Alienware PCI-Express

rainz

Veteran
Alienware-PCIX.jpg

Just received the email from Alienware 2 mins ago. It's in store !

RainZ

Lezmaka said:
It's not PCI-X.

It seems that a lot of people has a hard time getting the fact that PCI-X and PCI-Express (PCIe) is two completely different standards.

i mean PCI EXPRESS .. i was just too lazy to type it .. :oops:

When i play any RTS game on the net and i call my game blablabla XPERT/XPRT i mean expert .. just calm down ;)

Alienware-PCIX.jpg > this is the name of the pic .. You should post at Alienware to tell them that's not PCIX ;)

RainZ

Might as well type AMD instead of Intel, or Ati instead of Nvidia then.

I don't think Alienware would need to resort to using ImageShack to host a picture either. Everything I've seen on Alienware's website says PCIe or PCI-Express.

Oh oh i see you dont get it ... When you use an abbreviation
that looks like the other one that's mean it's the other one ?

Let's see what you'll answer.

RainZ

Lezmaka said:
Might as well type AMD instead of Intel, or Ati instead of Nvidia then.

I don't think Alienware would need to resort to using ImageShack to host a picture either. Everything I've seen on Alienware's website says PCIe or PCI-Express.

What's your point in all this ?

RainZ

rainz said:

PCI-X is not an abbreviation for PCI-Express, PCI-X is a completely different technology. The short form for PCI-Express is PCIe.

Tim said:
rainz said:

PCI-X is not an abbreviation for PCI-Express, PCI-X is a completely different technology. The short form for PCI-Express is PCIe.

this is an abbreviation for ME and i made a mistake with not using the right letter " E " instead of " X ".

RainZ

rainz said:
this is an abbreviation for ME and i made a mistake with not using the right letter " E " instead of " X ".
Don't mean to be too anal, but that abbr. is already TAKEN.
Using it in PCI-E sense is not just "not 100% correct" but "100% wrong".

anaqer said:
rainz said:
Don't mean to be too anal, but that abbr. is already TAKEN.
Using it in PCI-E sense is not just "not 100% correct" but "100% wrong".

Exactly what i said so why are you saying that again ?

RainZ

I don't know, maybe using another product's name even for in-house abbreviation left me somewhat confused... :?

The first batch of PCI-Express mobos will works on ATX PSU / ATX Case ?
( Because on the PCIe video cards i've seen so far the power plug isnt the same )

And if not the BTX is for this year ?

Still not sure if i change my order for a PCIe X800 XT or if i keep the preorder of the X800 XT AGP ( just preordered for now ).

EDIT: Oh and can we use our current sound cards / network cards / +++ in the new PCI-E 4X slots ? ( 1X too small / 16X for the video card i guess ? )

RainZ

rainz said:
EDIT: Oh and can we use our current sound cards / network cards / +++ in the new PCI-E 4X slots ?

Absolutely not, and not just because the connector is physically different either. PCIe on a hardware level is completely incompatible with old PCI. On a logical level (bus protocol), it is backwards compatible and with extensions to improve things. This enables driverless PCI<->PCIe bridge chips just like serial and parallel ATA can be bridged seamlessly, but of course you'd need the bridge chip to be mounted on the actual PCIe expansion card to be able to interface old-style PCI network chips etc to your new PCIe mobo...

So the answer to your question is a most definite no. :D

Guden Oden said:
rainz said:
EDIT: Oh and can we use our current sound cards / network cards / +++ in the new PCI-E 4X slots ?

Absolutely not, and not just because the connector is physically different either. PCIe on a hardware level is completely incompatible with old PCI. On a logical level (bus protocol), it is backwards compatible and with extensions to improve things. This enables driverless PCI<->PCIe bridge chips just like serial and parallel ATA can be bridged seamlessly, but of course you'd need the bridge chip to be mounted on the actual PCIe expansion card to be able to interface old-style PCI network chips etc to your new PCIe mobo...

So the answer to your question is a most definite no. :D

Woah damn it .. Worst than i expected .. i'll keep my preorder on the X800 XT *AGP* ... Btw like my friend said .. we are not going to see any BIG improvment before 1/2 years at least ( When the developers will start to makes programs/games that use the full power of the PCIe ). :?

Btw ... We'll be able to use the same cpu / ram ? Because IF so only my Audigy2 ZS will be screwed up .. and just bought it in 2004 :cry:

EDIT: In fact .. with my current computer ... what's the complete list of incompatible things ? agp video card + any pci cards + ?

RainZ

Back