Adapting mobile touch games to consoles: Could Mixed Reality be the best alternative?

onQ

Veteran
I been thinking about how a camera can be used to emulate a touch interface. Seems like a good idea until you think of the fact that the PS4 & Wii U controllers already have a touch interfaces & also the fact that you will probably be better off just playing the game on your tablet or smart phone. There isn't much gained from porting the touch controlled games to a console besides the bigger screen but you seem to lose a lot more

So how do you make these games worth the extra movements with your arms to do stuff that you can do with just the swipe of your finger on a tablet & make up for the loss of a physical connection?

My answer would be to make the game a Mixed Reality game placing the people in the game to change the experience from a tablet game.

It's too tiring ! Already tried that approach during PS3 era. Nintendo and Sony ended up with assorted attachments for our hands to hold. It's more tangible and snappy that way.

I think it makes more sense to design titles specifically for gesture input from ground up. IMHO of course.

It's too tiring ! Already tried that approach during PS3 era. Nintendo and Sony ended up with assorted attachments for our hands to hold. It's more tangible and snappy that way.

I think it makes more sense to design titles specifically for gesture input from ground up. IMHO of course.

The chip in the PS4 camera is the same chip that's being used in Omnivision's eye gaze tracking platform ,that has me thanking that the gaze tracking can take a lot of the work off of the hand movements. You could move the cursor with your gaze then simply make a tap gesture in the direction of the item.

Back