AMD and Samsung Announce Strategic Partnership in Mobile IP

We'll see how that ends up, but I brought up the Windows topic to Arm in regards to Mali a few years ago and they said they had no plans for it, so for Samsung that's probably one further reason to license AMD. The only odd thing is that initially when it was announced we were hinted at the license terms would prevent such a thing (competing against AMD's markets), so we'll have to see how such an eventual SoC ends up.

We'll see how that ends up, but I brought up the Windows topic to Arm in regards to Mali a few years ago and they said they had no plans for it, so for Samsung that's probably one further reason to license AMD. The only odd thing is that initially when it was announced we were hinted at the license terms would prevent such a thing (competing against AMD's markets), so we'll have to see how such an eventual SoC ends up.

AMD doesn't currently have any real presence in the PC tablet space outside of foldable 2-in-1 devices, so even without contract restructuring, there wouldn't be any conflict there. I could see a Samsung chip potentially being used for a couple Microsoft products. HoloLens as well as Surface X tablets (the ones that are using ARM based CPUs).

It's also possible that the contract has been amended such that Samsung can go for any laptop line that has previously seen Qualcomm ARM based chips used, like the aforementioned Surface devices. As these could be seen as lost market segments to AMD, then AMD may see value in an ARM chip using AMD GPU tech being used rather than an ARM SOC not using AMD tech.

A PC VR stand alone headset using Windows on Arm also wouldn't conflict with any market that AMD is in.

It's also possible that when the contract was negotiated, the whole category of Windows On Arm devices was considered a market that AMD doesn't have a presence in, regardless of whether those devices come in the form of a laptop or desktop.

Without being privy to the details of the contract, it's hard to say just how restrictive the licensing terms were or weren't.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
No. But it's hard to do now, major innovations are already done. The S22 ultra is the new top of the line, but it's nothing special imo.

In that sense phones havent been anything special for awhile now, seems that performance hasnt mattered all that much for a couple a years now.

No. But it's hard to do now, major innovations are already done. The S22 ultra is the new top of the line, but it's nothing special imo.

I wouldnt call it a phone. The S22 Ultra is more a small tablet than a phone. The S22 is a "real" phone.

I think the lineup is boring and overpriced. 850€ for the S22 is Apple like. I can get the Flip 3 for 750€ with twice the memory, a bigger screen and better mobility through the fold mechanism.

looks like AMD's purchase of chip company went through. Perhaps the samsung partnership will get stronger again.

Have other phone manufactures done that recently?

I'm actually super happy about my flip 3 . The only thing I wish it had was faster charging.

But outside of the folding phones I have to say I'm impressed with Apple adding the magnets to the wireless charging. Makes a lot of sense

looks like AMD's purchase of chip company went through. Perhaps the samsung partnership will get stronger again.
I don't really see Samsung integrating FPGAs into their phones, so unlikely to affect it at all.

All of the benchmarks above were virtually synthetic tests especially GFXBench which is infamous for showing an M1 nearly matching higher end laptop graphics configurations. Results aren't that interesting in the face of real applications ...

This is the only phone that's compatible with UE5 Nanite renderer so far ...

Back