Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

DieH@rd

Legend
The first big games of the year are near release, it's time for another thread.

resident-evil-2-remake-ada-wong.png

Ada-Wong-Remake.jpg

sTY9PbL.jpg

After playing RE2 Demo, I find it hard that these PR shots are taken straight from the regular game. The devs VERY VERY MUCH love lens [de]focus, DoF, CA and film grain effects, the faces of characters in the demo often get smeared with these effects, even while talking. :) Still, great looking game.

Not a game but Alita Battle Angel is absolutely fantastic. Weta have outdone themselves with this one, Alita is one believable cyborg :)

Animation is 90% there, some scenes can look a bit odd but it is outstanding for pretty much the rest of the time. I was surprised by how natural the parts with real human actors interacting with Alita looked.

Weta video:

She can be very expressive :D

1233wje9.jpg

Last edited:
Just came back from the movie actually, the animation was really good indeed but the CGI clothes still got a long way to go to look and animate real. Also as long as she's got those disproportional huge eyes it kinda instantly takes away the believability of looking at a real human face.

I think Alita looks good in the above video until there a real humans in the picture. Then she immediately looks cartoon-ish and fake, she really sticks out as CGI. The scene with Christoph Waltz at about 0:31 gives me the creeps. Is it as bad in the final movie?

I wonder if the alarm rings because we truly detect it's CG or if it's just that the facial features would be weird no matter what. I mean, in real life that face would be very weird. Maybe what we're feeling it's just that, not the detection of CG per se... Or maybe both?

EDIT: sometimes certain people have faces that look kind of CG to me, but I know they are real.

For instance, this woman has always looked CG to me in The Expanse:

I know she's real, but I dunno... maybe she has a very symmetric face and the unnatural lighting does the rest.

To be honest I didn't even know up to now how extensive the CGI was here. I had only watched a trailer before, but I had thought it was shot with the actress as she is on set, and the eyes were just "photoshopped" in post (as with superman's mustache kind of thing) but going off of this video, it seems everything about her was synthesized. Of course she looks uncanny because of the eyes, like, no shit Sherlock, but the skin and hair look very believable indeed. The obvious inhuman eyes are actually a good strategy to distract from possible other subtler shortcomings of the render.
I guess using the capture footage, which was taken in-set, with proper lighting and everything, as reference helps a good deal too.
Props for the team for pulling off a full film with these many minutes of a naturalistic CGI human character (the protagonist no less) front left and center in so many shots. Probably one of the most ambitious CGI endeavors in mainstream Hollywood.

For me it wasn't only the eyes. It's the skin, too. Especially the way the facial skin and her wrinkles move, you can tell it's not real. Sometimes it's almost perfect, almost human, only to disappear in the fraction of a second. Also the skin is missing a little roughness, making the lighting just not right. It becomes very apparent when Alita and Rosa Salazar, the actress, are shown in motion next to each other. The hair is really great. I think we are still a couple of years away from really believable human rendering in movies.

I think Alita looks good in the above video until there a real humans in the picture. Then she immediately looks cartoon-ish and fake, she really sticks out as CGI. The scene with Christoph Waltz at about 0:31 gives me the creeps. Is it as bad in the final movie?
I didnt even think she looked good at any stage, right from the get go she looked fake. The above would be good for a console game but if thats today's top of the line pre-rendered by a top company then we are a long way from getting CGI ppl to look perfect

The Boss from MGS3 looked real more frequently than Alita.

That said, I don't think she's really supposed to look like a real human, but rather, like a real android. If I worked at WETA, that'd be my excuse, anyway.

The human model looks really nice but the low res texture on the jacket has got to go. Deakin's face model and shading looks better here but the clothing texture is better on Delsin's.
infamous-secondson-26.jpg

The human model looks really nice but the low res texture on the jacket has got to go. Deakin's face model and shading looks better here but the clothing texture is better on Delsin's.
infamous-secondson-26.jpg
Agreed but considering what we had with PS360 and these examples of what possible with this generation, it's exciting to think what next generation will look like.

Just came back from the movie actually, the animation was really good indeed but the CGI clothes still got a long way to go to look and animate real. Also as long as she's got those disproportional huge eyes it kinda instantly takes away the believability of looking at a real human face.
Agree, the eyes are a huge distraction....

Digic Picture's "The Secret War" from Netflix's LoveDeath+Robots should be our new benchmark for future realtime rendering projects. :D It's gonna be quite a while until we can match this [unless Naughty Dog manages to do wonders with ~1080Ti level of GPU power in PS5].
https://abload.de/img/love.death.and.robotsisk29.jpg
https://abload.de/img/love.death.and.robotsk6jxy.jpg

Because, wow!

BTW, where's our Laa-Yosh now? Is he still @ Digic?
I'm also wondering what happened to Laa-Yosh, I miss his very informative posts !

Aye, Love Death and Robots has some amazing CGI.

I kept wondering how close we'll get next generation. Obviously, we won't see anything with the same level of fidelity, but I'm curious how well we can be tricked.

Digic Picture's "The Secret War" from Netflix's LoveDeath+Robots should be our new benchmark for future realtime rendering projects. :D It's gonna be quite a while until we can match this [unless Naughty Dog manages to do wonders with ~1080Ti level of GPU power in PS5].
https://abload.de/img/love.death.and.robotsisk29.jpg
https://abload.de/img/love.death.and.robotsk6jxy.jpg

Because, wow!

BTW, where's our Laa-Yosh now? Is he still @ Digic?
Beyond the Aquila Rift by Unit Image is on a whole another level in terms of characters animation and rendering (Greta). The Witness is also fully CG (yes no life footage rotoscoping etc..)

Back