Adverts created by idiots that annoy me and waste CPU....

Simon F

Tea maker
Veteran
Supporter
I'm refering in particular to the "Catch me an win" advert. I saved the animation and examined it in "the gimp". Each frame is set to to be displayed 0ms after the previous one, which implies "animate as fast as you can"

It appears the new browser I'm using tries (quite correctly) to meet the gif display rate requested, which means the browser crawls when it's visible.

Can someone here please tell these banner people to "get a clue". At least drop the rate to something sensible like 100hz => 10ms. That way there'll be a bit of CPU resource available so I can at least scroll down the screen!

I'll report it back to Rydium, but I highly doubt they'll actually do anything!

What browser / OS/ CPU are you on now Simon?

Browser: Konqueror (built in to KDE)
CPU: Athlon 1.66Ghz (==2000+)

will do some testing on my linux machine also...
Haven't thouch linux (other then mysql, apache, cobalt linux ect) lately, but I plan to do a complete checkup on the site soon.
I will have a go at konquerer also, I used to use Mozilla..

marco said:
will do some testing on my linux machine also...
Haven't thouch linux (other then mysql, apache, cobalt linux ect) lately, but I plan to do a complete checkup on the site soon.
I will have a go at konquerer also, I used to use Mozilla..

I've been really impressed by Konqeror. I have had problems with some flash and RealVideo stuff, but that may be just a problem with me not configuring it correctly with the (company) firewall.

Hmmm, I'm currently running trough the website with Konqueror and mozilla on mandrake 8.1 (900Mhz Athlon+Geforce III+320MB ram) and everything seems to be OK. But I haven't had those banners yet.

I'm still looking at a color for the links, which matches our lay-out...

If I Underline the links, it will happen everywhere, also in the menu's. Which I already tried and it didn't look that good.
Maybe font types...

marco, I'd prefer underlined links, or contrasting color if necessary. I can appreciate that the tables may not look as clean, but I prefer ease of use over streamlined appearance. Currently, links are too hard to find. I'd consider redesigning the site with underlined links in mind, if I were you. Have you considered eliminating table cell outlines, and using highlighted backgrounds on mouseover (as in the Our Service front page table) as a way to separate link titles?

Of course, the ideal solution would be to have separate formats for links in the front-page tables and those elsewhere. CSS won't let you do that relatively easily?

Back