Ad problem?

OpenGL guy

Veteran
Is anyone else having problems with the Symantec ad? Whenever it comes up, the page won't load and I have to click on refresh.

Just me or global problem?

OpenGL guy said:
Is anyone else having problems with the Symantec ad? Whenever it comes up, the page won't load and I have to click on refresh.

Just me or global problem?
I think I've seen the symantic advert a couple of times but haven't had any problems. (I'm using Netscape 6 and Konquerer).

Epic's Sig said:
Bias meter: Republic [X - - - - | - - - - ] Democracy
What is that supposed to mean? A Republic (as is a "Constitutional Monarchy") is a democracy (unless you have a corrupt, gerrymandered system.).

Dio said:
Someone's been playing too much Civ?
Sorry, no.

I did play Dungeon Keeper for a while... sort of the complete opposite. Does that count? :)

Simon F said:
Epic's Sig said:
What is that supposed to mean? A Republic (as is a "Constitutional Monarchy") is a democracy (unless you have a corrupt, gerrymandered system.).
I get sick and tired of people calling the govermnent that the US has a democracy. It got especially bad during the 2000 presidential election. People incorrectly refer to our govermnent as a democracy. That is not so. We live under a republic. A republic is not a "constitutional monarchy" (ive actually never heard of this term before.). Im going to use quotes to make most of my arguments for me. ;)

Democracy. That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy. Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, pp. 388-389.
meaning if i got 50.00000001+% of the population to let me have an amendment to ban abortions of any kind, then I would succed. Remember in a democracy the majority wins.

Government; Republican government. One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly, or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers are specially delegated. In re Duncan, 139 U.S. 449, 11 S.Ct. 573, 35 L.Ed. 219; Minor v. Happersett, 88 U.S. (21 Wall.) 162, 22 L.Ed. 627. [Black's Law Dictionary, Fifth Edition, p. 626]
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Constitution said:
The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

A republican form of govermnent is ruled by law, whereas
a democratic form of govermnent is ruled by majority. Think about how this would affect your life if every major decision was made by a majority vote.

This isnt the right place to have this discussion, if youd like we can move this to the general board. I really feel strongly that people should know the type of govermnent we have and its limitations.

hope i have shed some light into my sig. :)

later,
epic

epicstruggle said:
Simon F said:
Epic's Sig said:
I get sick and tired of people calling the govermnent that the US has a democracy. It got especially bad during the 2000 presidential election.
I had a faint suspicion that it what you meant.

A republic is not a "constitutional monarchy"...
Yes I know that. I've lived in two countries that use this model
(ive actually never heard of this term before.).
Really? Tut tut tut to the US education system. ;) The UK, Australia, quite a number of European countries and, if I'm not mistaken, your neighbours just to the north are all constitutional monarchy systems.

And you are right... this has drifted WAYYYY off topic so I'm going to shut up now.

Nah I pretty sure they are a republic now they used to be a constitutional monarchy though if they still aren't.

I'm using Opera 7.

Damnit. Now some of the new ads show up in a tiny strip, like 20 x 5 pixels, but takes up the entire screen, so have to scroll down two pages just to get to the typical start of the forums. If this keeps up, I'm commenting out all ads from *.ADTRIX.COM.

If its any help, one ad linked through to http://www.xoxide.com/ ...

I had that issue for a short bit with mozilla 1.2 at school -- tiny add huge white space. It only happened once.

BRiT said:
I'm using Opera 7.

Damnit. Now some of the new ads show up in a tiny strip, like 20 x 5 pixels, but takes up the entire screen, so have to scroll down two pages just to get to the typical start of the forums.
Whew! I thought it was just my system going crazy. I'm getting it with Netscape as well. grrrrr

BRiT said:
I'm using Opera 7.

Damnit. Now some of the new ads show up in a tiny strip, like 20 x 5 pixels, but takes up the entire screen, so have to scroll down two pages just to get to the typical start of the forums. If this keeps up, I'm commenting out all ads from *.ADTRIX.COM.

If its any help, one ad linked through to http://www.xoxide.com/ ...
also using opera 7. same problem. however the problem is still there even if you have commented out (from hosts file) adtrix.com. arg, im getting sick of this (adtrix) site and their ads.

later,
epic

BRiT said:

Same problem, Mozilla 1.5.

Internet explorer is all showing up fine.

However, yesterday it seemed adtrix.com was unavailable, making each page fetch take 5 minutes, which led me to shortcut it in my hosts file at work. I don't seem to be having the problem at home.

I find this strange "dropdown" ad really annoying (shows no company, but price comparisons). If I disable javascript, it won't show up, but disabling js has other undesired effects.

Back