Adjusting fan speed (X1900)

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
I haven't been able to adjust my fan speed recently on my video card, not even with atitool. I'm getting especially nervous due to the fact that it hits 107 degrees when I play Far Cry 2. The last time I remember being able to adjust the speed was with version .25 with atitool, but the later builds don't seem to have the option. I get an error, however, whenever I start up atitool, one which I don't know what it means:

I'm genuinely concerned about the well being of my card. Unfortunately, my case doesn't support 120mm fans, only 80mm, so the case tends to run a little hot, in general. At some point I plan on buying a new case, but I'd like to be able to play games safely until I do. The new CCC gives you thermal protection warnings, which I've received three of since installation of FC2. I read somewhere that the default fan speed of ati cards is set relatively low.

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Ink

Use that then

Not even that works, now. I've tried it. I read somewhere there's issues with atitool and Vista 64, which I'm running. So, my question is are there any other utilities that I can use to adjust my fan speed? I'm about two steps away from aiming a tabletop fan into my open case...

Not even that works, now. I've tried it. I read somewhere there's issues with atitool and Vista 64, which I'm running. So, my question is are there any other utilities that I can use to adjust my fan speed? I'm about two steps away from aiming a tabletop fan into my open case...

Riva tuner or the latest drivers, i think.

But riva tuner will definitely work.

download it at guru3d.com

I'm genuinely concerned about the well being of my card. Unfortunately, my case doesn't support 120mm fans, only 80mm, so the case tends to run a little hot, in general.

This is a kind of roundabout solution, but have you looked at the Antec 300 case? Really cheap with a lot of effective cooling. Nothing especially fancy, but for the price of a single game, you could fix any heat issues to do with your lack of case ventilation.

You might also want to see about cleaning your GPU heatsink/fan. Use a can of compressed air, but hold the fan still so a blast of air doesn't spin the fan so fast it damages the bearings.

Back