A stupid question about integrated graphics chips

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by shuipi, Mar 26, 2011.

1. shuipi

Newcomer

I'm building a new pc. I want to buy the intel i7 2600k CPU and not buy a separate graphics card because I know it includes a graphics chip. This is the first time I'm looking into this kinds of CPU, so my question is very basic: without a graphics card, how do I connect to the monitor? Is there a DVI on the motherboard?

2. DarthShader

Regular

Yes, there is a DVI and/or other connectors on the board, but you have to buy a board with a H67 chipset. And those won't allow overclocking of that K chip, so you can save some money there. :) (unless you want to have 12EU's on the IGP, instead of only 6)

3. shuipi

Newcomer

Does this mean other chipsets than H67 just completely disable the IGP and it's just wasted on those motherboards? If i buy a H67 MB and later on I buy a separate graphics card and disable the IGP, I can still not overclock the CPU?

4. DarthShader

Regular

I think H61 also uses the IGP, only P67 doesn't allow to use it. But with some software from Lucid you can use QuickSync on a P67 board, so it's not all wasted. No CPU OCing on H67 no matter what.

FYI, soon, probably in April Intel is going to release the Z68 chipset which is going to allow both OC and IGP. Should come with a appropiate price tag though.

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Just find somebody with an old PCIe card they are willing to donate to your cause. Intel's segmentation is ridiculous for these CPUs.

6. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

7. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

With Z68 can you use the integrated gpu's encoding abilities without putting a monitor on it?