AF! I will have to wait a but until the more lower tier cards come out since I am not the avid PC gamer I once was!!!

19. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Why does it only score a 7.8 in Vista for the rating thingy? 7.9 is the highest....

20. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Hemlock