All the world's aircraft carriers

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/carriers.htm

carriers2010.gif

:oops:

We have 11 apparently; 10 Nimitz class and a lone Enterprise class set to be retired in 2013.

The only non-US nuclear powered carrier is the French Charles de Gaulle. Still, it is not even half the size of a Nimitz (and has a rather hilarious history).

Fun link Homer, thanks.

I particularly enjoyed the replica of a Nimitz-class carrier which is sitting somewhere in a small Chinese lake.

ChineseNimitzGE.jpg

What will they come up with next?

Hey this is a cool visual too, a Nimitz turning hard port at her max of 35 knots:

USS_NIMITZ_68__HARD_A_PORT_.jpg

What is the South Korean aircraft carrier? I don't remember ROK navy has any aircraft carriers. Currently there are two types of DDH (helicopter destroyers) in ROK navy, but they don't have flat decks.

The Japanese Hyuga DDH has flat deck, and it's relatively large for a DDH (18,000t full load).

[EDIT] After asking a friend, it may be the Dokdo class amphibious assault ship, which has flat deck.

Hey this is a cool visual too, a Nimitz turning hard port at her max of 35 knots:

Excellent!

And here is a Nimitz class next to an old Audacious class (roughly half the displacement of Nimitz).

745pxhmsarkroyalussnimi.jpg

Enterprise next to the Charles de Gaulle.

ussenterprisefscharlesd.jpg

And here comes the Gerald R. Ford class to replace Nimitz. Roughly the same size but requires a crew of *only* 4,700.

775pxcvn78artistimage.jpg

AFAIKS this is the only fighter aircraft the nz airforce has
DH_82A_Tiger_Moth_-_N81DH.jpg

no wonder the nz airforce is the terror of the pacific

AFAIKS this is the only fighter aircraft the nz airforce has
We have a bunch of WWII fighters :p
But seriously, we have something vastly better & cheaper: a 2000km moat.

Fighter planes can't do strike missions to NZ & back from anywhere on land -> only navies with carriers pose an air threat & they all belong to friends, allies or countries with no regional presence.

I was about to say that they wouldn't get the funding to build such fleet nowadays - until I educated myself on the subject and learned that that half of the Nimitz-class ships were commissioned after fall of the Soviet block, and that the new Gerald R. Ford-class is already on its way.

Crazy. Well, the gigantic defense budget has to be used for something.

We have a bunch of WWII fighters :p
But seriously, we have something vastly better & cheaper: a 2000km moat.
Im not sure, but our WW2 fighters are not allowed to do loop de loops, for fear the wings will fall off!
BTW - Im not advocating nz having any airforce (perhaps just a few cargo planes + helicopters), in fact Ild love to see the defense budget halved

Back in the dark ages of the 80s the Nimitz class carrier group (a carrier has a ton of support ships) cost $1 Trillion. Scrap building one group and invest $1T into economic incubation in the Middle East and you just might be a bit more for your money.

Back