All other XB360 FPS launch games are in CoD 2's shadow at the moment.

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Well we don't have too much longer to wait for the launch of the 360. As far as first person shooters go CoD 2 is in the drivers seat at the moment. I guess this really shouldn't come as much of a suprise though, since the team behind the CoD 2 has consistently recieved accolades, been showered with praise, and won game of the year awards for their last two releases. Infinity Ward is living up to their elite status. Perfect Dark is an enigma right now, despite Rare being a MS first party and all the years of development. PD is a dark horse right now, but maybe Microsoft/Rare can pull a rabbit out of their hats. Frankly I'd rather see PD delayed then rushed out, it seems plenty of games will be available that will satisfy during the launch window.

I'm doubting Ghost Recon being ready. No footage of this game running on hardware has been shown, and no screenshots from the game running on actual XB360 hardware. UBI does have a reason to hold up on the hype because they had Ghost Recon Summit Strike to sell, so maybe Ghost Recon for the XB360 is in better shape than UBI has so far shown.

Let's wait, at least, until Leipzig's Games Convention and X05 to see what Rare have done with PD0, before asking for a delay.

If it still look like what they displayed in magazines and in the MTV show... Well...

I was laying with Conker the other day and I'm still amazed how Conker can look this good on Xbox and how PD0 can look this bad on X360.
It's not the same teams working on thoses two projects, and that's showing.

Now, from a business perspective, PD0 have to be a launch title, big launch titles tend to sell a lot better and that would be a great boost for the, now old, Perfect Dark franchise, if you ask me.
Even if the graphics won't probably be up to snuff, it would at least greenlight a Perfect Dark sequel which would be at least (knowing rare) a third generation title, and therefore boast good graphics.

Vysez said:
Let's wait, at least, until Leipzig's Games Convention and X05 to see what Rare have done with PD0, before asking for a delay.

If it still look like what they displayed in magazines and in the MTV show... Well...

I was laying with Conker the other day and I'm still amazed how Conker can look this good on Xbox and how PD0 can look this bad on X360.
It's not the same teams working on thoses two projects, and that's showing.

Now, from a business perspective, PD0 have to be a launch title, big launch titles tend to sell a lot better and that would be a great boost for the, now old, Perfect Dark franchise, if you ask me.
Even if the graphics won't probably be up to snuff, it would at least greenlight a Perfect Dark sequel which would be at least (knowing rare) a third generation title, and therefore boast good graphics.

agreed, all first/launch games should look at least as good as pgr3

Vysez said:

Following in the footsteps of Halo (mostly).... :p

Why are you guys harping on pdz ? Do you know how it plays ? Yes the graphics were crap from what we've seen but as long as the gameplay is great they could have easily thrown more artists onto the gam eto make it look better .

This is a game where the combat portion of the engine has been workedo n for 5 years now . I'm sure it will play great and as long as it looks good . not awsome , not mind blowing but good it will sell extremely well

hasanahmad said:
sorry but development of perfect dark zero is complete.

it has been reported... not sure of a link right now but somewhere on TeamXbox, that PD0 was done with all GAMEPLAY elements as of E3 and that the rest of the time until going gold was to do *nothing but* work on upgrading the graphics and bug fixes.

I'll wait and see. :D

jvd said:
Why are you guys harping on pdz ? Do you know how it plays ? Yes the graphics were crap from what we've seen but as long as the gameplay is great they could have easily thrown more artists onto the gam eto make it look better .

This is a game where the combat portion of the engine has been workedo n for 5 years now . I'm sure it will play great and as long as it looks good . not awsome , not mind blowing but good it will sell extremely well

Myself, I'm pretty happy with the choices that will be available for games during the launch window even without any from Rare. I'd hate to see PDZ fall victom to a launch deadline. If Rare needs more time to polish PDZ, MS should give it to them.

does launch technically include christmas holiday season? Long as PD0 is out by christmas no worries

CoD is top of my launch list though along with, Madden NBA Live and PGR3 ( i wish there were a REAL shooter available like Radiant Silvergun!)

This game has been in production before MS bought Rare, and it's not like they are designing a new engine it's gonna be PD1 engine just brought up to date with 360 tech, as for the graphics it's still up in the AIR, it could get better or stay the same from what we saw, remember the 2 games that Rare have at launch could have been finished a few months ago, it's been rumured that Rare had 360 alpha kits before anyone, probably before Bungie, given the development schedule MS could have plan this well in advance knowing that they would not have Halo for 360 launch, so they made PD0 the replacement Halo.

We should think that we really dont know how the gfx are, if you remember there are some screens that are HL2 level but by the time of E3 apeared a fw more screens ( 6/8? weeks old) a lot better than the first ones like this one
http://www.beactive-wa.org/images/pdz1.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/misc/sg/perfectdarkzero02_010605.jpg
http://media.xboxyde.com/misc/sg/perfectdarkzero01_010605.jpg
Along with others, so if this is in a Alpha dev kit (this is very good to a X800) there is a really good change to get a exlibris gameplay and gfx, anyway I keep my opinion, I prefer PDZ deleayed than rushed, if it turns that way.

http://www.rare-extreme.com/games.php?game=perfectdzero&page=perfectscreens.html

Brimstone said:
PD is a dark horse right now, but maybe Microsoft/Rare can pull a rabbit out of their hats.

I agree, PDZ is defiantly the dark horse of Xbox 360's launch line-up. Rare has talent and I have faith in them as a developer, but with this gen they dropped the ball and it remains to be seen if they can pick it back up.

Brimstone said:
Frankly I'd rather see PD delayed then rushed out, it seems plenty of games will be available that will satisfy during the launch window.

I agree, their will be plenty of launch titles ready for Xbox 360, however, without the big hitters (PDZ, Kameo, PGR3, etc) it would seem somewhat lackluster. Gamers won't simply buy Xbox 360 for likes of Full Auto or Madden 2006, they need something with brand recognition and draw. PDZ brings that to the table and that is why it is a must have for Microsoft at launch.

Inquisitive_Idiot said:
... Gamers won't simply buy Xbox 360 for likes of Full Auto or Madden 2006, they need something with brand recognition and draw. ...

while I agree that PD0 is a must have launch (and I believe it will be there and be very good) do not underestimate Madden.

Talk about brand recognition, I'm pretty sure it's the most sold franchise in history (or one of). It will certainly attract a LOT of Madden/football players to the system all by itself. The sports community is huge and add X360 LIVE play with Madden and you will have some rabid sports gamers on your hands come launch day. :D

Back