Alienware M11x refresh is out

Albuquerque

Red-headed step child
Legend
Typically, Alienware equipment is far more expensive than it's worth, and you mostly pay for the flash and the fanboyisms surrounding "zomG I gotz an alienware!!11!11!!One1!leleven"

One outlier (to me) seems to be the M11x, especially in it's refreshed incarnation. An i5 or i7 ULV processor (dual core HT + IGP allendale platform) combined with an NVIDIA 335M (basically, twice the speed of the 330M) in an 11" form factor. The refresh also includes Nvidia's Optimus tech, so you can still get almost seven hours of battery life out of the IGP, but then fire up a game and you're tooling along with the 335M.

The previous M11x model had a relatively weak SU4100 (1.3Ghz ULV C2D) overclocked to 1.7Ghz. The new models have a similar base clock (1.06Ghz in the i5 model) but combined with a firmware overclock and the turbo mode, it makes for quite a bit more oomph.

And you can get them under a grand.

This seems like a great combo of size and performance, now that they've got a decent proecssor option underneath. Are there any other 12"-sized laptops out there with this kind of grunt? I might just pick one up in the near future...

Absolutely! I've been looking out for the mobile ULV versions of i5/i7, cool to see they're finally here. Do these CPUs support hyperthreading by any chance?
Yes, both support hyperthreading. Dual core + HT in these scenarios.

There's quite a few Radeon 5650 notebooks for under 1k which do quite well...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3631/acer-aspire-as5740g-6979-budget-priced-gaming/5
You linked a 15" laptop -- you're comparing it to an 11" laptop. I understand that bigger will give me a bit more bang-for-buck options, but I'm wanting something small, light and that can give me seven hours of battery if I'm not gaming... While the Acer can certainly give me some gusto, it can't do it with my other criteria.

That's not meant to disparage what Acer has done with cost effective mobile gaming on the whole, but that's not the target audience of the M11x :) I also have to assume, as you alluded to, that all the benchmarks run in "ultra low" settings will fare much better now that the M11x isn't ridiculously CPU-bottlenecked.

Yes, both support hyperthreading. Dual core + HT in these scenarios.

You linked a 15" laptop -- you're comparing it to an 11" laptop. I understand that bigger will give me a bit more bang-for-buck options, but I'm wanting something small, light and that can give me seven hours of battery if I'm not gaming... While the Acer can certainly give me some gusto, it can't do it with my other criteria.

That's not meant to disparage what Acer has done with cost effective mobile gaming on the whole, but that's not the target audience of the M11x :) I also have to assume, as you alluded to, that all the benchmarks run in "ultra low" settings will fare much better now that the M11x isn't ridiculously CPU-bottlenecked.

Ah, I hadn't noticed the requirement for that size. Heck on Newegg they only list (1) notebook smaller than 12". So looks like you'd have to dig through each OEM's website to dig up small notebooks with it. I know each of the major OEM's offers Radeon 5xxx, but not sure if any offer it in 11".

And it's a bit redundant anyways, I think 7 hours+ battery life will currently rule out any Radeon powered laptops worth playing games on.

Regards,
SB

This seems like a great combo of size and performance, now that they've got a decent proecssor option underneath. Are there any other 12"-sized laptops out there with this kind of grunt? I might just pick one up in the near future...
The problem is that this notebook is 4.5 lbs. To put that in perspective, MSI made a 15.6" netbook that weighed the same - that's twice the screen area in the same weight! The Acer 4820TG weighs the same as the M11x, has 14" of display, 5650 graphics, and a DVD drive.

There are a few <4lb 13" light notebooks with discrete graphics. One is the Acer 3820TG. Another is the Asus UL30Jt and U35Jc. I'm just waiting for them to become available in NA.

There's also the Vaio Z11, but that thing costs twice as much.

I'm not really convinced, Mint. The Acer does weigh slightly more (approximately 10%), has a larger footprint - and thus screen - but offers no more resolution, costs more, but also gets an optical drive.

I'll agree that the M11x isn't a lightweight when compared to other <12" machines, but I don't see anything in this size category (even up to the 13" models) that packs this much wallop. If you do see something with this much guts in this small form factor, I would still be very interested...

Last edited by a moderator:
Acer's TimelineX 13' has normal Arrandale CPUs and a switchable 5650, and quotes 8-12hrs of battery life. 4.8lbs.

HP's Envy 14' (5.2lbs) has less battery life but slot-loading DVD, and the ability to support an extra battery slice.

So yeah, the Alienware is still not that good of a value. But heck cares, I'm selling them now for an event and they give me good commission prices :LOL:

The Envy 14 is out of my size needs, but the Aspire 3820TG seems a good fit for what I'd like even though it's notably more expensive. However, I can't find ANYWHERE to buy the i7-620m model. Hell, for that matter, I can't find anywhere to buy any of the i3, i5 or i7 models. Acer's website doesn't even list the 3820TG in the north american site.

What gives?

Well, I'll keep an eye out then. No need to buy anything right now anyway; I'd wait for a sale before making a purchase. The 5650 is definitely a more compelling performance product, and the 13" form factor is suitable.

Thank you for the suggestion :)

I checked the Acer booth today, they're selling it at 1500SGD with a 450M.

1-1.1 grand it is, probably <1 when it drops on Newegg. :LOL:

Personally I still want the Envy more because of the really impressive high res screen and better styling without too much of extra costs.

The problem is that this notebook is 4.5 lbs.
Since when is 4.5lbs a "problem"? Talk about luxury problems...sheesh. There was a time my friend when computers weighed TONS, took up entire rooms of space, and drew nearly as much power as a small town... ;) If you're so anemic that 4.5lbs is an issue, then maybe it's time to put you in the earth. :)

To put that in perspective, MSI made a 15.6" netbook that weighed the same - that's twice the screen area in the same weight!
Most likely also less sturdy construction then. I wouldn't want a lappie that was too thin and light; it would simply break too easily. Check out the Nintendo Wii for example... The hardware in it is pitiful even with past years' standards, yet the darned thing weighs as much as a brick!

I'm not really convinced, Mint. The Acer does weigh slightly more (approximately 10%), has a larger footprint - and thus screen - but offers no more resolution, costs more, but also gets an optical drive.
I was just pointing out the 4820 to show you what can be done with ~4.5 lbs. Clearly the 4820TG is in another class when it includes an optical drive.

The real comparison should be with the 3820TG. It's under 4 lbs, has a 5470 or a 5650, and a 13.3" screen. I don't see why footprint should matter, as we're not talking about something that will fit in your pocket. Weight is what counts for portability.

The real comparison should be with the 3820TG. It's under 4 lbs, has a 5470 or a 5650, and a 13.3" screen. I don't see why footprint should matter, as we're not talking about something that will fit in your pocket. Weight is what counts for portability.

As noted, the 3820 isn't available in North America, which kinda hoses me. But not a huge deal, we'll see if it arrives in the next six months or so. As for footprint not being a big deal? Ever try opening a 15" laptop in coach on a plane in North America? You can't get the screen angle right most of the time, or at least without hanging half the laptop off the tray thingie.

I also want it to fit in my existing overnight bag, which would mean 13" is also as big as it gets. As for weight? I put 50lbs on my back weekly while hiking dozens of miles here in the canyons of Laguna Beach; 4.5lbs is pocket change.

As noted, the 3820 isn't available in North America, which kinda hoses me. But not a huge deal, we'll see if it arrives in the next six months or so.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The 3810TG was difficult to find in NA as well. I really hope they bring it over, as that's a lot of punch.

As for footprint not being a big deal? Ever try opening a 15" laptop in coach on a plane in North America? You can't get the screen angle right most of the time, or at least without hanging half the laptop off the tray thingie.
The 4820 is 9.64 inches in depth, the 3820 is 9.25 inches, and the M11x is 9.19 inches. Sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water. I have no problem hanging my laptop off the tray, and place zero value in having 3.6 inches hanging off instead of 4 inches.

The M11x is just plain huge for an 11-inch notebook. People are making equally capable notebooks with 30% more screen area in roughly the same footprint and 15% lower weight. If you don't care about weight then you're in the minority, and one glance at the trends of consumer electronics in the last decade or two will tell you that.

In the end, though, I suppose you're right - I'm drooling over a notebook that I can't buy here. The M11x wins by default...

I think we agree then :) The 3820 is probably the best route to go, especially since Asus allows you to overclock the CPU like Dell does. And the 5xxx series will be far more miserly on power and likely heat, so it's probably an even better deal considering all the features.

Must now convince myself to wait :D

Back