Alex Ross

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
I loved American (superhero, but that goes without saying) comics when I was young, but when I grew up, my appreciation of them plummeted.

Except when I discovered the comics by Alex Ross. They're great. They are what I would want to create if I would have been an American Comic artist. They are in my top-ten of all-time best media expressions. (I don't distinguish between books, comics, movies or such.)

By the way, did anyone else notice, that his depiction of superman is very much alike himself, and that I have this strong feeling that it depicts some of how he would want to do if he would have been superman?

You can't really talk about a graphic artist without some graphics, can you?

alex-ross1.jpg

alex-ross-age-of-tv-heroes.jpg

alex_ross_montage_2.jpg

alex_ross_art.jpg

alex-ross-obama.jpg

The greatest thing about the stories is, that there are no absolutes. Everything is questioned, and shown in many different views. Sure, it's a very American and superhero centric point of view, but that's required by the medium.

It's all the stronger because of that.

And they look absolutely gorgeous!

Look here for a preview, but buy it if you like it, and/or want more of it! (And which comic lover wouldn't?)

(Btw, this is completely legal where I live.)

Rofl, I love how in his stories "nothing is absolute" while we have Bush as a vampire, literally sucking lady liberty dry, whilst Obama is somehow superman already?

I realize these aren't his 'stories,' but the irony here is palpable.

quick edit: The art is breathtaking, absolutely. I feel like he really captures the mindset of yesteryear with his faces.

Alex Ross also did the artwork on Marvels, which if you know anything about the Marvel canon is a must read and beautiful piece of artwork:

alexrossmarvelsALL.jpg

Also I highly rate Bill Sienkiewicz who did Elektra Assassin:

image02.jpg

image37.jpg

image01.jpg

image20.jpg
image33.jpg

How on earth Hollywood could make such an awful movie out of a seminal comic book with visual style like this and a great story to guide them...

Alex Ross also did the artwork on Marvels, which if you know anything about the Marvel canon is a must read and beautiful piece of artwork:

Marvels is genius, but a big part of its greatness was the writing. I'm not a huge fan of Alex Ross, though. His painted style is pretty, but I find most of his stuff lacks dynamism. For Marvels, considering the subject matter (a different, human, viewpoint on the Marvel universe), it was perfect. Kingdom Come, though, I felt was a little flat, and I generally don't like it when he does more 'regular' superhero stories (which is what Kingdom Come is, mostly).

Marvels is genius, but a big part of its greatness was the writing. I'm not a huge fan of Alex Ross, though. His painted style is pretty, but I find most of his stuff lacks dynamism. For Marvels, considering the subject matter (a different, human, viewpoint on the Marvel universe), it was perfect. Kingdom Come, though, I felt was a little flat, and I generally don't like it when he does more 'regular' superhero stories (which is what Kingdom Come is, mostly).
But his comics are among the very few who actually carry a believable story. That is, if you are into superheroes roaming the countryside.

And if you're not, it's a great counter punch.

Rofl, I love how in his stories "nothing is absolute" while we have Bush as a vampire, literally sucking lady liberty dry, whilst Obama is somehow superman already?

I realize these aren't his 'stories,' but the irony here is palpable.

quick edit: The art is breathtaking, absolutely. I feel like he really captures the mindset of yesteryear with his faces.
Most of that is that he wants to express.

And because it takes days to paint a single (gorgeous) page and you have to give him a story he groks, he tends to get hired for the high-profile projects, and they like him having a big say in the story.

For an European counterpart, you might want to look up Don Lawrence, and if you want more, look up Vicente Segrelles. The Merchenary is top of the bill, as far as comics go. If you can find it in the US, that is.

Generally, while most American superhero comics are abundant in Europe, there doesn't seem to be a big market for European comics in the US. Some people say that's because they're too realistic, not violent enough and lack superpowers. I don't know.

I do know, that in Europe, comics are for all ages. ;)

But his comics are among the very few who actually carry a believable story. That is, if you are into superheroes roaming the countryside.

Except they're not. There's nothing particularly believable about Kingdom Come, for instance. It's a fancier 'Elseworlds' story, starring Superman. Also, he's an artist, not a writer. Like I said, Marvels was far better than Kingdom Come, mostly because of the writing.

But even in general, I'm not super fond of his style. I don't like how he bases all his characters on real people, I don't think that his stuff is great comic book art.

Generally, while most American superhero comics are abundant in Europe, there doesn't seem to be a big market for European comics in the US. Some people say that's because they're too realistic, not violent enough and lack superpowers. I don't know.
Well, "Watchmen" did wind up on Times' top-100 list of the all-time greatest works of fiction after all, as the only graphic novel on that list no less. And it was written and drawn by two british blokes... Or maybe one of them's welsh, I dunno! :)

"Marvels" btw is fabulous, but AFAIK, Ross only drew it while someone else scripted it (that guy whatsisface who writes Astro City I believe.)

I used to be a lot more into comics in the past. These days I pretty much only read Kapten Stofil and Battle Angel Alita: Last Order. Not sure what else to buy; I grabbed the first couple volumes of The Ultimates, and thought it was a pretty genial re-think of the Avengers; well-scripted and well-drawn too. The fourth book was a letdown though, with a deus ex machina solution to all the tension that had been built up in the first three volumes (which felt like a cheap technobabble solution from a bad star trek episode), and then a long boring alien-vs-humans battle. I'm not sure if The Ultimates is still ongoing or not, I haven't checked.

"Marvels" btw is fabulous, but AFAIK, Ross only drew it while someone else scripted it (that guy whatsisface who writes Astro City I believe.)

Kurt Buziek!

I f'n love Astro City (which Ross does covers for too), and I read in the previous issue that, at long last, after several years of ill health (for KB), AC is going back to a monthly schedule! Woo!

Anyone who likes Marvels & that kind of superhero-featuring-but-not-superhero-focused story telling needs to get AC, it's teh awesome.

edit
Grall, if you're into superhero comics give Invincible a try. I tend to stay away from monthly superhero comics (hell, I try to stay away from Marvel/DC in general, the way they exploit their characters & readership (and in the past creators) bugs the shit out of me), but Invincible is the one exception, and it's prolly a strong contender for my favourite ongoing series. If you'd like to pm me I'll gladly geek out about comics until you're bored to tears :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt Buziek!

I f'n love Astro City (which Ross does covers for too), and I read in the previous issue that, at long last, after several years of ill health (for KB), AC is going back to a monthly schedule! Woo!

Oh, man. That's the best news I've heard all day!

who did the old Conan comics? I know there were several authors and I really loved most of them. Also in my top 5, Spawn - McFarlane nailed it.

Except they're not. There's nothing particularly believable about Kingdom Come, for instance. It's a fancier 'Elseworlds' story, starring Superman. Also, he's an artist, not a writer. Like I said, Marvels was far better than Kingdom Come, mostly because of the writing.

But even in general, I'm not super fond of his style. I don't like how he bases all his characters on real people, I don't think that his stuff is great comic book art.
If you want comic art, look up Lanfeust of Troy (try the link I posted earlier). It's not realistic, but will blow your socks off if you only know superhero comics and think The Mercenary is for art lovers.

Or try Ythaq, as I know that is available in the US. Not as good by far, but a decent introduction to EU comics.

Back