AM2 and LGA775 futures?

infidel

Newcomer
When I first got my s939 3200+ Venice, I knew exactly what the future of my socket was going to be: upgradable to X2's, which I recently did with a 4800+.

My question concerns the AM2 and Intel's LGA775 supporting Conroe. Do we know right now/today what future CPU will fit in those sockets? Or are they both dead already?

I read something about socket AM2+ already?

Well, current C2D motherboards already support the quad-cores. Whether they'll support the 45nm CPUs is anybody's guess at this point. The AM2 boards should support AM2+ CPUs, though missing some of the new power saving features.

Well, current C2D motherboards already support the quad-cores. Whether they'll support the 45nm CPUs is anybody's guess at this point. The AM2 boards should support AM2+ CPUs, though missing some of the new power saving features.

I think hes asking about the actual socket type rather then the chipset. Personally i expect LGA775 to be replaced in 2008 when Core 2 technology is replaced but i could be wrong. AM2 is already on the block to be replaced later this year.

I think it's either LGA775 or AM2+ for motherboards then, skip AM2. Isn't K8L going to be for AM2+? If not, then it's LGA775 only IMO.

I'm feeling really good about my original s939 purchase long ago more and more as I read about these new mobos from AMD. The new CPU I have will hopefully carry me through these bubble-gum sockets until a more lasting socket is released in the future(Q3 '08 is my target for a new comp).

But for friends building now, what else could I possibly say but LGA775 until summer or later when AM2+ arrives? That is what I have been recommending, I guess I'll stick with that for now.

AM2+ is a minor revision, I'm as much excited by it as going from VIA KT333 to KT400 for instance. it has the dual voltage thing (maybe the memory controller will work a bit better), and Hypertransport 3.0's speed bump to match PCIe 2.0 .(or provide more bandwith to an IGP on the low end side).

so, AM2, AM2+, it's the same. there'll be AM3, later than expected, but as you know AM3 processors will work on AM2 socket (as their memory controller will support both DDR2 and DDR3 ; and HT 1.0 and 3.0 are compatible).
given that on AMD, having the right socket guarantees you compatibility, an AM2 motherboard might last for a good while. it'll accept 45nm processors, perhaps 32nm ones.

socket 775 on the other end, we risk yet another case of intel changing the electrical specs, rendering mobos incompatible with the new generation. that's ridiculous, they did this twice I think on 775.

I've actually been thinking about it some more.

AM2 mobo with an AM2+ or AM3 CPU w/o extra features wouldn't be the worst thing to have...as long as the replacement CPU is sufficiently better than the older one.

socket 775 on the other end, we risk yet another case of intel changing the electrical specs, rendering mobos incompatible with the new generation. that's ridiculous, they did this twice I think on 775.

Maybe, but when I bought my C2D I know and can clearly see that I have a clear upgrade path to a quad core CPU. That's very nice. I've lost all faith in either Intel or AMD in sockets, AMD especially screwed MANY with Socket 754 and 939 situation.

Maybe, but when I bought my C2D I know and can clearly see that I have a clear upgrade path to a quad core CPU. That's very nice. I've lost all faith in either Intel or AMD in sockets, AMD especially screwed MANY with Socket 754 and 939 situation.

How can you say that about 939? Just because it doesn't have DDR2 perhaps? Consider the options people had in early '05...certainly not Intel back then, s939 was great. I agree on s754 completely though.

Could you elaborate a bit on why you think 939 was a failure or screwed people? My only guess as to what you may mean is that by the time dual cores are actually useful for gaming, people might as well consider the quads instead?

If that is your point, you may be right. But I am hoping that duals will be more useful than quads until at least the end of this year due to price.

How can you say that about 939? Just because it doesn't have DDR2 perhaps? Consider the options people had in early '05...certainly not Intel back then, s939 was great. I agree on s754 completely though.

Could you elaborate a bit on why you think 939 was a failure or screwed people? My only guess as to what you may mean is that by the time dual cores are actually useful for gaming, people might as well consider the quads instead?

If that is your point, you may be right. But I am hoping that duals will be more useful than quads until at least the end of this year due to price.

I was just nothing that the confusion between 754 and 939, not that 939 is a bad socket (its not, its still sorta useful even today).

Could you elaborate a bit on why you think 939 was a failure or screwed people?

AMD really screwed people who are on Socket-939 by not producing any more CPUs for that socket. At the introduction time, the "upgrade" to Socket-AM showed no performance benefit. Even today it does not seem to show any performance benefit either. It seems the move was done merely to sell newer motherboards.

I've had an AMD X2 4400+ for close to two years, and have no upgrade path on that platform. The only sensible path leads to the Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad platform.

AMD really screwed people who are on Socket-939 by not producing any more CPUs for that socket. At the introduction time, the "upgrade" to Socket-AM showed no performance benefit. Even today it does not seem to show any performance benefit either. It seems the move was done merely to sell newer motherboards.

I've had an AMD X2 4400+ for close to two years, and have no upgrade path on that platform. The only sensible path leads to the Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad platform.

I see now how it can work that way, which is specifically why I do not buy the top end CPU's initially...so it does leave an upgrade path. Remember, from my perspective I went from the 2nd lowest CPU to the 2nd highest(3200+ to 4800+).

You must have spent a ton on that CPU back then...thankfully I didn't need dual core at that time as I rarely if ever multitask, just gaming. Still waiting for dual core gaming :rolleyes: ...but it's only been 3 weeks with the 4800, I can wait. I bought it now to ensure availability...I "was" prepared to wait until Crysis.

Back