A router or a switch.....

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Ok, got a somewhat complicated (for me at least) network addition i need to make. Im not sure if i should just redo the whole thing, or add a switch/router to accommodate the new items.

This is what i got going so far:
Code:
            cable modem
                 |
      [U]        router   [/U] --------------->router ----   WIRELESS ---->  pc
      |       |      |
   printer  pc    [[COLOR="Red"]NEW[/COLOR]]

I need to add 4-5 network players and a pc/NAS under NEW. Do you think that I should go with another router or go with a switch (where NEW is) at this point?

Why so many routers? I would have used the wireless router right after the cable modem (they usually have a few wired ports) and stuck a switch after that.

I hate many routers.

To explain that particular line:
router --------------->router ---- WIRELESS ----> pc

2 routers and a pc. The first router is next to my modem in the kichen. it is wired to the second router about 200 feet away. this second router provides my pc with wireless internet.

You only need switches. A router is basically a switch with the addition of a modem so you can go outside your own network and connect to your ISP. As long as you are behind a router you only need to use a switch because you dont need the modem functionality.

You only need switches. A router is basically a switch with the addition of a modem so you can go outside your own network and connect to your ISP. As long as you are behind a router you only need to use a switch because you dont need the modem functionality.

No.

Also, Epic, why the second router? Why not just use the Wireless router? The signal to weak?

Wrong. A router routes packets between networks. That's why you need a router to have your own LAN with it's own IP range on your side of a cable modem. A switch routes packets on the same subnet only. Most of today's home routers combine both a switch and a router. Some have a built in modem, but that is mostly for DSL. Most cable routers don't have an integrated cable modem.

network.jpg
This should explain it better. I tried just having a wireless router where my modem is. However the signal would not reach where the pc is, so i had to get a wireless modem closer to the pc.

I need to add 4-5 network players and a pc/NAS under NEW. Do you think that I should go with another router or go with a switch (where NEW is) at this point?

Switch would be simplest and cheapest. You're really just wanting to add a load more ports to your first router.

Bear in mind though, that with a lot of clients accessing your NAS, that link between the new switch and the existing router will be a bottleneck. It will be fine for the new PCs on the same side as the NAS, but traffic that goes across that NEW link will be limited to the speed of the ports on the switch and existing router.

You know a lot of wireless routers can act as wireless bridges and repeaters to enable you to extend wireless networks across greater distances? So for instance, you could have a wireless router at your current router, one where your current wireless is, and one by your PC, all of them joined together wirelessly as one network to cover the whole of that area.

With the right firmware, you could even run a hotspot for your customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong. A router routes packets between networks. That's why you need a router to have your own LAN with it's own IP range on your side of a cable modem. A switch routes packets on the same subnet only. Most of today's home routers combine both a switch and a router. Some have a built in modem, but that is mostly for DSL. Most cable routers don't have an integrated cable modem.

Maybe I explained it wrong. What I ment was a router is only interrested in IP addresses, because of that it can communicate with computers outside of your LAN (the internet, maybe I went wrong here because around here almost everything is ADSL so if you buy a router in the store it will work with your ISP after setup unlike with a cable modem that will do the communication with your isp). The switch only manages a MAC table so it cant communicate with computers outside its network but that doesnt matter for Epic as he doesnt need to.

I am surprised switches are so expensive. I must have bought a 100MB one last time b/c it was like $30.00 for a 16 port one.

Back