A tail like utility

suryad

Veteran
I am sure anyone who has worked with linux/unix etc will know what I am talking about but I was wondering if there was some similar utility out there available to use deprived windows users.

Since I dont' know what TAIL is, I typed Linux Tail Utility into google -- the first six hits were Windows version of the TAIL utility, whatever it is.

So, did you start there? Or are you looking for experience?

I am sure anyone who has worked with linux/unix etc will know what I am talking about but I was wondering if there was some similar utility out there available to use deprived windows users.
perhaps install cygwin?

I had totally forgotten I had posted this here. But yeah I know about cygwin but I wondering if there was just some little exe one could run through the regular windows cmd prompt to get that similar functionality.

I am running the latest beta of cygwin (dont see any difference tbh) but my god does the regular windows cmd prompt SUCK. My only gripe with windows for development is the frigging cmd prompt. Make it with multi tabbed, make it more like the linux bash.

I had totally forgotten I had posted this here. But yeah I know about cygwin but I wondering if there was just some little exe one could run through the regular windows cmd prompt to get that similar functionality.

I am running the latest beta of cygwin (dont see any difference tbh) but my god does the regular windows cmd prompt SUCK. My only gripe with windows for development is the frigging cmd prompt. Make it with multi tabbed, make it more like the linux bash.

GnuWin32 posted above has what you want. I think you can even trim down the list of apps it downloads in the installation script, if all you want is tail. It also has other nice things like sed, awk, grep.

And I echo your complaint about shells. I even tried to use PowerShell, which has some cool features... but it's hard to give up on the unix tools.

Back