Amazon Lumberyard - Free*(conditions apply) game engine

Discussion in 'Tools and Software' started by Scott_Arm, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

So, this is weird. Totally free, unless you use amazon cloud for multiplayer. Based on Cryengine, or something.

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

3. fuboi

Newcomer

Free*!

*:
    Q. Can my Lumberyard game connect to services like Steamworks, Apple Game Center, Google Play Games, or console social services?
    Yes. Your game may read and write data to platform services and public third-party game services for player save state, identity, social graph, matchmaking, chat, notifications, achievements, leaderboards, advertising, player acquisition, in-game purchasing, analytics, and crash reporting.

Q. Can my game use an alternate web service instead of AWS?
    No. If your game servers use a non-AWS alternate web service, we obviously don’t make any money, and it’s more difficult for us to support future development of Lumberyard. By “alternate web service” we mean any non-AWS web service that is similar to or can act as a replacement for Amazon EC2, Amazon Lambda, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon RDS, Amazon S3, Amazon EBS, Amazon EC2 Container Service, or Amazon GameLift. You can use hardware you own and operate for your game servers.

Q. Is it okay for me to use my own servers?
    Yes. You can use hardware you own and operate for your game.

From http://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/faq/

4. Scott_Arm

Legend

Interesting, so they give you everything to make a game, but lock you into AWS web services. Still not a bad option for indie type people, making single player games that wouldn't rely on any web services anyways.

5. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Curious move for Crytek, but guess they're not really in the Indy space? And bigger devs would only use lumberjack if wanting to use Gamelift, which they presumably have a cut of?

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Yah, I'm curious about how Crytek is being compensated for this.

7. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

The timing of the Crytek deal was when the company was in dire straights. I wonder if it was a last hurrah on engine licencing?

Lumberjack is now a branch of the tech. It doesn't sound like they have plans to keep it compatible, having already rewritten several components.

8. PixResearch

Regular

Aside from the $60-70M amazon gave them when they most needed the cash?
    I'd assume wide use of your engine, a near guaranteed buyer for updates to the engine and helping AAA devs / asset store would be a fairly lucrative income stream too?

9. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

10. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I'm posting in here so I can find this thread later and do more reading. Very interesting!

11. Scott_Arm

Legend

Didn't realize Amazon had floated Crytek like that. Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't just buy them outright. That's usually what Amazon would do.

12. PixResearch

Regular

I don't think the actual numbers were ever confirmed but it was a big chunk of cash at exactly the right moment (arguably slightly too late)

13. Razor1

Veteran

ah great another engine to test :) should be fun. What do you guys think UE4 or Lumbaryard for an Indi game? I like that lumberyard is based on Cry Engine, the learning cruve will be almost nil at least for my team and me, and no upfront costs, and multiplayer, MMO similar server costs, but no sharing of profits.

What would the benefits be with promotions etc?

Any ideas?

14. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

15. L. Scofield

Veteran

This is what Crytek should have done a long time ago but instead they kept dragging their feet with their own Indie SDK and now it's even inferior to that of a licensee.

16. L. Scofield

Veteran

17. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Star Citizen used the CRYENGINE but they already changed >50% of the CRYENGINE code to build a first person universe game. They nor even done yet. Now they are running as Lumberyard engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More information: http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/23/s...-42-are-using-amazons-lumberyard-game-engine/

There has been little change in itself.
    For CIG, it remains basically the same engine up to the network stuff. However, what will change is the network structure. Probably CIG has cheaper access to severs? This would be god for an MMO with very high server costs. In return, Amazon could perhaps use technology from Star Citizen?

Amazon has advertised that they can edit terrain quickly. In SC, whole planets can be created quickly by hand with advanced tools.

Planet creator starts at 10:15:

It would be interesting to know whether anyone who uses the Lumberyard engine can have access to it at some point.

#17 Jupiter, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Pixel likes this.
  18. tuna

Veteran

I call shenanigans on this. I was under the impression that RSI had forked CryEngine years ago. Merging Lumberyard and RSI's changes would be incredibly difficult and take a lot of time for the RSI programming team.

19. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Renderers etc. remain as they are. I guess it is only about the network implementation. In cloud computing Amazon is far ahead of all others such as Microsoft.

EDIT:

Roberts responded
    CIG dev
    [​IMG]

#19 Jupiter, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    pharma, Malo and BRiT like this.
  20. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

#20 Jupiter, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018