AMD / ATI Catalyst 13.4 WHQL

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Kaotik, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

2. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

So far, not good. The previous betas allowed me to hear my mp3's. That's now gone.

The previous WHQL drivers allowed me to use the Netflix app for Windows 8. Just like with the 13.3 beta drivers, that now doesn't work either.

I'm going to try another uninstall and then I'll reinstall. Needless to say, given that these are WHQL drivers and that there have been ongoing issues with HDMI audio, I'm frustrated.

Edit: I wanted to try the 13.1 WHQL drivers just to make sure my Netflix installation was ok. I'd tried uninstalling and reinstalling it as part of my attempts to use the 13.4's. Yeah, my Netflix installation is ok. I was able to play some video with the 13.1's.

Edit 2: Nope, for me these are busted. I tried the 13.5 beta 2's and no joy there either. Supposedly they are older and the only pluses are for Crossfire users.

One piece of good news. "set PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable to 1" I stumbled on that at guru3d and it fixed the busted audio for me with todays betas.

I'm going to see if it works with these new WHQL's.

#2 Babel-17, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
  3. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Frame Rating: AMD Improves CrossFire with Prototype Driver

AMD Makes a Breakthrough in Improving Frame Latency

AMD has been criticized by some tech publications over Radeon HD 7000 series posing higher frame-latency over NVIDIA GeForce chips, even in cases where AMD's chips offer higher frame-rates. "Frame latency" or "frame time" was purported as a metric of the same importance as frame-rates, in graphics card reviews. Various essentially identical methods were used to show that AMD Radeon GPUs yield higher frame latency (time taken for frames drawn by the GPU to make it to the display) than NVIDIA GeForce ones, even in cases where AMD's chips offer higher frame-rates. AMD has apparently made a significant breakthrough in improving frame latency.

In January, AMD made its first official response to early tests that showed Radeon GPUs to pose higher frame latency. In its defense, AMD stated that frame-latency issues are not a hardware design flaw, and can be ironed out by optimizing drivers to the redesigned memory controllers on GPUs based on its Graphics CoreNext architecture. Sources told us that AMD is ready with its first prototype drivers that fix frame latency issues. These drivers are pre-alpha, and are made available to select industry partners, with an adequate level of competence and expertise, since a week now. After AMD takes feedback from these partners, the company will begin rolling out the first beta drivers, followed by WHQL-signed ones

4. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384994/amd-catalyst-13-4-12-104-0-0-march-28/110#post_19826246
    Ha, it's nice to see that I'm not imagining things.

P.S. That "set PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable to 1" trick worked with the WQHL's. It seems an uninstall reverts the registry changes.

5. Davros

Legend

well to be fair an uninstall should remove all registry entries.

6. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Well, when I do an uninstall, and then install new drivers, the CCC shows/"remembers" my preferences. Are those stored somewhere other than the registry?

7. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

8. lanek

Veteran

13.5 beta 2 is out now at the same time..

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

No release note for the 13.5 b2 but release notes for the 13.4 are now live.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Yes there is, you were just on a wrong page, this is the right one: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-5WINBetaDriver.aspx

10. lanek

Veteran

He he i just wake up... :grin:

11. SenjutsuSage

Newcomer

Sounds like I should avoid these drivers then? Man, I got so excited to try them out, too. I might just give them a shot, it shouldn't destroy my pc or anything, and I can always just go right back to the 13.3 Beta, which is just fantastic right now.

12. lanek

Veteran

I have try both driver this morning.. no problem ( 2x 7970 ). but i dont use Audio out anyway ( if you was reference to it ).

13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

HDMI audio works here fine on 13.5 beta 2 at least when using MPC HC to watch videos, worked fine with the 13.3 betas I had before, but can't remember which one of those it was.

14. lanek

Veteran

Videos have allways work, i think he was refer when you try only use it as audio out for MP3 ( so without the video ).. the audio stay disable untill you launch first a video, cut it and launch the mp3.

15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Tested with MPC HC & MP3-file (since it's the only player I've set to use TV via HDMI as audio output), works fine.

Not sure if it matters that I've played video since last reboot, but closed the player after obvously. Oh, and the computer was sleeping (or hibernating even, can't remember which) in between.

16. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Can't say I've ever tried that. I don't think the PC sleeping/hibernating is part of my issue, or anyone elses. I don't use either. I'm not sure how that registry setting changes things. I had no audio even after booting so what could be asleep? Unless the HDMI audio transistors have a default of being inactive so as to save power and must be triggered to go on. On bootup the Windows starting sound would die after a few seconds. Playing mp3's gave a second or two of scattered audio, here and there. Weird issue, I know.

Using the VLC Player, or a video that doesn't get hardware accelerated, is another way to test. As I've mentioned in the other thread, forcing 3d speeds will also give me audio when playing mp3's.

I'm basically done testing so I'm not going to reset that registry setting to test MPC HC on a mp3. Thanks for mentioning that though!

P.S. Keeping a hardware accelerated video paused gives me audio for my mp3's even though my videocard clocks go back to idling speeds. Closing the video disables the audio again.

Edit: Had to try, no joy. Any chance you have some kind of visual presentation that's active with the audio?

#16 Babel-17, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  17. lanek

Veteran

Thanks for the test.. good news.

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

You mean shooting a video proof for it working? :razz:
    Sure I can do that later today, WoW raid atm

edit: Or did you mean like visual effects from the video? MPC HC doesn't do those
    edit2: looks like this:
    [​IMG]

#18 Kaotik, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  19. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Yeah, the second thing. :) I was wondering if like in some audio players it puts on a light show in sync with the audio. That pic is what mine looks like too. Thanks again!

Edit: In that other forum I linked to, two more peeps saying that reg tweak fixed their HDMI audio.

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Had some random crashes in Diablo3 with the .1 drivers; not anything so far with these. Then again my PC is a little dodgy these days so it's hard to pin down the exact cause. Also, could be the instability still exists and just hasn't manifested itself, I really dunno.

Driver seems to work, though. :)