Always Online DRM

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Silent_Buddha, Feb 18, 2010.

1. green.pixel

Veteran

I think they will drop DRM with HoMM 6 and TMN 2. They can't be that stupid.

2. I.S.T.

Veteran

If only that were true.

3. green.pixel

Veteran

If monkeys know better, why don't publishers in the games industry?

4. I.S.T.

Veteran

Monkeys do not possess one of the worst attributes of humanity: ego.

5. green.pixel

Veteran

Instead of companies trying to outdo each other, what happens is a race to the bottom with "what can we get away with" approach.

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

That's what happens when companies give up on trying to make a better product, and just try and copy someone else's product, but cheaper. They want to be the first people to do something second.

7. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Yep, it is awful. But I need to confess that I caved in and sold out. In its and my defense, AC2 seems to have the slightly less obnoxious trimmed down DRM version, where you can at least save your game locally, and the game won't quit when your Internet connection goes down for a bit.

You succesfully exploited my weakness for bargains Ubisoft but I retain a semblance of dignity by teling myself I am still boycotting buying any of your DRM crap games at full price. Yay.

8. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I played AC1 for a bit and didn't need to login to anything.... Steam did have a Ubisoft email reg but I skipped it. It seems to be saving fine. Really nothing special but I didn't try offline mode.

I was worried that MSAA wouldn't work but I found out about editing the ini. All good now :)

9. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Would someone who's bought it please test it in offline mode?
    Had problems with Settlers 7 due to the always on DRM, so would like to know how this handles a lack of internet connection before breaking my boycott of Ubi..

10. Davros

Legend

It is Ac2 that has the always on drm

11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Still boycotting Ubi as long as they continue with this rubbish DRM nonsense they're still clinging on to. Bit of a bummer really that I have to do that, because the next HOMM is marching ever closer and I would really like to try it out. But...I gotta stick with me principles. :(

12. Davros

Legend

I boycotted codemasters because they charged for cheatcodes (seriously how penny pinching can you get)
    and no I didnt want cheats and if i did I could of downloaded a program to generate them

ubi released prince of persia with no drm, it was pirated. Proof they claim that no drm = pirated game.
    They then released ac2 with always on drm, it was pirated. Strangely they did not draw the conclusion that always on drm = pirated game.

13. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

There are other games with what amounts to always on DRM. It may be for saving the game or to access the "free" DLC. Whatever. They basically want you to attach your serial to an online account as a form of DRM. Games for Windows, EA online, Steam cloud, etc.

-Resident Evil 5
    -Mass Effect 2
    -Red Faction Guerrilla (I think)
    -DIRT 2 and 3
    -Portal 2
    -Dead Space 2
    -C&C4 but who plays that anyway

I'm sure there are more but I can't remember them right now. Seems like a lost cause to fight this when almost every company is jumping on the bandwagon.

14. nightshade

nightshade Wookies love cookies!
    Veteran

You can play all those games offline (don't even need a net connection for the GFWL games), and in Mass Effect 2 you can disable the game from making any online connection to EA network as well.

15. TheD

Newcomer

Most of the games you listed are not anywhere near as bad as ubisoft's insane DRM.

I seem to play Dirt2 fine without an online GFWL account, same with RFG.

Can someone tell me why they even do stuff like this? The fact is that it does not stop people from pirating the games, it just makes the devs look stupid.

16. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Well, broke down and bought AC2. Will try to test tonight if it works offline and what happens when internet access disappears during play.

17. Davros

Legend

iirc the game stops with a no net connection msg

18. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Yeah, that's what I thought, but read a few comments on the steam forum that they supposedly toned it down and remove that requirement. Will be interesting to see.
    (Not that online access is much of a problem, but still)

19. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I should probably know this, but how does the DRM on AC:Brotherhood compare to that of AC:2 ? Is it as bad or have they scaled it back to only startup times?

20. nightshade

nightshade Wookies love cookies!
    Veteran

With the upcoming release of SSF4 AE for PC, capcom's Christian Svensson recently mentioned why Capcom views DRM to be important.

I assume its the same reason for other companies as well.