All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

What are the reasons, though?
I’ve stated a few previously but will summarise;

1) I don’t like the rental system and adding yet another monthly cost to my outgoings (all these little bits add up!)
2) I don’t like not knowing when a game might be pulled
3) I prefer to control my gaming content to my needs for the best value
4) I don’t have a great deal of spare time for gaming so having 100s of games available doesn’t bother me, I also have a substantial backlog
5) At the moment there’s no USP content which makes it essential to me

It just doesn’t work for me, and others I might add…as I always get told there’s something wrong with me to not love GP. There are others like me who just don’t see the value…but as I said previously that may change if the next year or so…but even then I wouldn’t pay the full price.

I think @iroboto summed it up that if Sony had a similar service I would likely get it as the content they produce is what I enjoy playing more, also I buy most my content on PS5 so would be potentially saving some money.

Not that surprising from what I've read on R-Era where physical sales isn't really a thing for consoles anymore and are extremely low even on the PS side too. Not as low as Xbox but still under a 0.5 attach rate. Then add in GamePass / GamePassUltimate and just last week they added xCloud too. So that's even more of a push for Digital games on Xbox.
Yeah, MS want shot of physical anyway.

I ain't got time for that. What better research than to just try the game?

Tommy McClain
Well there’s several reasons, firstly I can probably research a game on (at most) 20-30 mins…most games will take more than that to ‘get into’.

Secondly I can research while having a tea or lunch break at work - I can’t try a game out.

Thirdly I don’t want to reduce my limited gaming time any further by trying games out, I have games I need to play!

But again, yeah, I can see why people might like to try countless games and genres they’ve not played before.

Not that surprising from what I've read on R-Era where physical sales isn't really a thing for consoles anymore and are extremely low even on the PS side too.
Then why continue selling PlayStation hardware? Profits on accessories I'm guessing..

Then why continue selling PlayStation hardware? Profits on accessories I'm guessing..

They continue because there is a market. Physical sales is around 40/45% of games sold but revenue and profit is much lower than this for Sony.

Back to Game Pass for a minute... I just found out that I can get it on my shiny new iPad Pro, and I should be able to use my Dualsense to play... Anyone with that experience by any chance? Worth it?

I’ve stated a few previously but will summarise;

1) I don’t like the rental system and adding yet another monthly cost to my outgoings (all these little bits add up!)
2) I don’t like not knowing when a game might be pulled
3) I prefer to control my gaming content to my needs for the best value
4) I don’t have a great deal of spare time for gaming so having 100s of games available doesn’t bother me, I also have a substantial backlog
5) At the moment there’s no USP content which makes it essential to me

It just doesn’t work for me, and others I might add…as I always get told there’s something wrong with me to not love GP. There are others like me who just don’t see the value…but as I said previously that may change if the next year or so…but even then I wouldn’t pay the full price.

I think @iroboto summed it up that if Sony had a similar service I would likely get it as the content they produce is what I enjoy playing more, also I buy most my content on PS5 so would be potentially saving some money.
What is "USP content"?

And I'm not trying to attack you or tell you there's something wrong with you, I'm genuinely curious about this. I can understand the cost argument, but as I've detailed in other posts, I've been redeeming reward points and haven't payed for Gamepass in a year now. But the rental part.... Do you not rent other content? I'm talking about music or movies mostly. How is that different? Again, this isn't meant to be an attack, I'm curious how renting games would be different than, say, subscribing to netflix or something for movies and TV shows for your needs.

Limited deals (here one week) to sell XSS have started here. XSS + Fifa 22 at 299€. This is a 60€ game.

SqoH6I1.png

Back to Game Pass for a minute... I just found out that I can get it on my shiny new iPad Pro, and I should be able to use my Dualsense to play... Anyone with that experience by any chance? Worth it?
I hear the experience is pretty good with it. No difference from using Xbox controllers

There's also been GameStop trade-in deals, where you could get a Series S + Fifa for 199€ or lower. The lowest is 99€, but the sweet spot seems to be 149€. This one runs until October 10th.
Ireland's page @ https://www.gamestop.ie/Xbox#xbox

Format-XBoxFIFATrade-desktop.jpg

What is "USP content"?

And I'm not trying to attack you or tell you there's something wrong with you, I'm genuinely curious about this. I can understand the cost argument, but as I've detailed in other posts, I've been redeeming reward points and haven't payed for Gamepass in a year now. But the rental part.... Do you not rent other content? I'm talking about music or movies mostly. How is that different? Again, this isn't meant to be an attack, I'm curious how renting games would be different than, say, subscribing to netflix or something for movies and TV shows for your needs.
Unique selling point- as in if I want to watch the final season of the walking dead I have to subscribe to Disney…all the content on GP I can buy.

So yes, I do subscribe to Netflix, but actually there’s a bit of a caveat - I have 4 kids and they leach the subscription. I am a bit peed tho, I wanted to watch that Train to Buscan (spelling?) and it was removed before I go chance…but then if I want to buy the film it’s just a few quid…not £30ish for a game I’ve half finished.

I don’t pay for GPU - and I earn more than it costs to subscribe so as it stands I’m fine, I’m just saying I don’t think it’s worth the sub and I know others feel the same way.

What is "USP content"?

The service is great; but the content for him is not. Therefore not worth the service.

Ie; humble bundle service is great, hundreds of games for whatever you want to pay and sometimes a small charge. But nearly 99% of those games you don’t want, so people don’t want to buy humble bundle.

for him; he knows the service is a great value, but only if you like the products that are on the service. That’s the largest catch, it’s the reason I don’t care to subscribe to Gold or PS+ if they didn’t have MP attached. The games aren’t what I want so there is no value there; it’s more like loosing money.

MS still has about 5 years of development to go before they can entice some diehard physical media gamers. It'll all boil down to the content whether or not MS can draw someone like goonergaz in.

It'll all boil down to the content whether or not MS can draw someone like goonergaz in.

They'll have an easier way of bringing in consumers like that through their children. A few instances of lost or broken or scratched up physical games. Or children asking for more and more games or games that their friends are playing.

Unique selling point- as in if I want to watch the final season of the walking dead I have to subscribe to Disney…all the content on GP I can buy.

So yes, I do subscribe to Netflix, but actually there’s a bit of a caveat - I have 4 kids and they leach the subscription. I am a bit peed tho, I wanted to watch that Train to Buscan (spelling?) and it was removed before I go chance…but then if I want to buy the film it’s just a few quid…not £30ish for a game I’ve half finished.

I don’t pay for GPU - and I earn more than it costs to subscribe so as it stands I’m fine, I’m just saying I don’t think it’s worth the sub and I know others feel the same way.
Gotcha. In case you still want to watch Train to Busan it's free (with ads) on Crackle. You don't even have to make an account, you can just watch it. And if you have multiple streaming subs and want to search for a movie or show, you can always use justwatch.com and it will search most of them for you

I believe that MS are headed to 40+ dev teams cranking out so much good content that GP will become almost irresistible to most gamers, but they aren't there yet.

Although a year where The Medium, Flight Sim, The Ascent, Psychonauts 2, Hades, Scarlet Nexus, Forza 5, and Halo Infinite came to GamePass is getting them there...

Last edited:
MS still has about 5 years of development to go before they can entice some diehard physical media gamers. It'll all boil down to the content whether or not MS can draw someone like goonergaz in.
Lol they don’t care about customers like me, I’m not worth the effort…think of getting customers like squeezing an orange, the juice is still flowing with reasonable effort. To get me they would need to smash the orange with a hammer to get those last drops! J/k

They'll have an easier way of bringing in consumers like that through their children. A few instances of lost or broken or scratched up physical games. Or children asking for more and more games or games that their friends are playing.
I do buy digital, in fact I started with the PS5DE! Paying through the nose for 2 games I couldn’t get into quickly made me realise my mistake and so I upgraded - it’s already paying dividends!

Ironically I went the other way with MS from the XSX to the XSS (for rewards and the occasional GP game).

My pattern is generally wait for games to hit a sweet spot physically and buy to play and sell I. At minimum loss. If I like the game enough I’ll upgrade to digital. My kids hardly use my console these days as they’re all grown up (unlike me ;))

Gotcha. In case you still want to watch Train to Busan it's free (with ads) on Crackle. You don't even have to make an account, you can just watch it. And if you have multiple streaming subs and want to search for a movie or show, you can always use justwatch.com and it will search most of them for you
Thanks, I’ll definitely subscribe to that service! Lol

As a father of three boys (3, 11, 13), I can say that my kids in particular aren't interested in playing lots of games. They spend a ridiculous amount of time on Fortnite and not much time on anything else.

I moved house last weekend and we've had to go a few days without broadband. The PlayStation hardly got used, they played a bit of Minecraft, a bit of R&C, and a little Towerfall. Mostly using their phones instead.

I also tried PlayStation Now on a trial period a few months back and they didn't use it *at all*.

Based on my personal experience, I don't think game subscription services will work beyond the hardcore gamers that want to play as much as possible. Kids just want to play whatever is the hottest game of the moment and right now that is Fortnite.

If Microsoft or Sony want to swallow up the market of teenagers and children, then they need a game that appeals to them more than Fortnite. The same honestly applies to me too; I'd sooner spend £70 on a game I actually want to play, rather than £60/year for 300 games I don't care about.

Back