All seven spe enabled for a game ? Read here....

luke76

Newcomer
....One SPU has been dedicated to rendering the dynamically flowing nature of the Mage's cloak, and while it wasn't fully fleshed out, it demonstrated how impressive the level of detail will be for the final game. Similarly, we discovered that all seven SPUs will be utilized in the game for different purposes, such as water which will be handled by one SPU, particle effects that will be handled by a second SPU, three dedicated SPUs for physics calculation, etc.

Who knows something ??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/726/726333p1.html

IGNs technical knowhow is pants. I doubt it's a typo. I think it's just IGN not really knowing what they're talking about. 'PS3 has 7 SPEs. UL is using all the SPEs. Thus it must be using all 7, natch.' They're not smart enough to appreciate that 'using all the SPEs' means 'using all the available SPEs' - otherwise UL would be using 8 SPEs on some machines ;)

If they just added some dynamic lighting, it'd make the world of difference to this game! Apparently they've got parallax mapping on walls etc, but with moving lightsources I'm wondering what the point is! No-one's likely to notice.

If they just added some dynamic lighting, it'd make the world of difference to this game! Apparently they've got parallax mapping on walls etc, but with moving lightsources I'm wondering what the point is! No-one's likely to notice.

Actually parallax mapping won't show so much with moving lighting as a moving viewpoint - assuming the camera can actually move, parallax mapping could be useful.

Bump-mapping, on the other hand, can be fairly pointless without a moving light-source (though naturally specular high-lights move with the camera as well as the light, so there are caveats there...)

Bump-mapping, on the other hand, can be fairly pointless without a moving light-source (though naturally specular high-lights move with the camera as well as the light, so there are caveats there...)

Even without moving lights you likely to have objects in multiple lighting situations, not using bump-maps would require you to burn massive amounts of pre-baked colour maps to accomodate every lighting situation your game has...

And thats not even getting to skinned or morphed characters, where the real-time topology changes preclude pre-backed solutions.

but the problem is only one,ps3 can use all seven spe for a game ? No one knows nothing about this ?
Improbable seeing as we've been told one SPE is reserved for OS. It might be able to time-share as it were, but that'd be unreliable and as a developer you couldn't depend on that 7th SPE being available, so you wouldn't want to target it even if you could if it's going to be shared with the OS.

Improbable seeing as we've been told one SPE is reserved for OS. It might be able to time-share as it were, but that'd be unreliable and as a developer you couldn't depend on that 7th SPE being available, so you wouldn't want to target it even if you could if it's going to be shared with the OS.
Depends of how time critical the task is that you want to put there if the OS indeed allow time sharing. It could maybe be comparable to having some calculations computed in the idle loop of a simple OS.

An example could be some strategic AI for bots that does not need to be updated that frequently.

well i hoper that someday we will knows the truth :(

Back