Academic PS3 dev kits in closed beta

Crossbar

Veteran
I couldn´t find a thread about this.

Speaking at the Games/Edu strand of the Develop Conference 2009, SCEE R&D's Sarah Lemarie has confirmed that a PS3 dev kit designed for academia is now in closed beta.

"I have exciting news. We have started a PS3 Academic Development Programme, and we're refering to the dev kits as mini-dev kits, which I can best describe as being in a closed beta stage at present. We'll be opening this beta up slowly," confirmed Lemarie, who works as SCEE R&D's education contact and support infrastructure development team manager.

"Of course universities can use Linux to program on the PS3," added Lemarie, "but I would really strongly recommend that if you are interested in the PS3 you look into this, as the experience you will get over Linux is quite incredible."

The dev kit includes a consumer sized PS3 with a low power function, two USB ports, and a full SDK.

"We're making PhyreEngine available as part of this program,"
added Lemarie.

If this is based on the same dev kit DECR-1400A which was presented at GDC 09 it would be pretty neat.

Which school ? Which school ?

I probably don't have time. But Home SDK may be just nice. :(

From this old slide show about previous SCEE edu-programs I´d guess at least one of these:
  • University of Greenwich
  • University of Alberay Dundee
  • University of Lincoln
  • Sheffield Hallam University

But I guess it would be easiest to post your question straight to
sarah_lemarie@scee.net

She looks friendly.
sarahlemarie.jpg

So they're trying to catch up with XNA here too. Wise decision, and it gives hope that PhyreEngine may take up a similar place to XNA eventually. I really hope so.

If this is based on the same dev kit DECR-1400A which was presented at GDC 09 it would be pretty neat.

Sounds similar to what they are offering to the universities. I hope the PS Eye Toolkit is in too besides PhyreEngine.

There is no SCEA, Japan and Asia equivalent for this program right ? I know Sony has other arrangement for Korea, Taiwan and India.

EDIT:
Ok, SCEA does have one but it's based on PS2 hardware in the mean time:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/06/playstation-edu/

Don't know if they'll upgrade to PS3 like SCEE.

Back