All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to give 1 to my son for the holidays so he can replace his One X, I'm replacing an AppleTV 4k and putting a Series S there, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the extra one yet. Was too good of a deal to pass up.
Splash out on a media remote. The controller quickly becomes tediously inconvenient for controlling TV/streams. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this and how the Series S fairs as a media-centric playback device.

I'm going to give 1 to my son for the holidays so he can replace his One X, I'm replacing an AppleTV 4k and putting a Series S there, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the extra one yet. Was too good of a deal to pass up.
yea it really is a good deal. I think your son will love the update there.

A market of 7 millions consoles is not bad, I think they don't care if the gaming market is much bigger.

But they aren't there yet and there is no guarantee that they will get there. They currently stand at 670k consoles sold in China. And relative to conditions conducive to gaming in China, it's worse now than it was for the PS4. Basically government restrictions on gaming have caused the Chinese gaming market to shrink for the first time in its history.

It's not just regulations related to how many hours young people can play, it's also the government limiting how many new development projects it'll authorize (down to 172 in 2022 from 755 in 2021). And while the government doesn't have that level of control over foreign developers making games outside of China, they do have the ability to determine which and how many foreign titles will be allowed to be sold within the country as those must also gain government approval. While that has been less restrictive than the limits placed on Chinese developers, we don't know whether Xi Jing Ping will desire to further reduce the amount spent on gaming (both in terms of currency and playing time) via Government restrictions on foreign games sold within the country.

Basically if foreign gaming consoles remain relatively free of restrictions due to their absolutely miniscule impact on Chinese gamers, then it may be possible that they'll be able to grow while the Chinese gaming market continues to shrink. But that'll only be possible as long as they don't grow too much and attract the attention of the Chinese government. Or to put it another way, as long as the Chinese government doesn't feel that foreign consoles and games are a significant distraction to their population away from what Xi Jing Ping wants the Chinese populace to be doing, they'll be allowed to continue as is but if they start to feel it's "distracting" the Chinese populace away from what they desire then they'll start to heavily restrict it.

Regards,
SB

This week's Famitsu numbers

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 102,605 (3,083,839)
Switch Lite – 40,432 (4,920,529)
Switch – 27,656 (18,866,523)
PlayStation 5 – 26,946 (1,848,649)
PlayStation 4 – 5,803 (7,826,141)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 4,912 (291,848)
Xbox Series X – 1,373 (168,640)
Xbox Series S – 154 (212,419)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 34 (1,189,185)

Switch selling well over 160,000 consoles. Better shipments of PlayStation 5's. PlayStation 4 sales are up significantly selling more than the series consoles combined. To me buying a PlayStation 4 at this point is a waste of money but that is my opinion. Also a significant week for PlayStation in the Top 30 chart.

Last edited:
PlayStation 4 sales are up significantly selling more than the series consoles combined. To me buying a PlayStation 4 at this point is a waste of money but that is my opinion

Forget where I saw it, but they said there were GoW:R PS4 bundles, so that may explain the numbers being higher than the usual dozen through to a couple hundred range.

To put that into context in terms of market reach (how much of the available buying population is buying the product) the PS5 is doing relatively worse in China than the XBS consolers are doing in Japan. IE - it's reaching a smaller percentage of the Chinese market than Xbox is the Japanese market.
All Chinese growth is good though. You can also measure performance relative to incomes rather than just full population - what proportion of the households with incomes comparable to Japan are buying PS5s (and other consoles)? Quick Googlage suggest median income is 10x higher in Japan, so immediately you are looking at a tiny fraction of the total population that'll be a realistic audience for PS5. The actual sell through to Chinese with Japan-level incomes might be far higher (or not, whatever the numbers are).

I think the fact Sony are expecting a notable growth quite significant as it means changing attitudes - those gamers wanting a 'console' experience rather than existing PC and mobile. Although possibly too late given our forecasts for future generations of consoles! 🤣Plus it ignores the grey market that existed prior generations where sales might not be increasing versus actual install base in China.

All Chinese growth is good though. You can also measure performance relative to incomes rather than just full population - what proportion of the households with incomes comparable to Japan are buying PS5s (and other consoles)? Quick Googlage suggest median income is 10x higher in Japan, so immediately you are looking at a tiny fraction of the total population that'll be a realistic audience for PS5. The actual sell through to Chinese with Japan-level incomes might be far higher (or not, whatever the numbers are).

I think the fact Sony are expecting a notable growth quite significant as it means changing attitudes - those gamers wanting a 'console' experience rather than existing PC and mobile. Although possibly too late given our forecasts for future generations of consoles! 🤣Plus it ignores the grey market that existed prior generations where sales might not be increasing versus actual install base in China.

Sure, I'm just extremely skeptical of their claims. We're 2 years (1.5 years in China) in and they've reached 670k. At that rate, they'd need 15 years to get to 7 million units. Of course, sales could accelerate, but with Ji Xinping being relatively hostile to gaming in China, I'm not sure how likely it is for sales to increase significantly without the government stepping in.

Regards,
SB

Sure, I'm just extremely skeptical of their claims. We're 2 years (1.5 years in China) in and they've reached 670k. At that rate, they'd need 15 years to get to 7 million units. Of course, sales could accelerate, but with Ji Xinping being relatively hostile to gaming in China, I'm not sure how likely it is for sales to increase significantly without the government stepping in.

Regards,
SB

This is official from Sony presentation to investor and don't forget PS5 is supply constraint.

EO3R62o.png

Supply may be constrained, but they also just raised the price.

Because of currency problem and again in multiples country in Europe this is not a problem. Here in Spain PS5 cost minimum 600 euros for cyber monday with a PS5 digital. They exist only in retailer bundle and they sold out pretty fast. PS5 ordered now, will be deliver January 2023. I am curious to know when PS5 will be easily available. Imo it means be able to buy it out of bundle in any retailer in every country of the world where the PS5 is available and at any moment. I think next Spring but 31rst march 2023 Sony will have shipped 42.3 millions PS5 and I am not sure it will be available in quantity. I hope it will be the case before June 2023.

Sold out but the best offer and it is gone in minutes. Stock is better before it was seconds. Other offer are around minimum 840 euros PS5 with 3 games or two games with an additional controller and sold out too.

In Europe or Japan where the price increase, this is not a problem and they sold every PS5 shipped.

Last edited:
Supply may be constrained, but they also just raised the price.

If price were an issue then PS5s would be sat on shelves like PS3s when they first launched at its bonkers price. This isn't the case, through. Whilst price is definitely going to be an issue for some consumers, it's evident that demand is still outstripping supply and that manufacture is what is limiting wider adoption.

If price were an issue then PS5s would be sat on shelves like PS3s when they first launched at its bonkers price. This isn't the case, through. Whilst price is definitely going to be an issue for some consumers, it's evident that demand is still outstripping supply and that manufacture is what is limiting wider adoption.
If you're only talking about next months sales, sure. But, If you're talking about meeting long term goals in regions with lower incomes, it is going to have an impact.

This week's Famitsu numbers

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 102,605 (3,083,839)
Switch Lite – 40,432 (4,920,529)
Switch – 27,656 (18,866,523)
PlayStation 5 – 26,946 (1,848,649)
PlayStation 4 – 5,803 (7,826,141)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 4,912 (291,848)
Xbox Series X – 1,373 (168,640)
Xbox Series S – 154 (212,419)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 34 (1,189,185)

Switch selling well over 160,000 consoles. Better shipments of PlayStation 5's. PlayStation 4 sales are up significantly selling more than the series consoles combined. To me buying a PlayStation 4 at this point is a waste of money but that is my opinion. Also a significant week for PlayStation in the Top 30 chart.
It's not for many consumers. It's much cheaper than PS5 (here scalpers are selling it 3 to 4 times more than used PS4) and most recent games are also available there. I just bought one with Stray for a present. The person is loving the game!
Capture.PNG

Japan sales very good week for Xbox Series this week and better some improvement for PS5, the Switch is alone on another planet.
I am not surprised people are still buying PS4s but I am puzzled by the fact that there are still new PS4s to sell.

It's not for many consumers. It's much cheaper than PS5 (here scalpers are selling it 3 to 4 times more than used PS4) and most recent games are also available there. I just bought one with Stray for a present. The person is loving the game!

I am not surprised people are still buying PS4s but I am puzzled by the fact that there are still new PS4s to sell.
I think someone further up the thread said there was a God of War bundle for the ps4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back