Advice please

srtn8

Newcomer
Ok guys I need your advice as to whether or not I should upgrade. I use my pc for a lot of stuff....from gaming to home entertainment and everything in between. I currently have a

hp media center m270n
2.8c hyper threading
160 gig hd
bfg geforce 6800 gt oc
1 gig of ram
15" LCD Hp f1503 monitor

I looking at maybe building an AMD system but I wonder if i should just hold off until the upgrade would make more sense to me. I play EQ2, Doom3, FEAR, HL2, FarCry...etc...I would like to get into an sli and dual core setup but would it really be worth it right now for me? I would try and OC the current processor however w/ the poopy P4SD-LA (HP OEM) motherboard my options are limited at best.

Four hours isn't that long to wait :)

But seirously, if I were you, I'd save up and make my next upgrade a pci express setup. If you can afford that entire move right now (and it'd be expensive if you also want an appreciable performance improvement across the board), then go for it.

Otherwise, that system could possibly last until next year when DDR2 comes to the AMD platform along with a socket change.

And I would definitely recommend going with AMD. AMD's only going to get further ahead of Intel at least until Intel releases their next generation PC architecture.

Well, if you're looking for a cheap and flexible solution to upgrade, the ASRock 939Dual-SataII motherboard with an Athlon64 might be worth a look. The motherboard is very cheap, supports both AGP and PCIe (so you can keep your graphics card, saving lots of money, yet upgrade to a PCIe one later) as well as offering an expansion slot should you want to upgrade to a CPU later don the road that isn't socket 939 anymore. Its based on the ULi chipset, which got rave reviews around the web for being just as good or even outperforming both VIA and Nvidia chipsets.

srtn8 said:
Ok guys I need your advice as to whether or not I should upgrade. I use my pc for a lot of stuff....from gaming to home entertainment and everything in between. I currently have a

hp media center m270n
2.8c hyper threading
160 gig hd
bfg geforce 6800 gt oc
1 gig of ram
15" LCD Hp f1503 monitor

I looking at maybe building an AMD system but I wonder if i should just hold off until the upgrade would make more sense to me. I play EQ2, Doom3, FEAR, HL2, FarCry...etc...I would like to get into an sli and dual core setup but would it really be worth it right now for me? I would try and OC the current processor however w/ the poopy P4SD-LA (HP OEM) motherboard my options are limited at best.

If I were in your position, I would probably leave the system alone for now and buy a new monitor. Personal preference, but I can't stand to work on much less than a 17". The Dell 2001 or 2005fps can be had for a decent price, and it would be a very nice upgrade to your current monitor. They also are good enough that (unless you are waiting for ultra high contrast) they should outlast your computer.

If you don't care about the monitor, I think I would still wait for a while unless you have money to blow now. You'll want to get a PCIE system, which means replacing atleast your CPU/MB/Videocard. You'll need a new case/PS too, so really the only reusable parts you are looking at are drives/perepherals and maybe ram if it's DDR400. At this point you might as well leave the old system intact and either keep it as a second machine or sell it to fund your new system.

Nite_Hawk

well for those of you who suggest looking into a new system.....what do you think i could get out of my mobo, processor, video card, and monitor? ill keep the rest of the stuff to build my new system...

Back