Age Of Conan

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by SugarCoat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Daozang

Regular

I think aaron is talking about the end content other mmos had AT release, and although I'm new to this I've heard that most games had almost nothing at release...

2. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Very true but rather pointless I think. While potential of a game factors into picking it up I want a good experience from the get go. It's hard to move to a different MMO and wait for that content to arrive as there are little guarantees it will arrive and that it will be good. So while it might be unfair to compare a not far after release AoC to a 4 years in WoW in such a sense, it is what I'd compare because I'm looking for fun at this point in time. I think that's AoC's biggest problem, it's not facing a launch WoW but rather a very mature WoW.

3. Daozang

Regular

In that way, there will never be a game better than wow... It's impossible to launch an mmo and compete with another that is out for years... It means that you have to get everything right from the start, and to date, I'm almost certain that no game of this kind managed to do that...

4. Tokelil

Regular

This is what I have been saying all along. The MMO market as changed dramatically since WoW was released and content wise every MMO released will fall short IMO. (The same will be the case for Warhammer online, which has had major cutbacks in content.) AoC looked promising because of an innovative combat system and promised mass PvP, but the combat system isn't really that exciting and the PvP siege content has been missing entirely. So you are left with a game that looks great, runs quite bad and has little content compared to WoW.

Also IMO Funcom made a mistake with the instancing system. (Ofc. they know how much their hardware can take, but WoW pulled it out 4 years ago.) A lot of places are deserted most of the time and even the 3 big cities has no MMO fell at all on my server. (Which is medium populated.) I miss the crowded Orcrimar from my WoW days at night.

5. Tokelil

Regular

WoW managed to do it though, even though Everquest etc. had been out and worked well.

6. Daozang

Regular

Everything Blizzard, IMO is an other story... The only game they did and I really loved was Diablo. All their games are based on great marketing and no risks... I guess that WOW took some risk, but the Blizzard hype (to some people those guys can't do wrong) was enough to sell it...

7. Tokelil

Regular

That might be true to some extent, but the hype doesn't keep people playing, which is a must for a MMO. AoC is a good example of that!

8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

That would make more sense if WoW were just selling to the blizzard fan base. WoW is far from a perfect game, but they've done a lot right in terms of execution, flavor/variety and content. Some other MMO's do somethings better, but WoW does most things very well and ultimately its the community that keeps the games running.

9. aaronspink

Veteran

if you want a good experience from the start then I highly suggest you never ever ever buy another mmo. At least not in the first 2 years of its life and probably not ever...

If you want WOW then why the hell would you buy another MMO? Seriously, people need to stop with the comparisons to that POS. If you like WOW then why aren't you playing it. Enough said.

If you are through with wow and don't want to play it anymore then why the would you care about it?

10. aaronspink

Veteran

And how many MMOs have you played at the start?

UO? crap
    WoW? crap, actually one of the worst launches in history.
    Vanguard? crap
    AC? crap
    SB? crap
    SWG? somewhat decent
    EQ? crap

Almost every MMO is crap to start out with. They are all pushed out the door too early with things broken all over the place from a technical, content, and gameplay standpoint. If you can't roll with it you should wait a year before playing.

11. aaronspink

Veteran

WoW at launch was an epic disaster, server stability was a joke, exploits were rampant, content was severly lacking. Their Raid content was pretty much non-existent for 6+ months. We won't get into totally broken gameplay mechanics, etc.

You are viewing WoW through rose colored glasses of what it was when it got fixed which took them 8-9 months to really get done.

12. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

But that doesn't matter. AoC isn't compared to launch WoW and really it shouldn't, that's to bad for Funcom but it's reality. It's compared to current WoW which is amazingly solid and good and AoC isn't so in comparison.

13. ban25

Veteran

AoC's a pretty good game, as far as MMOs go. I played it for around 6 weeks and I may go back to it later. Generally, my interests tend to wander too frequently to stick with a single game for very long.

14. AlphaWolf

Legend

Wow had problems at launch, its just that they had 1/10th the problems of every other MMO that's been released before and since. You want broken launches look at ao or ao2 or daoc. WoW's launch was a bright shining star in comparison.

15. aaronspink

Veteran

And the retort is, if you like WoW so much, why did you leave?

AoC is actually fairly solid, just a couple areas to work on and it will be one of the if not the best launches in mmo history. It really is quite solid.

16. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Because I played it far to much and it was taking up parts of my life I didn't want it to. I had a serious addiction problem with it, so I quit it cold turkey by purposely losing my account and making it impossible to get back. I don't regret it.

17. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

WoW benefited from the fact that they cut-n-pasted a lot of the material and gameplay from WC3, so they avoided some of the conceptual problems that a lot of MMO's have had to deal with (though usually they discover them in beta, and just don't fix them before launch).

On the technical side of things, however, WoW was just as screwed up as every other MMO launch I've seen.

http://www.leagueofpirates.com/sirvival/queuedance.html

18. Daozang

Regular

Wow, is a very good game, just not my thing. I tried to play it, became boring as hell. And as you've said, Blizzard did many things right. I just don't like their formula. All their games are based on it.
    My point was that Wow had an average to mediocre launch, but being a game from Blizzard was enough for some people to keep playing until it became really good in terms of content, balance and features.
    We can't expect a new game to be as good as wow from launch. We can invest on potential though. I don't expect Blizzard to make an mmo that I will like, I'm not into their family game mentality, were everyone should like their games and their grandmas too.
    And although I know I'm not alone in this, most people are waitting for the game that will top wow from day one... That is not going to happen anytime soon...

#258 Daozang, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2008
  19. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

World of Warcraft is based on the Warcraft story line, certainly, but it contains tons of story changes and the entire game story line is after those events so everything is new story line. Also I have no idea where the gameplay from WC3 is in WoW. One is an RTS with mild RPG elements and the other is an MMORPG. The RPG elements from WC3 make nearly zero appearance in WoW, hardly any of the abilities besides a few names are directly related. It doesn't take up any imagination for someone to say "Lets give class A magic missile Z."

20. AlphaWolf

Legend

Took gameplay from WC3? Have you played either of these games? They took some flavor from WC (obviously... it is World of Warcraft) but there's no gameplay similarity at all.

You've apparently not seen any other MMO launches then.

Daoc it took them a week (yes 7 days) to get a friend of mine 'unstuck', the game crashed every 30 minutes to an hour due to memory leaks, assuming you didn't get graphics corruption every 10 minutes even then the server was down every hour for 10 minutes. All this and there was 1 realm of 3 even remotely finished and even that not much past level 30. And daoc was a better launch than a dozen other MMO's.

Not having a queue and just having the server fail like most other MMO's did would be a better solution?

There's no doubt that WoW had some issues at launch but trying to single it out as bad in comparison to other mmo launches is laughable at best.