Air Car

MiniCats.jpg

I WANT ONE!!! :D

Yes the inventor is from my area and they build a pilot factory. But it seems they are more successful outside France for now.

P.S A new bubble digi ? :D

It just looks like a little cute toy car to me that would be a blast to tool around in and freak people out with...not to mention the kids would love it.

What is the average estimate price?
Between 8.000 and 10.000 $ for the basic vehicle: taxi, van, pick-up truck or "family car".

10.000 $ = $17,448 US? Sounds quite high for such a little econo car. Any thoughts?

Ew, they'd sell 'em like hotcakes if they could sell 'em for under $10,000us here...over that I think they'll have problems. :?

I'm not sure if its already converted to USD or not. I think if it were EURO, it would use the EURO sign.

RussSchultz said:
I'm not sure if its already converted to USD or not. I think if it were EURO, it would use the EURO sign.
If it's $10k US I'd say they hit the magic pricepoint on the first try. :)

I was just thinking on how $17k seemed like an awful damned lot for a car, then I remembered I spent over $30k on me last two autos. :oops: (Nothing fancy, just cars ain't cheap!)

digitalwanderer said:
RussSchultz said:
If it's $10k US I'd say they hit the magic pricepoint on the first try. :)

I was just thinking on how $17k seemed like an awful damned lot for a car, then I remembered I spent over $30k on me last two autos. :oops: (Nothing fancy, just cars ain't cheap!)

funny, i was just thinking on how $30k for a car seems cheap.... but then I've been looking at the "fancy" cars.

the thing is... look at how much that thing will save you on gas. BUT what's it's acceleration :?

I believe that car would be incredibly dangerous to drive on public roads.

Looking at the pic digi posted, you can see it has some very large door/roof posts located near the center of the driver's field of vision. Since the seat is relatively far back in relation to the windshield compared to a normal car, this means the posts end up more towards the middle of the driver's vision, creating large dead zones.

Very, very bad. Besides, the aerodynamics look like they're crap with the sharp angles between front and sides, means more fuel consumption and lots of noise from the turbulence at highway speed. Also, with such small wheels it'll be a bumpy ride too I wager.

Guden Oden said:
I believe that car would be incredibly dangerous to drive on public roads.

Looking at the pic digi posted, you can see it has some very large door/roof posts located near the center of the driver's field of vision. Since the seat is relatively far back in relation to the windshield compared to a normal car, this means the posts end up more towards the middle of the driver's vision, creating large dead zones.

Very, very bad. Besides, the aerodynamics look like they're crap with the sharp angles between front and sides, means more fuel consumption and lots of noise from the turbulence at highway speed. Also, with such small wheels it'll be a bumpy ride too I wager.
All of those criticisms are easily rectified. What intrigues me is that while running off fossil fuels it actually using compressors to keep the air tanks full, which doesn't sound very efficent to me. That gives 3 (or even 4) energy conversion process where efficency loss will occur, as opposed to the 1 process for standard engine.

I didn't see any mention of power output varying with the tank's pressure either (funnily enough). I wonder how they get around that.

Still, it's another option for environmentally friendly commuting, so I'd like to see it succeed, even if it seems a little ill-conceived.

Most americans like big cars or tough cars. Fuel economy, pollution is very insignificant compared to that. This looks like a wimp car. No go imho. Not here.

Americans like "big" cars, and "tough" cars, because that's what's marketed to them. There are no companies that have really put forth a concerted marketing campaign to bring the idea of small, efficient cars to the American marketplace. If they did, and they could get cars that looked somewhat unique and interesting, I think they'd have a huge market of potential customers.

I think the SMART car, or this air car could sell in NYC, or Chicago, or any highly dense, urban setting where freeway driving isn't the norm and there aren't semi's to contend with.

In rural lands, or places where a 30 minute commute at highway speeds is required to traverse from home to work, these cars will not sell.

RussSchultz said:
I think the SMART car, or this air car could sell in NYC, or Chicago, or any highly dense, urban setting where freeway driving isn't the norm and there aren't semi's to contend with.

In rural lands, or places where a 30 minute commute at highway speeds is required to traverse from home to work, these cars will not sell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the vast majority of car accidents NON-semi related? (not to say that people would adjust their fears accordingly).

Clashman said:
Americans like "big" cars, and "tough" cars, because that's what's marketed to them. There are no companies that have really put forth a concerted marketing campaign to bring the idea of small, efficient cars to the American marketplace. If they did, and they could get cars that looked somewhat unique and interesting, I think they'd have a huge market of potential customers.
Partly, but you also have to remember that the infrastructure in the US is setup for large cars. In Europe the infrastructure was in place before cars arrived on the scene, so the cars had to work within the restrictions of the infrastructure. I think nearly everyone likes big, tough cars on some level, but it's harder to justify them outside of the US. Certainly any marketing campaign would have to focus on places where owning a large car is somewhat onerous, like NY.

The549 said:
Most americans like big cars or tough cars. Fuel economy, pollution is very insignificant compared to that. This looks like a wimp car. No go imho. Not here.

Is THIS CAR big enough for you? :D

I guess one could fit that silly air car in the trunk of this one. :p

Sage said:
funny, i was just thinking on how $30k for a car seems cheap.... but then I've been looking at the "fancy" cars.
From knowing your financial situation based on how you've described it on this forum, buying that car, or any car that ties you into a $6-800 payment, is a huge mistake.

RussSchultz said:
Sage said:
From knowing your financial situation based on how you've described it on this forum, buying that car, or any car that ties you into a $6-800 payment, is a huge mistake.

actually, I was looking at like a 1600-2000 a month payment. financial situations change... when was your last update on mine?

edit: ironic that i should mention how financial situations may change. i reeeeeally hope i dont loose my job today.

Back