a question about quantum computing

Techno+

Regular
Hello,

Recently a question just popped into my mind, do those people who have a computer engineering degree ( be it bachelors etc) and would like to work in the field of quantum computers ( once they take off) have to get a degree in quantum mechanics? or will a bit of training and reading about quantum computers be adequate?

Thanx

I thought quantum computers are a myth? I'll believe it when I have one in my house and playing Doom 3 on it.

Onto your question:
Do you need to be able to add/multiply/divide in binary to use a computer? I don't even know how to multiply/divide a number using logical ops. Doesn't mean I can't work it out if I need it.

Not really quantum mechanics has alot of maths primarly with wave equations which you wouldn't get in most Bachelors of computer engineering I'd assume. Is there degrees in quantum mechanics. But if your willing to put enough effort into it anything is possible.

I'd be surprised if a computer science degree would have any relevance whatsoever for the field of quantum computing, it's mostly still in the realm of pure physics I think. A PhD in solid-state physics or optics would most likely be where you'd need to start if you want to do research at the forefront of QC.

As for asking what qualifications you'll need "once QC takes off", that's like asking what qualifications you'll need to drive the a nuclear-fusion-propelled anti-gravity-drive spaceship.

As for asking what qualifications you'll need "once QC takes off", that's like asking what qualifications you'll need to drive the a nuclear-fusion-propelled anti-gravity-drive spaceship.
That is easy. Go to the StarFleet Academy ;)

well im not going to stop at bachelors of C.E, in fact i plan on doing masters and Ph.d. Im just worried that after all this effort my knowledge becomes kind of useless once quantum computers replace current computers.

That's the wrong way to look at things I think. Almost all technical disciplines are fast moving these days. The knowledge base changes very rapidly. You can't expect that once you've finished your bachelors/masters/PhD you'll know all there is to know and you can simply stop learning then and there. If you think that the stuff you've learned by the time you're 24 is all you're going to need to know until you retire at 60, you'll be out of a job by the time you're 26! ;)

What you're taught in a bachelors is a simple grounding in the subject (much will be out-of-date and/or horribly over-simplified even at the time its taught to you). A PhD is very different from a bachelors, a PhD teaches you how to do research, how to find out new stuff, it doesn't teach you just more facts. It also teaches you that you'll never stop learning and never stop changing the way you think. The knowledge (list of facts) you gain during a bachelors/masters/PhD is almost peripheral, the most important thing you'll gain is experience. It's the experience you should hang on to, not the "knowledge".

I don't know why you're worried about quantum computing either. It's not like it's going to change the computing world overnight -- if indeed it has any impact at all, which is far from certain. At the moment it's just hype and jargon IMO.

Not really quantum mechanics has alot of maths primarly with wave equations which you wouldn't get in most Bachelors of computer engineering I'd assume.

Here at the University of Alberta, some of the more "relevant" courses can be found in the undergraduate Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering streams where one is introduced to the use of wave equations; the Eng Phys folks have many courses from the Physics deparment. It can be a somewhat broad subject (waves) if you're looking at just the optics alone or if you look at how an electron behaves at the nanoscale (<20nm) for an electromechanical device or if you're more interested in plasma physics (which I thought was the most difficult to grasp).

As for a qualifications... well, it'd be more reputable for yourself these days if you had a physics degree or engineering physics degree (working towards a PhD), and then you'd need a BSc in BS to get yourself a prof to take you on as a researcher j/k. :)

Given the industry and market, it doesn't seem likely that quantum computers will replace conventional computers any time soon (relative to your BSc, MSc and PhD) even if they were able to make on. You could say the components are a lot more sensitive to external effects, and afterall, what would be the benefit to the average user if Office 21st century could load millions of times faster? :p Seriously though, the benefits of QC are towards calculations, which essentially relegates it towards more specialized functions e.g. environment simulations and high-resolution graphics IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
well im not going to stop at bachelors of C.E, in fact i plan on doing masters and Ph.d. Im just worried that after all this effort my knowledge becomes kind of useless once quantum computers replace current computers.

quantum computers will never replace classic computers. they will be able to do some awesome stuff that would involve 2^256 operations on classic computers, but some other stuff like adding two numbers together might be extremely awkard or even completly impossible.

I think nutball is right... for now and for the forseeable future quantum computing is almost entirely in the realm of experimental physics, not applied microprocessor or system architecture design. So think more physics, not computer engineering. In 50 years, who knows, maybe CE will cover the requisite areas such that graduates can apply their training to design quantum architectures, but it isn't going to help you now. About the closest would be a B.S. and M.S. in CE followed by a PhD either in engineering or physics specializing in quantum computing. But probably easier to just go the physics route from the beginning.

If you really want to head into that field, I'd recommend a double major for the BS in CE and physics, and then concentrate on the physics side. Second best would be minor in physics with a BS in CE and then see if the physics dept. would take you for a master's and later PhD. I'd suggest the opposite, a phyiscs major with minor in CE but I'm not sure engineering disciplines allow a minor, I know my school didn't... you could probably always just take the courses though even if it wasn't part of a degree route (even a minor degree route) so that you'd have the knowledge, and hopefully someone would appreciate it being on your resume.

Back