Age Of Conan

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by SugarCoat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

Back to LOTR?

2. Daozang

Regular

Thanx mate, I'll try that! I didn't know that WOW forums are like that also...
    I always thought that the forums there would be the MMO paradise with the game being a huge success and all.

3. SugarCoat

Veteran

:lol:

you poor virgin soul. Official game forums are the epicentre for gloom and doom, complaints, trolls, and threats. Doesnt matter what the game is, thats the norm.

4. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

I tried a little LOTRO this weekend but after playing it for over a year I can't stomach the thought of levelling another toon or going out to the Ettenmoors again. So a friend and I are going to try Vanguard. Sony has had 1.5 years to patch it and Amazon has the game for like $14 and we've both got 10-day trial keys. Worst part will be patching it up.

5. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

I've been Vanguarding on and off for a while, and have ton of random characters on Xeth, if you want to start up somewhere which has at least ONE person you know. ;)

My other friends are poking about EQ2 and Vanguard again since Sony reactivated a ton of accounts until the end of July. Seemingly the fire of AoC has died out, and we're mainly waiting on Warhammer Online, and will muck about in other things until then.

Just get the Station Launcher, btw. The beta's gotten better, and it painlessly handles all the patchworks. You can seed every game from it, too, so you never need any disks. The cross-game chat is still iffy, though...

6. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Sony wants $40 for the game, checked out the d/l last night and thought I'm not paying that much for the game.

7. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Through the launcher, yes. You can always get the box for $20 and under from stores and Amazon, though. Not to mention I thought it was active regardless for most people until July 31st. (Maybe only for people who used to subscribe but haven't in a while.)

I was mainly saying to use the Launcher to manage the games. You can always get a box copy for dirt cheap and attach the Key to your Station account, so you don't purchase the title through it. (Never worth it, really. They should just have some cheap "catch me up" offerings perpetually for all their titles. For some reason, they never learn.)

8. Daozang

Regular

:smile:
    In my experience, it wasn't always like that... I remember game forums were everyone used to speculate about the game tossing many great ideas on the forum table... I'm all in for constractive criticism, but some of those posts are out of this world, not only in terms of content but mostly because of attitude and plain rudeness...
    Could it be the fact that you pay to play the reason behind all the troll posts? That some people expect the game to be what they want it to be because they pay 15 euro a month and cannot accept that it might simply not be a game for them and they should just move along?

9. epicstruggle

Veteran

Is there anyway to get the rhino/war elephant now? Im seriously thinking of getting the game*, just wondering if getting those pre-order items is still somehow possible.

*with approval from the head office.

10. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Lots on sale on eBay. If you want a copy of the game and get approval, my account has the mammoth, rhino, totem of origins (PC Gamer subscriber item that ports you to your racial home village 1/24 hours), war bow of the amazons, and the collector's edtion items (drinking cape, ring of acheron for 2% xp boost up to 40th) and a 36 demonologist and 52 barbarian attached to it. I'll gladly sell it to you if you can handle typing in johnrreynolds for the account without feeling all dirty about it. :D

11. MrGaribaldi

Regular

Will that work with the credit card?
    I mean, they're using the credit card as a check to see if people are old enough to play, and if there is a mismatch between name of card holder and account holder, wouldn't (,or better yet shouldn't) that set up some red flags?

12. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

They dont care about that, they use the credit card because its the simplest way to get paid. It has nothing to do with age checks. Atleast no other MMO has canceled accounts where credit card name doesn't match with account.

Developer has no responsibility with making sure people who play are above 18 years old, thats up the the people who sell the item.

13. epicstruggle

Veteran

Are the items/mounts tied to one character? Or are they for any character you make?
    Ha. As long as you dont laugh at me for buying this lemon off you! :razz:

14. 1BFC

Newcomer

All items can be /claim on any character you create with that account on any server any number of times you wish.

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I played Vanguard from April last year till about a month ago. Definitely improved a LOT since release, stability, performance and content improved immensely. However in the end the game wasn't for me and I really didn't enjoy AoC at all so I've gone back to Anarchy Online where I've spent almost all of the MMO years at since 2001.

If your interested in a older gaming guild, the guild I am a member of in Vanguard is 35+. Venerable Warriors on the Xeth server. Great bunch of folks. I run the website for them and can hook you up if you like.

16. 1BFC

Newcomer

I think what's going to kill AoC is the fact that, PvP balance wise, the game is so extremely slanted towards casters. Every patch is another round of big nerfs to most classes.

IF they leave the game alone long enough to see how things work out then the game may succeed. However, they change things around so much every week that it's impossible to know what "balance" is.

Players adapt over time. People figure out tactics and methods to achieve their in game goals. If the game is constantly changing the rules then no one can ever obtain their goals and they stop paying their monthly fees.

Seriously though, this is a MMO wide problem to be honest. It's just REALLY bad in AoC currently. It's not NGE bad yet, but I wouldn't doubt that's possible.

If game developers would just leave their games alone and focus on bug fixes (like client crashes, quest script errors, itemization, etc..) they would retain much larger portions of their player base. People don't "return" after you "fix" something. They either stay or they don't. Any "return" customers are extremely short term players after the return. You get one shot and one shot only to impress and retain a large player base.

ALL current MMO's are failing in this area. WoW was the last one that achieved it. Please note, I don't play WoW and played it for 1 week at release.

My thoughts on the matter anyway :)

17. PARANOiA

Veteran

What? Casters in this game are easy bait for the most part - especially with most classes having decent CC plus stealth. The only way a caster can win in AOC is by hitting first from a distance, effectively when you catch someone off-guard. That's hardly what I'd consider "overpowered".

18. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

I don't know a single person who bought AoC and is paying for a monthly subscription. It just seemed to fall flat on it's face with to many issues at launch. Forgive me because I've never played a MMO outside of WoW but from what I've heard I couldn't handle any others. WoW might not be the best in terms of every various aspect but it gets nearly all of them right to a degree and it has a ton of content. The MMO crowd seems to be either A.) WoW players B.) Players who jump around hoping to find the next best thing but refuse to play WoW.

19. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

20. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Damn... when you dump a game, you really dump a game! I haven't been able to toss away any MMO account completely yet. I never know when I'll want to come back. ^_^