A little Armadillo Aerospace news...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grall, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

2. Sxotty

Veteran

They already did it didn't they? They just need to wait for the other teams to go and see if their accuracy is better. When you read the writeup on AA's website they did very good despite crappy conditions. It was raining and everything they had planned would not work quite right.

http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/News?news_id=367

3. hoom

Veteran

I'm still too bitter at the failure of Kistler to get all excited about any other private space stuff :frown:
    The K1 was totally the most practical of the various re-usable commercial rocket designs.

That said, this Armadillo one totally nailed that test.
    Looked to have excellent stability & was it balanced entirely on the one rocket with no pif paf stuff?!

4. Sxotty

Veteran

Hoom I believe so check out the links Armadillo is awesome b/c they give out oodles of information.

5. Karoshi

Newcomer

In the downloadable WMV you can clearly see the one rocket exhaust plume rotating slightly to the sides a few degrees.

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Note to those who aren't familiar with the lingo... "pif paf stuff" is a deeply technical term in the field of rocketry. :D

7. hoom

Veteran

Reaction Control System then :razz:

Pif Paf is apparently a French acronym (Pilotage induit en force—Pilotage aérodynamique en force) for the hybrid aerodynamic & RCS manoeuvring system on the Aster 15/30 SAMs but I'm pretty sure I've seen it used more colloquially for RCS systems in general, particularly in context of early VTOL planes :???:

Yes, that was why I was asking.

I had been under the impression that the previous model had 4 rockets to provide stability via variable thrust but now that I look at pics more closely, it seems that what I thought were 4 rockets were just the legs & it had a central rocket :oops:

8. Sxotty

Veteran

Bump dead thread for fun new launch. 135k feet or something like that.

9. Davros

Legend

Allegedly if you look at the rocket quickly the paintwork is a blurry mess for the first 10 seconds

10. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I guess Carmack screwed up the anisotropic filtering again then...

...Or is it the larger MIP levels that aren't loading properly? I thought they learned their lesson about blurry textures with Rage. ;)

11. Sxotty

Veteran

Yeah and the extension ladder is totally out of place on such a technical rocket... :)