Ahh the joys of internet in australia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bloodbob, Sep 23, 2006.

1. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

2. JBark

Newcomer

I can definitely say that internet access is not something I'm looking forward to when I move to Perth next year. Especially download limits. Ugh, you'd think we'd be past that by now.

I really love BigPond's "Unlimited" access. I guess in AU, Unlimited means speeds are dropped to 64kbps after 10GB in a month. :)

3. The_Wolf_Who_Cried_Boy

Newcomer

Floating face down in the stagnant pond of life.
    If your worried about ISP's in Perth I'd strongly recommend Westnet, unfortunately they do have download limts but service (and especially customer service if you do have a problem) is excellent. I've had only a few minor issues in 18 months on ADSL and a year on dialup prior to that.

(I had the sense to escape from Perth and return to the civilised world though).

4. Martin Eddy

Regular

I've had no major problems with optus cable but i'm looking seriously at TPG's ADSL2+ service 24mbps d/l 30 gig/month for $59.95 (That's considered cheap in Australia)

5. Sc4freak

Newcomer

Holy hell, that is cheap.

I'm still paying $80 a month for my 1.5mbit 40gb/month ADSL. :shock:

6. Jabjabs

Regular

Damn I just checked my account and it turns out they have just doubled the speed for the same cost, I have to look into upgrading this thing as soon as possible.

7. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Why aren't the Americans posting in this thread?
    Optus give you 12GB/month and another 24GB from 12am-12pm everyday. I think it's $60-$70 a month.

I love Optus's plan because I spend most of my time on the Internet between 12am-12pm.

8. ANova

Veteran

I pay $45 a month for 7 mbps cable, unlimited. Used to be $40 for 6 mbps but they upped both.

I feel sorry for you limited guys. :lol:

9. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

So what happens when you reach your limit?

10. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Limits? Do they still exist? :shocked:

;)

11. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

Here in australia now most providers cap you at around depends on the provider 64kbit or so. Internet has come a long way in australia 10 years ago broadband was 3 gigs with a 15 cent excess for $99.

The major problem now is the speed since no one has been really deploy cable for over 5 years everyone now deploys adsl for the net ( which in general is slower and costs more) and sat which has less channels then cable. Fortunatly ADSL2 is kicking off in australia unfortunatly it is of course cost probihitive to deploy it in most rural areas as there is a backhaul monopoly by our largest telco ( Telstra and the government is about to loose its majority shareholdership ). In the cities its not that much better as to cut costs telstra has been for years deploy RIM/CMUX which are mini-exchanges for like 100-300 people unfortunatly most of their equipment doesn't support ADSL2 or atleast not with a decent backhaul ( some of those only have like 4mbit backhual for adsl) and their isn't enough housing for competitors to put their equipment in.

In 5 years time or so most city users should be on faster then 1.5mbit and internet in australia won't be such a joke.

#11 bloodbob, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  12. SugarCoat

Veteran

Move to Korea. You'll be oppressed but you'll have nearly unlimited network capabilities ;)

13. JacksBleedingEyes

Regular

Telstra usually forgets to cap me. So last month I decided to abuse the system and see how I could download before they did.

Fortunatelly for me they didnt, and I queued up downloads so I was consistently downloading at 800KBs max, peaking at 1.2 MBytes per second. In month I managed 983 Gigs. It was ridiculous. I just about have every single file off Aus gamers and torrents galore. Storge bacame a major issue.

This month I think they caught on, been capped since the 15th of September.