A new video card for my son for his birthday.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Trying to plan ahead for shipping delays and order right after receiving a $2,400 stimulus check so my wife doesn't bitch. After watching AdoredTV's latest video I decided it's time to give nVidia a try.

I was thinking of a 2070, specifically this one over on Amazon for $399. I admit I haven't kept up with graphics cards and I'm running a RX 580 quite happily. Me and my son have the same CPU/mobo/memory, so it's for a Ryzen 5 1600 on a B450 mobo with 2x8GB PC3200. (Just found out the B450s will be the lowest compatible with ryzen 4 series coming out so feel like I won the mobo lottery in my cheap builds!)

I haven't been keeping up with cards lately, had a lot more on my plate and still do. Is this a good card, is there better for a similar price point? This seems like a good price for the card, but I wanted to get some second opinions before doing anything rash. I still have 3 weeks. :)

Thanks in advance and no I haven't rebuilt Bubbles yet, been looking for parts to mount a jeep winch in at 10th anniversary/Hard Rock/75th anniversary Wrangler which just arrived today and my wife wasn't aware you needed a mounting kit and now she wants a stinger bar too. <sigh> Oh, I gladly take opinions on the jeep stuff too, I'm looking at this stinger bar or one of these and probably this mounting kit or else see if I can get this one.

Doubt you can go wrong with that card. I have a R9 290 windforce and that thing sounds like a 747 taking off but that probably has more to do with the R9 series generating more heat that a nuclear power plant than anything else.

I bought a Palit 2070 super the other day and that thing is pretty silent even under load. Silent enough for my wife not to complain while working in the computer room and me remote playing. It's audible but not load. They also have a 2070 so that might be another option if it's available. Though really the gigabyte is probably not very different.

Ps. I think Nvidia got a lot of shit for their GeForce experience or whatever it's called drivers but I actually kinda like them. I like how you can just click a button and it will select the best settings for you. Also has some decent explanations about what each setting does.

In case you remote play games and have a shield tv, I think their streaming solution is also better than steam in home streaming from my short experience so far.

That stinger bar looks like a great way to make sure that whatever you hit in the unfortunate case of an accident is definitely dead.

Last edited:
Trying to plan ahead for shipping delays and order right after receiving a $2,400 stimulus check so my wife doesn't bitch. After watching AdoredTV's latest video I decided it's time to give nVidia a try.

I was thinking of a 2070, specifically this one over on Amazon for $399. I admit I haven't kept up with graphics cards and I'm running a RX 580 quite happily. Me and my son have the same CPU/mobo/memory, so it's for a Ryzen 5 1600 on a B450 mobo with 2x8GB PC3200. (Just found out the B450s will be the lowest compatible with ryzen 4 series coming out so feel like I won the mobo lottery in my cheap builds!)

I haven't been keeping up with cards lately, had a lot more on my plate and still do. Is this a good card, is there better for a similar price point? This seems like a good price for the card, but I wanted to get some second opinions before doing anything rash. I still have 3 weeks. :)

Thanks in advance and no I haven't rebuilt Bubbles yet, been looking for parts to mount a jeep winch in at 10th anniversary/Hard Rock/75th anniversary Wrangler which just arrived today and my wife wasn't aware you needed a mounting kit and now she wants a stinger bar too. <sigh> Oh, I gladly take opinions on the jeep stuff too, I'm looking at this stinger bar or one of these and probably this mounting kit or else see if I can get this one.

hows the price of SUPER cards? In my country the SUPER cards are almost the same price as non super. RTX also have DLSS so even if not using ray tracing, you can "cheat" the performance.

Generally nvidia also have lower cpu overhead than radeon, so its nice for your ryzen.

EDIT:
uh it seems 2060 super is cheaper than 2070 but have very similar performance https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2060S-Super/4029vs4049

You can't beat an RTX 2070 for $400, that's $100 off its MSRP of $499. RTX 2060 Super has the same performance with a lower MSRP of $400, though typical street prices are a bit higher than these MSRPs, likely due to demand from home gamers who are stuck in the quarantine. Also Radeon RX 5700 XT has the same performance and MSRP of $400, and current street prices are the same $400 or slightly less.

RTX 2070 Super comes with almost 30% more performance with the same MSRP of $499 as regular 2070, but street prices are higher than that, starting from $530. AMD doesn't currently have a similarly performing Radeon product.

If you ever find yourself limited by CPU performance, Ryzen 7 3700X/3800X should give you a 30-50% boost over Ryzen 5 1600, due to architetural improvements and higher clocks. Ryzen 4000-series are coming by end of 2020 with another 15-20% boost.

Keep in mind that installing high-end graphics cards with their elaborate cooling systems into some smaller cases with an mATX motherboard could be a challenge.

Last edited:
but most street prices are holding higher than these MSRPs , likely due to demand from home gamers who are stuck in the quarantine.
From another post
ps: paid £358 for my 2070 from scan (wow prices have increased)

posted this 8th feb in the ryzen build thread
Cheapest prices where I shop
RTX 2060 £274.99
RTX 2060 SUPER £329.99
RTX 2070 £355.99

now 26th apr same shop
RTX 2060 £299.99
RTX 2060 SUPER £398.99 (out of stock) £428.99 (in stock) £419.99 (pre order)
RTX 2070 £499.99 (in stock) £398.99 (pre order)

The only downside is the cheques have trumps signature, loosing that will be hard to live with ;)

LOL! Thanks everyone, his motherboard is a Asrock B450 Pro 4 and he has a bloody full tower case that I'm still a bit jelly of..it's so big! I don't think size will be a problem.

Oh, he also got a 1300w EVGA PSU last year for his BD so he's set power wise. The reason for the PSU is he was running an FX with an R9 295x2 who's crossfire hasn't worked in years since it's no longer supported and it drives my son nuts only using half his GPU power.

I'll talk to the wife about the 2070 tonight and get a firm budget, thank you again for all the advice and input. I did end up picking up the Jeep winch mounting plate from Bulldog and a different stinger bar I found on Amazon I liked better. (I might paint it though to match the bumper rather than the Jeep, but I'm not deciding until I have it to see how it looks.) Should be bolt on parts, hoping to the gods that they actually are!

The only downside is the cheques have trumps signature, loosing that will be hard to live with ;)
We had it direct deposited so no check, and we haven't gotten the letter with his name on it yet about the check and I'm still uncertain how I'll deal with that one.

Probably keep it as a memento. Sort of my version of a t-shirt that says, "I SURVIVED THE STUPID OF 2020!"

why not get the 2070 you posted originally it's only a 2 week wait ?
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Windforce-Graphics-GV-N2070WF2-8GD/dp/B0856XW6P1/
Because it's not anymore, now it's in an indefinite "out of stock". :(

Might have to aim a bit cheaper, the wife did NOT seem enthused about spending $400 on a GPU. What would be a good pairing with his Ry5 1600 assuming we overclock it to around my level? (4Ghz)

My 580 is just spiffy for me, but I know I'm still a bit GPU limited. What's a good nVidia card for him that's cheaper but still a lot better than a 580?

Back