"Amazon Ordered to End Free Delivery on Books in France"

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
This just seems to be wrong.
The action, brought in January 2004 by the French Booksellers' Union (Syndicat de la librairie française), accused Amazon of offering illegal discounts on books and even of selling some books below cost.

The court gave Amazon 10 days to start charging for the delivery of books, which should at least allow the company to maintain the offer through the end-of-year gift-giving season. After that, it must pay a fine of €1,000 (US$1,470) per day that it continues to offer free delivery. It must also pay €100,000 in compensation to the booksellers' union.

That blows... I get most of my novels through Amazon just because of free shipping.

Sounded like a French-only thing to me, there certainly isn't any book cartel in my country.

Just because there isn't a book cartel doesn't mean that a couple of major B&M book sellers won't step up and try something similar.

I don't doubt that Amazon will find a way to circumvent the order in any event. Reduction in price or coupon equivalent to shipping costs. It's a fee that Amazon was paying so now they only have to find a way to offer similar value to their customers.

That must suck for them. I love Amazon.com's no taxes and free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you live in France?

Just because I don't live in France doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to say that it sucks.

For example...... "Murder in X country is legal!" That actually sucks, and it doesn't mean I have to live in that country.

Just because I don't live in France doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to say that it sucks.

For example...... "Murder in X country is legal!" That actually sucks, and it doesn't mean I have to live in that country.

You said it as though it sucked for you.

How crazy is this actually? Think about it, if the bookstores don't make good business, they should lower the prices or offer free shipping too. If they can't afford it, well, their problem - go sell socks or something. Business is business and should be free to thrive.

The Net Book Agreement was enforced here in the UK until relatively recently (well, mid-1990s) so I assume France must have an equivalent to this still in effect.

Interestingly enough, the end of the NBA didn't completely ruin all small bookshops - eBay and Amazon Marketplace have done this. The used book market, especially, has just totally disappeared here in the UK.

There used to be 'state sponsored' book cartels in several European countries until not too long ago. I believe the EU forced through changes for the last remaining ones, though.

The reasoning was that free pricing on books would cause a mainstreaming of culture where the best sellers would squeeze out the lesser titles from the market due to volume discounting making them more appealing to the customer, add price competition on popular titles increasing sales even more, rinse, repeat.

A similar rationale was that free pricing on books would risk overwhelming domestic writers as a foreign bestseller might have financial backing for the translations making it lower cost than a locally written book, thus pricing the latter out of the market.

Yeah, that's one of the most brain dead ideas I can think of. Though, I might have chosen 'how to' and computer reference books with price in mind.

Well... Said mainstreaming was also feared to cause 'popular' books to be carried outside traditional bookstores causing the market to erode to erode for the latter. Especially impacting the broad availability of a varied selection of books outside the more densely populated areas. See, for example, Mariner's link above regarding the situation in Britain.

Of course, the availability of pretty much whatever to wherever over the internet have basically alleviated most of the cultural concerns, so these days it seems to be more about a protected group (in this case French booksellers) looking to maintain their privileged status.

That line of reasoning is just like saying "destroy all car manufacturers so the carriage manufacturers don't go broke" or "destroy all machines so we can employ more real people on the production lines". That's just pure nonsense.

Amazon stands up for french customers:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-shipping-costing-1000-per-day-in-france.html
Did you hear the one about Amazon? It offered free shipping in France, got sued for it by the French Booksellers' Union, and lost. Now it's choosing to pay €1,000 a day rather than follow the court's order. Ba-da-bing!

No, it's not funny, but that's because it's not a joke. The Tribunal de Grande Instance (a French appeals court) in Versailles ruled back in December that Amazon was violating the country's 1981 Lang law with its free shipping offer. That law forbids booksellers from offering discounts of more than 5 percent off the list price, and Amazon was found to be exceeding that discount when the free shipping was factored in.

The company was told to start charging within ten days or pay a daily fine. It also owes €100,000 to the French Booksellers' Union for the court battle and for the losses it has apparently caused them. With the holidays over and the ten-day grace period over, Amazon has officially announced its plan to ignore the court order and pay the fine instead, according to the International Herald Tribune.

Back