AMD 64 2800 Newcastle

micky

Newcomer
I know its not the quickest/best etc but its what I have.......thing is, I don't actually know a greta deal about it.

I thought the clock speed (?) is 1.7 which even to me seems slow. But what are the figures/attributes I should be interested with?

Also when comparing it with other chips, whats its equal?

Just now been doing some searching and found on the net a review of the chip on www.gamepc.com, that says:

In comparison to Intel's Pentium 4, the Athlon 64 2800+ looks to perform about on par with the 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 in most applications, similar to a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 in gaming.

Am I being thick, but when looking at game specs and they say, reccomended is a 2.4ghz processor-I take it then I can get the game etc???????

Athlon 64 2800+ should be fine for almost any game. My neighbor has an A64 3000+ and it still plays Doom 3, Half Life 2, and Battlefield 2 well.

What game were you buying, by the way? Do you still have a GF4 4200? If so, that's probably hurting you more.

No game in mind-just that I have friend who gets a lot of new games, then lets me borrow them.

Still have the 4200-I know its not the best or anywhere near to it but cash being tight, chances of changing are slim at best.

micky said:
Just now been doing some searching and found on the net a review of the chip on www.gamepc.com, that says:

In comparison to Intel's Pentium 4, the Athlon 64 2800+ looks to perform about on par with the 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 in most applications, similar to a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 in gaming.

Am I being thick, but when looking at game specs and they say, reccomended is a 2.4ghz processor-I take it then I can get the game etc???????

compare 2.4ghz with amd 2400+ thats why amd invented the + rating

micky said:
No game in mind-just that I have friend who gets a lot of new games, then lets me borrow them.

Still have the 4200-I know its not the best or anywhere near to it but cash being tight, chances of changing are slim at best.

An A64 2800+ is a fine CPU, nothing bad really about it, its at 1.8Ghz 512kb cache. It'll run every game out there right now no issues, and shouldnt have any for a good year or so still.

Your 4200 is the only thing you should be worried about, that card now, will infact keep you from playing new games VERY soon, in fact, it has already started.

Skrying said:
An A64 2800+ is a fine CPU, nothing bad really about it, its at 1.8Ghz 512kb cache. It'll run every game out there right now no issues, and shouldnt have any for a good year or so still.

Your 4200 is the only thing you should be worried about, that card now, will infact keep you from playing new games VERY soon, in fact, it has already started.

Your GF 4200 is a big bottle neck to your system. The A64 2800+ should last for another year or two. What will bottle neck your system next will be amount of ram.

Yes.

The sempron 3400+ is about as fast as a athlon 3000+ venice and has 64bit instructions. The only "downside" is that it's only for socket 754, not 939.

Slower semprons are still only 32 bit, but good performance for a low price.

Sandwich said:
Yes.

The sempron 3400+ is about as fast as a athlon 3000+ venice and has 64bit instructions. The only "downside" is that it's only for socket 754, not 939.

Slower semprons are still only 32 bit, but good performance for a low price.

Cool thanks, I'll be building a cheap PC soon and will be using a Semptron 64.:smile:

I noticed that AMD have slower Semprons with 64-bit instructions too. For example the 2500+, 2600+, 2800+, and 3000+.

Hrm, I didn't realize that AMD was moving their Semperon line to 64-bit. Nice. They should have a full top-to-bottom 64-bit processor lineup by the time Vista ships. That should give them a nice edge in benchmarks (since Intel doesn't seem to gain anything from going 64-bit).

Back