A64 rocks in Doom 3

AMD trounces intel in most respects at the moment, however I have faith that it will become more competitive in the future when intle moves to desktop mobile chips instead of simply pursing ridiculously high chip frequencies.

Yes I realize there is select applications that intel is good in, but I speak from price/performance ratio mindset and from that side amd while RAISING their prices is still a better deal than intel though it kinda pisses me off when will I get my new uber system at this rate? never hmpf :?

Tim said:
Seems like an A64 3000+ beats the P4 Extreme Edition
Actually, it doesn't beat it - not the P4 3.4EE at least. Close though, and the A64 3200+ certainly would beat it...
and the very cheap Sempron 3100+ beats a 3.2GHz P4.
Only the Northwood, not the Prescott though.
The results are not surprising at all IMHO, they draw a very similar picture to other gaming benchmarks (especially ut2k4) iirc.
So performance standings are a bit like that, comparing the "middle-end" cpus of each cpu family:
P4 based Celeron non-D (not tested here though) <<<<< Celeron D < Athlon XP < P4C ~ A64 Sempron < P4E < P4EE < A64 < AFX. A not very uncommon pattern in game benchmarks, though the P4E and P4C are likely to swap their places in some games.
It has been said countless times - for gaming, the A64 offers a lot more bang for the buck than any of intels offerings.

Back