Adjusting Desktop Color with hotkeys

I used an AMD card and one feature of CCC that I used a lot was to create different desktop color profiles and assign hotkeys to them, so whenever I watch a very dark scene in a movie, or browse a very dark picture, I'd use the hotkeys to change brightness level on the fly.

Now I changed to a nVidia card, but I can't find similar feature on NV control panel. I already tried asking on geforce.com forums, but that place is hopeless.

So is there any way to achieve this? To be able to adjust desktop color with hotkeys? Any 3rd party tool? Or even an API or hack so I can write my own tool for doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Im pretty sure you can find alternative thirdparty software for it... i know some for games ( who let you choose and overdrive the color setup ( as you know games offtly revert the color profiles, as they have their own one choose ), but i can think you can got it with thirdparty one for desktop too.. Have you tried Nvinspector ?

I used Rivatuner back in the days to create gamma changing shortcuts, then Autohotkey to run them (e.g. assigning win+F1, win+F2, win+F3 etc. to gamma 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc.)
I can't recommend Autohotkey enough (it's fairly easy to use, or so I think). It stills exists, whereas Rivatuner doesn't afaik (it needed to be constantly updated by the author for new hardware and drivers)

I don't how you can change gamma with a shortcut or with a command line program these days. Nvidia driver certainly is able to do it at least from the panel, as always.

On linux there's the xgamma command which works regardless of GPU or driver, and assigning hotkeys depend on the environment (I can go to "control center" or "preferences", then "hot keys" for the easy way). I have Ctrl-Alt-1, Ctrl-Alt-2 etc. there.

Note that changing the gamma correction is the method I happen to like :), it seems to work everywhere (desktop, web, video, games) and doesn't seem to distort the colors or intensity levels too much (pure black stays black, pure white stays white)

I used an AMD card and one feature of CCC that I used a lot was to create different desktop color profiles and assign hotkeys to them, so whenever I watch a very dark scene in a movie, or browse a very dark picture, I'd use the hotkeys to change brightness level on the fly.

Now I changed to a nVidia card, but I can't find similar feature on NV control panel. I already tried asking on geforce.com forums, but that place is hopeless.

Thanks in advance.

Actually the easiest is to use your media player and its hotkeys during video playback to change any setting. In my case I use K-Lite Codec Pack which uses MPC-HC as the video player. Under options --> keys you can accept default or change hotkeys for increasing/decreasing many settings, ie brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, etc ....

Edit: nView was the Nvidia app. that did this functionality but they were removed from Geforce drivers and now is only found on Quadro drivers.

Rivatuner, and powerstrip, forget them, i think that they have not been updatted since ( maybe 5years - 8 years ) ... .. Riva tuner is now part of MSI afterburner ( the main developpers of riva is the developper of Afterburner ) .. and i really dont known what have happend to the powerstripe guys and their software ( is really powerstripe still existt ? i dont think )

Rivatuner, and powerstrip, forget them, i think that they have not been updatted since ( maybe 5years ) ... .. th
True, but they can still be used (I use PowerStrip everyday). But in all honesty I think best option is to use hotkey assignment capability inside the media player you use for movie playback.

Thanks for the replies... Nvinspector doesnt have anything to adjust color nor hotkey... I remember having those functions on Rivatuner, but I since it's not updated anymore, I didn't even bother trying... Since I've been so long using ATI, I'm not familiar with all 3rd party tools for nvidia... I still find it shocking that nvidia driver lacks such a basic functionality...

Also, using video player is not an option, watching a movie was just an example, I need to be able to adjust brightness on several occasions on the fly, browsing images on some 3rd party programs and web, movies, sometimes I even use on few games... CCC used to work ok for me on all occasions...

Right now I'm trying to learn NVAPI so I can write a tool just to set the brightness and use AHK to assign the globalhotkeys, but NVAPI documentation is horrible, I can't find any reference to adjust brightness or contrast, and any gamma search yields only AA related stuff... The only seach I've found was related to Video color settings (not desktop color), but NV rep said it was only present on NDA version of NVAPI, fml =/

OK I tried RivaTuner and even though it's dated 2009, I'm surprised it worked. It has exactly what I needed, I can setup profiles for desktop color and launch those through hotkeys. Two things I've noted, thou. It tried to install a non-signed driver, why does it need it? Also, it requires administrator privileges. The second part is the one that annoys me a little bit, because after boot I'm greeted with two UAC prompts. I can live with that, but my fear is that it won't work with newer windows (10), specially because the non-signed driver. Another fear I have is that I run both Rivatuner and MSI Afterburner on background, could there be incompatibilities between both?

MSI Afterburner is Rivatuner, just with a custom front end. You shouldn't need to install a seperate version of Rivatuner.

You're actually wrong, MSI Afterburner was born from Rivaturner overclocking component, it lacks everything else Rivaturner has, including adjusting desktop color and hotkeys... Since then Afterburner was updated to overclock newer cards while Rivatuner stopped in 2009. Unless ofc there is a new and updated version of Rivaturner being distributed elsewhere, which then I'd gladly replace Afterburner completely...

Have you allready heard about color sustainer software ? http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=386325

At the base, this little apps have been made for keep the ICC profile of your monitor ( that you have set or not ) when launching full screen games, because one thing about games color profile to know, is offtly they completely override the ICC color profile and use their own one. But then it work too for media player, image or anything.

I had use it several times ago, need say i was not using hotkey profile, but well.. maybe could give it a shot..

But like the old riva seems to work fine..

Back