Always Online DRM

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Silent_Buddha, Feb 18, 2010.

1. green.pixel

Veteran

Facepalm. DRM will be cracked immediately. How naive can they be?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28084189#post28084189

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/120639/gog-com-drm-causes-piracy

They should've just used Steamworks from the beginning and be done with it. But I'm willing to bet that Microsoft is twisting their arms into using GFWL. They should come up with why they don't want to use a much better service (which is free to implement) but that's probably something they don't want to admit, at least not in public.

#201 green.pixel, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Oh I am sorry, but that is fucking hilarious. That translates to: "Gee, well we have to do something, anything, it doesn't matter if it's the wrong thing, and well you never know, maybe we'll be lucky and invent the first uncrackable copy protection in the history of the world, and you know, if (when) it does get cracked, we'll just remove the copy protection anyway and trash all the time, work and money we put into it."

AFAICR, there's only been a couple of recent games that were not easily cracked (excluding the MMO games that need their own server shenanigans), and they were a couple of the "always on DRM" games from Ubisoft. They were still cracked, just it took a little longer.

Those paying customers that had to deal with "always on DRM" were totally inconvenienced when servers went down and couldn't manage the load, network dropouts that meant games could not be played and saves were lost, etc. Genuine paying customers had a much worse product and experience.

Far more damage was done to Ubisoft's business and reputation by the only-slightly-better-than-nothing-DRM than anything the pirates (who were never going to pony up any cash) could do, with little impact on sales except in a bad way.

3. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I can think of a few failed cracks. Test Drive Unlimited doesn't work right (can't enter races) and Crysis Warhead has the chicken for bullets crack detection. I own these but I wanted to crack them to bypass cd check and EA activation.

I've been curious about whether people are actively buying Witcher 2 from GoG to avoid DRM. I would not be surprised to find that most people don't care.

4. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Reporting back on the Assassins Creed 2 DRM, it works fine if the internet is disconnected during a game, and it works fine to start the game without internet access as well. At least the latest save is stored locally. (Only have one profile to test with, but it continued nicely where I left off from previous game)

So it seems the always on DRM is gone. Though for Settlers 7 it still requires internet access to start :(

5. Davros

Legend

What I cant understand is I also offer my own copy protection
    its much cheaper, and if publishers somehow think that lower price = inferior product, I also guarantee that my software will be just as infective as any other copy protection. And I also offer a money back promise that if your software remains unpirated after a week I will give a total refund...

Thats awesome :D

I love gog's approach, but being a collector i value the physical product I want the disc and the box and the 1.1 patch removed the securom

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

The chicken thing was patched out by another crack within a day, so it's not like it stopped piracy.

7. green.pixel

Veteran

8. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Well it did stop me from getting around the protection. ;) I gave up and just contacted support to get an activation reset. Seems like it has some value as a deterrent.

9. Davros

Legend

No an encouragement - I want that :D

10. I.S.T.

Veteran

11. Davros

Legend

The worlds greatest drm was created years ago

Scared the hell out of me......

They even released an update v2.0

12. Kyyla

Veteran

13. imaxx

Newcomer

yeah! loudly protest to UBI game security architect... they'd really use an external company for DRM, so at least they'd have 24/7 support and much less problems for end-users... :razz::razz:

#213 imaxx, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
  14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I was going to buy Heroes VI, but then I remembered it was Ubi who owns that franchise these days (rest in peace, 3do...), so that wasn't possible. Too bad, because I really like HOMM.

I played HOMM3 tons and tons way back, made my own cool maps and everything. The map editor was really awesome. Too bad there were tons of bugs in the enemy AI that often manifested itself during long games, causing the AIs to make really weird decisions like doing nothing except walking back and forth between two points on a map, suiciding against much stronger opponents and so on.

I also encountered AIs in late power games whose armies' troop counters appeared to have "wrapped around", numbering tens of thousands of units that the AI couldn't possibly have amassed legitimately.

Needless to say, those heroes ended up being quite unbeatable... :D

15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Adam "#dealwithit" Orth no longer works at Microsoft:

http://kotaku.com/microsofts-adam-orth-the-always-on-tweeter-no-long-472244698

Alledgedly resigns, rather than being fired. Either way, good riddance I am tempted to say. We don't need any apologists in developer positions for the practice of interrupting gameplay just because your connection has the hiccups. It's bad enough with the CEOs who reason that way.

16. Davros

Legend

To those who paint the gamestops of thes world as evil
    do you know why they push used games sales so much
    A £40 new game sale will net the shop £2

17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I dunno , gamestop makes $10 per disc sale of a new game. That is why the employee discount is 15%

18. Davros

Legend

19. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

20. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Cost you $40 then add in overhead. It's not like it's $10 pure profit. I believe the point is that stores like Gamestop make their money primarily from used game sales and the new games are there to draw the early adopters and get the stock out there for eventually trade-in at much lower value.