A question regarding artifacting.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Blakhart, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Blakhart

Newcomer

I have a card that has an intermittent artifact that shows up on dark backgrounds in the same place every time. Up at the top line of the screen, a string of pixels becomes white. Sometimes I see it at boot on a black screen background, sometimes in games.

Should I be concerned that this is something that will worsen? It's not running hot, and gets plenty of power from the psu. 7900gtx by the way.

2. Davros

Legend

start saving for a new card is the best advice i can give you because it could very well die or then again it could soldier on for years

3. Blakhart

Newcomer

4. hoom

Veteran

Do you have transparency anti aliasing enabled?
    There was something about that causing a 1/2 pixel offset or something, I recall it causing a white line along the top in Farcry on my Radeon 9800.

5. Blakhart

Newcomer

No, but gamma aliasing was on, so I have disabled it. I generaly run at 2xaa and 16xaf at 10x7 res. I noticed some odd taxturing in one game on certain surfaces, and it reminded me exactly of how an ati rage card rendered the same game back in the day. Perhaps the results seen are caused by similar issues?

6. hoom

Veteran

Did that fix the issue?

7. Blakhart

Newcomer

Oddly enough, it seems to have. I have looked for the pixel artifact and the miscoloured textures and they have yet to appear. I have the driver set to high quality, and 16x af.
    One thing, 16xaf seems to be less sharp than I remember it being on other cards....

8. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

texture filtering is the weak point of geforce 6 and 7 : angle dependant and with some amount of shimmering (that can be corrected in older games by using 8xS or 16xS AA)

gamma correct anti-aliasing is a feature I can't get to work (I get no anti-aliasing alltogether) so you can probably forget about it.

9. OpenGL guy

Veteran

What you're describing is a common artifact of using MSAA. "Corruption" along the top and left edges can occur when an application does a full-screen effect that doesn't cover all the MSAA samples. It's perfectly normal as long as it's limited to a single pixel wide strip.

10. Blakhart

Newcomer

Yep, that's it to a t. It still happens, and unless the background is dark I can't tell if it's continuous or not. It comes and goes with mouse movement and what happens on screen.

11. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

thanks, that explains the weird top and left lines I get when running Unreal Tournament through zeckensack's glide wrapper (the idea never occured to me to try without AA)

12. Davros

Legend

you should be running ut with the third party opengl renderer