AF quality of an upcoming card - what do you think?

parhelia

Newcomer
What do you guys think of the image quality of the following screenshots?
It's from a new hardware

AF 1x :
AF1x.jpg

AF2x :
AF2x.jpg

AF4x
AF4x.jpg

Please post your impressions below!

I shall ONLY answer once some people tell me what they think of the image quality.
All I will say for now is that it's not a Duo.

Sadly, I still don't know what those black and white blocks represent. Anywho, I can see the red and green lines move barely one block, the lavender line moves one block, and the yellow line moves about two blocks.

Fancy.

There also seems to be some angle dependency around the vertical and horizontal, but maybe that's acceptable AF behavior.

It's a NV40, or at least what the NV40 will look like. :)

Reasoning: If these shots were taken on another card say a Volari, then it will give a brand new level of low that Nvidia can shoot for and match. When they produce that image Nvidia can go, "but it's not like we are worse than our competition". :)

Ok, seriously now, I'm going to say there is no anisotropic filterting occuring. The 1x shot is sort of really fuzzy. I'm almost going to say that it's got a rather high LOD bias value being applied by the drivers. The Anisotropic filtering modes are then pushing the value back towards the normal value used by trilinear.

parhelia said:
I shall ONLY answer once some people tell me what they think of the image quality.
All I will say for now is that it's not a Duo.
DeltaChrome's AF quality seems to be really subpar, judging by your screenshots.

There is something going on with the mipmap levels, but it's very little. It might have helped if you selected the "full color" mipmap colorization instead of "tinted".

Anyroad, even without AF the red mipmap starts way too early. Looks like a general LOD bias of +0.5 or more, which is, quite frankly, crap.

I take my NV40 comments back. Those shot have actual real trilinear going on. With NV40 I imagine that Nvidia is going introduce a all new 'high' quality filtering method called Mipmap Dithering.

it is correct, it is a single chip V8.

Obviously there is no AF done, but heh, they managed to get real trilinear working in every app and game, that's a huge step forward

I havent been paying attention for ages ... how are the actual tris used in this image configured? (Im trying to understand why the transitions along horizontal/vertical axis are so abominable.)

MfA said:
I havent been paying attention for ages ... how are the actual tris used in this image configured? (Im trying to understand why the transitions along horizontal/vertical axis are so abominable.)
The app renders a circular tunnel (with a selectable number of faces; default is 200 = maximum you can select). The black/white transitions are actually part of the texture (ie there is only one quad for every angle). They should be razor sharp, unless either you or the driver itself fiddles with the LOD bias.

That seems to be the case with this set of images ;)

(another possible cause would be outright broken mipmap selection hardware, but no, I wouldn't go there ...)

ET said:
The Baron said:
DaveBaumann said:
parhelia said:
Obviously there is no AF done, but heh, they managed to get real trilinear working in every app and game, that's a huge step forward

????
I think he means "it's a huge step forward for the Volari."
Or NVIDIA and UT2003?
You can get trilinear with any NVIDIA card in UT2003, you just have to use... mmmm... 43.45. :p (just add the line for your card to the INF file, although apparently a lot of shader-related stuff won't work. Stealth did it with a 5900 Ultra for the purposes of this thread.

Dang it Parhelia, how did you manage to get that? More important, how do you like it? (General impressions, I figure you can't say anything specific but mebbe some ancedotal stuff? )

Should I start checking my e-mail again?

Back