Aftermarket cooler for Coffee Lake?

Are you asking about this particular cooleror open to suggestions? Any special oddities, like memory dimm location or height?

If I go aftermarket, I usually look for Noctua brand.

mm... probably gonna be a tight fit in a mid-tower, but there shouldn't be anything too funny (Gigabyte Aorus G5). The RAM I have does not have crazy, high cooling fins either.

edit:

Oh wait, too tall. Needs to be <150mm tall.

Are you asking about this particular cooler or open to suggestions? Any special oddities, like memory dimm location or height?

If I go aftermarket, I usually look for Noctua brand.
https://www.amazon.ca/Noctua-C-Type-Premium-Cooling-NH-C14S/dp/B00XUV3JTK

hm... oof. Bit of a price jump, but I guess that's the form factor tax. ahem
So I need to install a backplate for this? hm.

-CC-9011075-WW-Gallery-100R-014.jpg

Guess I'll have to take her rear cover off tonight to see where the socket is in relation to her back door.

edit2:

Oh. I guess I could roll with this ?
https://www.amazon.ca/CORSAIR-Radiator-Advanced-Lighting-Software/dp/B07BWNWQKJ

Stuff it into the roof of the case.

The manual lists the backplate being compatible with 1155/1156/1366 - that's the same for 1151?

Last edited:
mm... probably gonna be a tight fit in a mid-tower, but there shouldn't be anything too funny (Gigabyte Aorus G5). The RAM I have does not have crazy, high cooling fins either.

edit:

Oh wait, too tall. Needs to be <150mm tall.

https://www.amazon.ca/Noctua-C-Type-Premium-Cooling-NH-C14S/dp/B00XUV3JTK

hm... oof. Bit of a price jump, but I guess that's the form factor tax. ahem

Been using that cooler with 2 fans in my old Fx8350 build for like 7 years.. Now my parents got it
Fans being Noctua fans, they still sound like it's their first day running​

Since we are on the subject and its not worth starting a new thread
would a cooler for lga775 fit a lga1155 board ?

Just drill your own holes! Don't mind those components in the way, they're not needed.

Okay, so I settled on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 11LP. :p It was only *slightly* awkward because one of the mounting brackets was pushing up against the motherboard's bits on the one half, but it worked out okay in the end. The Aorus Z370 G5 board has some insanely large shrouds/heatsinks at the top. Incidentally, it was preventing me from installing a liquid cooler into the roof of the mid-tower case.

The push pins to lock the brackets to the front of the board were maybe a little annoying because of how small they were and then trying to line it up with the holes. The easy part was the last step, lining up the longer screws through the fan and into the bracket. >_>

20190426_000751920_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using a Hyper 212 since my 2500K. It's on an overclocked 8600K now. Not a bad $30 investment!

Though I really prefer the coolers that blow onto the motherboard. Cools the VRMs. I have a Coolermaster Geminii S from the 3570K days that's on a 7600K now.

Last edited:
Back