Age Of Conan

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by SugarCoat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

yes there is a crowd that does the 'lolzwowisgay' but for the most part the market just ignores them.

As an anecdotal, a couple weeks back I was in a comic/games store talking with the owner (a friend of mine who plays WoW with his 14 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter) about WoW and as the conversation went on everyone (about a dozen people) in the store gathered around and was sharing their own experiences. Including 2 mothers with youngish (10 or so) children who all played. There's no way AoC is going to attract that broad a base.

#41 AlphaWolf, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  2. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

funny, i read the conan novels as a kid. there's like 20 of them! 'family' has sure taken a frightening turn (kind of a totalitarian enforcement of obedience to the benign and trivial and insipid (fraud)) of late.

3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

AoC is an M rated game, it's really as simple as that.

4. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

Time to spill the beans. :)

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

the game is pretty good. I have a lvl 12 demonologist . It runs well on my system and reminds me alot of ultima online

6. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

I played around with it for half-an-hour or so. I can see why it's M-rated there's quite a lot of ... err, under-current. Not sure I really understood what I was doing but superficially it seemed OK, it certain ran better than eg. Vanguard did at release, and looked better too. Combat system seems interesting. I'll probably give it a go when it launches, but I can't really see it taking over my life!

7. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Yeah it has climbed back up quite a bit, thats irrelevant thought, as they still got tons and tons of capital to make the game by issuing tons of stock when they first got listed.

The stock price itself is irrelevant for everybody except Funcoms shareholders and thus management (since shareholders own management).

8. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

i want a WoWer to compare the ride. i have high hopes for this title (fan) but what i've seen on TV previews doesn't look as polished, and thoroughly detailed as WoW. it's those little things that make all the diff...the bug/bird sounds, ambient music...anyway we'll see i guess.

9. Gelanin

Newcomer

From what i've heard and read, the sounds in the game are the best in any mmo so far.

How the rest of it is, i can't really tell since i have only tried it for a few hours back in january.

10. Gelanin

Newcomer

Only slightly more than a week until launch now :)

Definately looking forward to it, and according to a friend of mine whos in the Beta, yesterdays patch was really good, with much improved performance.

11. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Listening to the buzz out there in the WoW crowd, I'm getting a sense that this game, rather than Warhammer, has the potential to be the next step up for a lot of veterans.

One factor in this might be that a lot of people don't seem to be terribly excited about the upcoming Wrath of the Lich King. Burning Crusade demonstrated how such an expansion can mean almost having to start from scratch again with whole new grinds. Also, all the easy pvp and other casual welfare epics out there have ruined some of the magic of the game. So I'm guessing that a lot of people will be considering just switching to another game altogether. AOC looks like a great contender.

12. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

I've decided to pre-order based on feedback from a few friends in the beta. The game is beautiful, has great art direction, and the classes feel unique. There are still some niggles, disconnects and crashes, but these are becoming more 'n more rare and performance has really gone up with recent updates. One friend bought a 8800 GTS and said the game is very playable on his XP machine.

13. Zassk

Regular

I have a different take. AoC uses a direct copy of the Everquest 2 quest engine, and a close mimic of the Everquest 2 interaction and consider systems, with some of LOTR's and Tabula Rasa's UI conventions pasted on top (LOTR itself having borrowed heavily from WoW).

Overall the graphics and sound are on par with TR and worse than EQ2 or LOTR most of the time, at least on my 7950GT (DX9 graphics, perhaps it is better on DX10), but AoC uses 3x as much memory and 3x as long loading times as any of those games. AoC is the only one of these 5 games I mentioned that runs poorly on my 2 GB Athlon X2 4600, and the performance problems are independent of graphics detail settings. To me this bodes ill for its adoption rate - the hardware barrier is as bad as Vanguard's was last year.

AoC's combat system is its most unique element, while every other aspect of the game is just a close study of these other games that I mentioned. Unfortunately, I don't find the combat system any less bland than LOTR's, and certainly less innovative than Vanguard's (for all the latter's faults). I feel that any developer could patch in AoC's innovations into their existing MMORPG over the course of a couple of patches, and we players would end up with a better game than AoC at the end of it.

As someone who expected a different and evolutionary experience, I find myself fairly disappointed with AoC. The content might justify playing it (haven't seen the end game myself), but the systems themselves that make up the game are underwhelming.

14. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

@florin
    tell me about this. i got both in a package only installed WoW, if i install BC, i have to start over? i notice a ship dock in WoW that won't let me go unless i have BC installed.

15. SugarCoat

Veteran

not literally start over, he just means the pereption in an MMO when you install a major addon how all the previous content is basically trivialized and all that matters is grinding the next line of levels to get the next tier of armor/weapons etc..

Thats actually what shot me down in EQ, as much fun as i got out of the game. I never did hit the level cap before the next addon was rolled out. Although EQ had a significantly more strict leveling system than anything today so you really cant compare.

16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

After playing Vanguard since last April and AoC beta for the last 6 months, I'd have to agree with this entirely. Personally I was rather dissapointed with how AoC turned out. I'd still recommend people try it out though when it's released, if they're looking for something to replace WoW and they have a high end system. Very pretty game.

Might revisit it after 6-12 months of maturing.

17. epicstruggle

Veteran

Could they have degraded the graphics because of size?

18. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

The latest patch to Conan reportedly added a lot of new graphics options, so at this point people are saying it's quite scalable. If you have a 8800-class board it runs fairly well now and looks fantastic. Load times have also been improved.

19. epicstruggle

Veteran

Good to know. Ive been saving for a new card and I want to play this game with all the eye candy on.

20. 1BFC

Newcomer

Yeah I average 40-100FPS @ 1920x1200 resolution and stock clocks on a 8800GTX with a 3.5ghz C2D and 2GB DDR2.

All in game settings maxed out on high with the exception of bloom/shadow all settings turned off. self shadows are on.

Bloom for some reason reduces frame rate by 75%.

Game is good and runs perfectly fine on my system.

edit: NO AA, 16x AF and quality set in Nvidia control panel.