Ads Are Now On Xbox Live :-/

This thread is totally ridiculous! You're complaining about ads??
Why is it rediculosu to not like ads?

common guys there's ads everywhere. Why is this such a big deal.
I think you answered your own question there. Ads are everywhere; could we please have ONE place in our lives where we don't get slapped in the face with them?

Particulary in a service that people pay for and don't offer any tangible benefits over similar free functionality on other platforms.
Peace.

Not that I really care on this issue, but ads are a valid complaint. Would you like to have an embedded ad in your webbrowser at all times? Probably not as it would get annoying, ads are just annoying period.
You mean my free web browser? Um don't know if you noticed but almost every webpage out there has ads. Like I said if the ads are NOT intrusive, what's the point of complaining about it. I can understand if the ads in some way inconvenience you or your usage of a product, but when it doesn't what both complaining?

In this case, I hardly ever sit on my dashboard, least of all that blade, so as long as they don't start integrating it in the music player, visualizer, media centre etc I'm fine.

Exactly why I said it's ridiculous to complain about this. Who sits on this screen? we don't have ads on every screen of the dashboard.

Agree 100% with expletive btw, when will MS step up and give the dedicated hosting that XBLive obviously needs? It's a big reason I don't play on it a lot, whenever I do it's usually a sub-par experience.
Not this BS again. This is a publisher issue. MS could only do this for their own games if they wanted. The decision to use dedicated servers is up to each individual publisher.

I do agree that gold members should be spared of such. Right now they don't seem to be intrusive but I'm not sure how long that'll last.

Why is it rediculosu to not like ads?

Not ads in general I'm talking about ads on one or two screens in the dashboard. It's ridiculous to complain about it when it's not intrusive. I don't see everyone complaining about the Ad abilities being built into home for Sony.

Particulary in a service that people pay for and don't offer any tangible benefits over similar free functionality on other platforms.
Peace.
Again paying for a service doesn't mean you don't get ads. It's more important that the ads are not intrusive. That argument about the issue being that you are paying for the service is extremely weak IMO...

If there is a way, it'd be great to hear about it. They don't bother me too much, but it would be nice to have the option.

Ads in the marketplace are OK (in particular those advertising content on marketplace), although MS probably feels that general ads for non-marketplace stuff wouldn't make as much sense there.

My search-fu is weak today. I cannot locate anything about it. I could have sworn it was something that I even replied in but I can't figure out how to only view the post I have made.

It's more important that the ads are not intrusive.

I agree.

I do find the Axe ads annoying though. They don't have anything to do with gaming, and they seem to be marketed to teenage males with IQ's below 75. I find them intrusive because I have to see them.

--Robert

I thought the ads were always there. Anyhow the whole market place looks like some kids who work for MTV designed it, it's atrocious. I only pop in when I hear of a new demo, but browsing it is a waste of time. The organization and non-game content is horrible. MS is really reaching for that 12-17 demographic.

You mean my free web browser? Um don't know if you noticed but almost every webpage out there has ads. Like I said if the ads are NOT intrusive, what's the point of complaining about it. I can understand if the ads in some way inconvenience you or your usage of a product, but when it doesn't what both complaining?

Exactly why I said it's ridiculous to complain about this. Who sits on this screen? we don't have ads on every screen of the dashboard.

I mean embedded IN your browser...so whil you're reading this post, a big flashing add would sit on your screen? WOuld you like that? I'm just illustrating the point that ads are annoying, contrary to your statement: "You're complaining about ads?? common guys there's ads everywhere. "

Despite the facts ads are everywhere, does not mean they are a welcome intrusion, and does not mean it's not a valid complaint. Going your logic, they could place an ad anywhere at anytime, and it woould be fine because: "ads are eveywhere"

Not this BS again. This is a publisher issue. MS could only do this for their own games if they wanted. The decision to use dedicated servers is up to each individual publisher.

BS? I think that my $60/year should entitle me to dedicated servers in all games, it would be a small fraction of the profit MS reaps in from the subscriptions, that's my opinion and it's no more BS than your position that you're OK paying for a subpar, inconsistent experience.

BS? I think that my $60/year should entitle me to dedicated servers in all games, it would be a small fraction of the profit MS reaps in from the subscriptions, that's my opinion and it's no more BS than your position that you're OK paying for a subpar, inconsistent experience.

Yeah $60 a year x 4 million people is a butt load of money. That's a quarter billion dollars a year. I wonder how much it would cost to run dedicated servers for all games per year?

I don't see everyone complaining about the Ad abilities being built into home for Sony.
Home is different. It's a standalone application. The blade with the ad on it pops up first thing every damn time I turn on my 360.

There's no way I could NOT see it..

Again paying for a service doesn't mean you don't get ads.
Igf they're going to make me pay for thigns other services offers for free AND serve me ads - then what the hell am I paying for?

I'd turn your statement on its head and say charging for something doesn't neccessarily mean it's alright to spam ads to the users as well.

We know MS game division is bleeding but that's no excuse to becoem that desperate. At least serve relevant ads but just any random crap like deodorants (from a brand with a history of decidedly sexist ads) don't exactly help against user annoyance.
P
eace.

Home is different. It's a standalone application. The blade with the ad on it pops up first thing every damn time I turn on my 360.

There's no way I could NOT see it..

There is always been an ad in that spot. Usually game related but an ad, is not like they just added it.
You can always tell it not to boot to the dashboard

More fundamentally, a Home comparison falls apart when you consider it is free. That's the nub of the complaint here..it's not free, yet you still see the ads.

A closer analogy would be if there was ad(s) embedded in the XMB, or the network portion of the XMB. And I'd hope that never happens given how clean the XMB is, but again, I'm not paying any subscription fees to ward that off.

More fundamentally, a Home comparison falls apart when you consider it is free. That's the nub of the complaint here..it's not free, yet you still see the ads.

A closer analogy would be if there was ad(s) embedded in the XMB, or the network portion of the XMB. And I'd hope that never happens given how clean the XMB is, but again, I'm not paying any subscription fees to ward that off.

Yes... in Home, the trick is: Advertisement spots are more subtle and in-context due to the 3D metaphor. e.g., People who wander into a Car zone or a Movie theater would naturally be interested in related items; Generic banner location are also part of the interior design (or it may look too bland).

Answered in post #6. I'm paying for the cable connection, not the program. With sat, you pay nothing here.
Actually, you certainly are paying for the content. Why do you think they charge more for more channels? They don't run more cable to your house, so it's not a connection charge, it's a content charge. Same for satellite. Just because they don't give you the option of getting a specific channel seperately, does not mean you aren't paying for that channel. The cable companies pay the content providers for the content, and then charge you for the ability to watch it.

We know MS game division is bleeding but that's no excuse to becoem that desperate. At least serve relevant ads but just any random crap like deodorants (from a brand with a history of decidedly sexist ads) don't exactly help against user annoyance.
P
eace.
Don't know about you, but the last time I went into a lan party, a lot of the folks there would have benefitted from that ad. I feel it's quite well targetted :devilish:

It's funny to see some people judging/criticising others because of " they don't like ads in a service that they pay 60 bucks / year " ...

oh.... the horror! ;):LOL:

I have a DVR so I don't watch any commercials, have an Ad Blocker on my browser, read my news off the Internet rather than magazines or newspapers and listen to CD's or MP3s and NEVER the radio (advertising HELL) so I purposely see/hear VERY LITTLE advertising in my life.

Movie theaters are the other other place that I pay for the service and have to endure their ads so it's not unprecedented.

So... I can live with a non intrusive ad or two that is in the same place that game ads have been since the service went live in Nov 05. However, I would appreciate an Opt Out option.

Back