A Plague Tale: Requiem - The Rats of Us [PS5, XBSX|S, PC, XGP, NX]

Or simply it needed to make those cuts to get to 60 regardless if stable or not.
Meaning it may not be 'let's just cut everything to get to stable 60'.
Believe animation is also halfed at points.

All the cuts shows that it wasn't simple to get a 60 fps mode.
With enough cuts you generally will be able to get there though, but as gen goes on that may need to be factored in from start of development.
???

I'm not sure what this means in regards to my post.

I was speculating on the nature of the cuts and how the game performed. I didn't say it was easy to optimize the game for 60, I don't know their development process nor would I insinuate devs jobs are easy or flicking or a switch in any case, trust me.

But it was still very possible to do so, hence the patch we are seeing. Factoring 60 into game development from the start is traditionally always how consoles would get to 60. This is the first gen when games both crossgen and current gen only could get to 60 with some good optimization passes even if not originally optimized for that.

That's exciting and hows how much unbalanced hw was holding higher fps gameplay back on console.

Or simply it needed to make those cuts to get to 60 regardless if stable or not.
Meaning it may not be 'let's just cut everything to get to stable 60'.
Believe animation is also halfed at points.

All the cuts shows that it wasn't simple to get a 60 fps mode.
With enough cuts you generally will be able to get there though, but as gen goes on that may need to be factored in from start of development.
Which is puzzling because the game runs at an uncapped frame rate and seems to soar above 60fps with ease. Seems like they were too aggressive with the downgrades and have a lot of headroom.

Which is puzzling because the game runs at an uncapped frame rate and seems to soar above 60fps with ease. Seems like they were too aggressive with the downgrades and have a lot of headroom.
Which is where my speculation comes in that they wanted to make sure 60 never fell in any case

Which is where my speculation comes in that they wanted to make sure 60 never fell in any case
You're probably correct but if I were them, I would tolerate some dips in the high or even mid-50s. I prefer my game to run at 61fps with great graphics than 85fps with meh ones, especially one like this one which is a slow-paced stealth adventure.

You're probably correct but if I were them, I would tolerate some dips in the high or even mid-50s. I prefer my game to run at 61fps with great graphics than 85fps with meh ones, especially one like this one which is a slow-paced stealth adventure.
I dunno, based on what I've seen from videos the graphics still seem pretty similar despite the cuts

The graphics are good and for being sure to have 60 fps locked you need to be at 60 fps when the engine is pushed to the limit. It seems they have one locked 60 fps mode and one uncapped framerate mode.

And the graphics continue to be amongst the best one on 60 fps mode too.

This is like a PC version with someone with a low/mid range GPU wanting to run the game at 60 fps. This is a great choice they give to console gamer. The one wanting better graphics will choose the resolution mode or the 40 fps mode if they have a HDMI 2.1 TV/monitor, the other will choose the performance mode.

EDIT: And if someone want better graphics. He can play the game on PC with a high end or better a very high end PC with a 4090 GPU for example. This GPU is ready for the current console generation and the next one...

Last edited:
???

I'm not sure what this means in regards to my post.

I was speculating on the nature of the cuts and how the game performed. I didn't say it was easy to optimize the game for 60, I don't know their development process nor would I insinuate devs jobs are easy or flicking or a switch in any case, trust me.

But it was still very possible to do so, hence the patch we are seeing. Factoring 60 into game development from the start is traditionally always how consoles would get to 60. This is the first gen when games both crossgen and current gen only could get to 60 with some good optimization passes even if not originally optimized for that.

That's exciting and hows how much unbalanced hw was holding higher fps gameplay back on console.
Probably just mis read what you put.
But it's normal for games to have such a high fps when you want a solid min fps.
Does it have DRS and how aggressive?

there is one level in particular which has the typical medieval tower and it felt good to climb it as when you climb a medieval castle in real life...,

In addition, that level surprised me a lot, since I've seen the typical roman or medieval bridge with an inverted V shape that exist in the region where I live still to this date, and totally functional, and to make it even better, close to there in the level there is a tumulus -very typical here in Galicia and in other parts of Europe-.

As someone who loves to visit heritage places in the weekends with my GF, and there are lots and lots of those, once again I am surprised at the attention of detail of the developers.

Last edited:
it is a rainy and windy day in real life where I live, and I got to a tower, the wind was howling in the game and I was looking outside at the window thinking that it was in real life, since it sounded so real. I am playing on my monitor -which has no speakers- using some pretty basic USB speakers connected to the monitor and even so, it seemed like a sound in real life.

The sound design in this game is another detail that sets it apart. It's more or less like the scene of the storm in the beach.

My review.

I completed the game today. One of my favourite games of this generation.

As you play Requiem you get more and more involved in an adventure with touches of action and puzzle that is more engaging than an illegal party.

The game takes place shortly after the original title, this time in the lands of Provence where we will live the adventures of Amicia and her brother Hugo, accompanied by some companions who will help us in combat and puzzles.

The game is not difficult. You can, however, play it deactivating the help in the case of the puzzles.

The changes this time occur in the number of types of projectiles and the addition of new weapons. More enemies are added, some difficult but affordable if you know how to fight them.

The best, the story, as in the first. This time in Provence, in the south of France. There we fight against soldiers and slavers as well as flee from the damn rats.

Graphically it will be one of the most demanding games. And also one of the best, sometimes it looks like an animated movie, lighting wise. I played it on my Intel A770 16GB and I noticed some stuttering at times running at 60fps or more so I locked the game at 30fps with Rivatuner and used Lossless Scaling for Frame Generation. Still not perfect but a better experience. For the rest, correct.

Best OST I've ever heard. The medieval music makes your skin crawl when there are fights against bosses or difficult enemies. 11 out of 10.

Innovation. The combat is similar. New features are added to Hugo and his sister, Sophia and Lucas. The first controls the rats, the second, new weapons and elements to throw with a sling, pots, by hand and crossbow, and the third helps a lot with her prism, while Lucas helps at times with his Stupefaccio. It innovates little, but it does it well.

It's also a game with the correct duration.

In short, an action adventure with puzzles, secret chests, and much more, that engages with its story. I'd give it a 9,2. Negatively, perhaps, while the gameplay is fun, it's a bit over simplified where light and grass are the main elements. Some might say that it needs more action, I'd say that it could have less action but use more gameplay elements than the aforementioned, 'cos the AI does weird things when you are in the grass, and the light scheme is too convenient at times, which is limiting. The biggest flaw I found is the facial animations. There has been also a couple of occasions where Amicia got stuck in some kind of wall between some rocks or tables, but that's not game breaking, and in one of those two occasions I managed to free her up for that invisible wall.

In general, very good.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

Last edited:
can you still move the camera around in cutscenes using photo mode ? Or did they patch it out ?
Was funny to do.
what happened if you did that? Did it break the graphics in some way? I haven't tried for now tbh, but I used photo mode a couple of times.

Back