A Japanese developer (MISTWALKER?) joins in the Xbox 2 camp

So the news broke out anyway...
2 Xbox 2 RPGs will be developed by Microsoft Game Studio under the command of Mistwalker.

Good news for xbox2. They really need a quality japanese rpg with big names behind it to sell in Japan.

But it's still more uphill struggle with a new franchise, compared to names like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest etc.
Hope it won't turn out another True Fantasy Online ;)

Wonder how MIstwalker will make that "emotion based levelling up" system. That could either be iwhat makes or kills the game. Sounds a bit too Molyneuxy to me, not to mention PS2 and "emotion enginey" hype :LOL:

rabidrabbit said:
Hope it won't turn out another True Fantasy Online ;)
Well, this time Microsoft Game Studio themselves develop the games by allocating 150 people per game, instead of outsourcing to Level 9. MGS also publishs them. It seems Mistwalker only inputs the idea into MGS and checks the output later :LOL:

Oh :? So are you saying MS basically just bought the Hironobu Sakaguchi and Mistwalker names for their rpg? Who's doing the art design for the game? Script etc...?

2 factors will determine how much it will help xbox2.

1. How far along is production. When will it be released.
2. Will it be any good.

Hope it turns out good though.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0224-sakaguchi.htm

Newsflash:
Legendary Sakaguchi Now a Developer for the Next-Generation Xbox Platform!

Father of the “Final Fantasy†Series and AIAS Hall of Fame Inductee will develop Xbox roleplaying games!

February 24, 2005—Microsoft Corporation today announced that Hironobu Sakaguchi, videogame legend and president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft® Game Studios to develop roleplaying games (RPG) exclusively for the next-generation Xbox® video game system.

Sakaguchi is best known as the creator of the Final Fantasy franchise, which has sold more than 60-million units worldwide. He was the executive vice president in charge of game development at Square Enix Co., Ltd., until February 2001.

Citing a shared vision with Microsoft for the next generation of video games, Sakaguchi will lead the creation of two upcoming Xbox-exclusive RPGs to be published by Microsoft Game Studios.

“Sakaguchi-san has taken roleplaying games—traditionally a niche market—and introduced them to a broad and diverse audience across the globe,†said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing at Microsoft. “We are ecstatic to work with Sakaguchi-san and celebrate what this news means, not only for Xbox, but for gamers worldwide.â€

“I’m excited about the two epic game titles we will be developing,†Sakaguchi said. “A number of talented creators have signed on to help develop these games, and I’m confident we will be able to create games that provide gamers with a new kind of thrill.

“Microsoft’s cutting-edge technologies in the next-generation platform will allow me to bring to life an array of ideas that I have had for many years,†Sakaguchi said. “I want these games to be alive with a new vision for gaming and vividly depict new characters that will transcend the game, find a place in the hearts of gamers, and make time spent with my games a fond and long-lasting memory.â€

Sakaguchi started his career at Square Co. Ltd. in 1986 as director of planning and development. He was promoted to executive vice president in 1991 and eventually ascended to president of Square LA Inc. (now Square USA Inc.) in 1995. In 2000, Sakaguchi was inducted into the coveted Academy of Interactive Arts & Science (AIAS) Hall of Fame for his groundbreaking work on the Final Fantasy series. In 2004, Sakaguchi announced that he had started his own development studio, called Mistwalker.

Xbox is coming off a blockbuster year as the only video game system to show year-to-year growth in 2004, while competitors declined.* Driven by epic, platform-exclusive content—including Halo® 2 by Microsoft Game Studios, Fable™ by Microsoft Game Studios, Ninja Gaiden® by Tecmo Ltd., and Xbox Live™, the only unified online video game console service—gamers worldwide continue to flock to Xbox for an unparalleled digital entertainment experience.

* Source: The NPD Group/NPD Funworld, January 2005

rabidrabbit said:
Oh :? So are you saying MS basically just bought the Hironobu Sakaguchi and Mistwalker names for their rpg? Who's doing the art design for the game? Script etc...?

Well, the scripts will be done by Sakaguchi himself. Art direction will be, most likely, done by Yoshitaka Amano. They are mega-budget $10 million projects, everyone will want to be on board! ;)

The previous track record of MIcrosoft Game Studios games developed in Japan has not been too stellar

Phantom Dust, lead by former Sega Yukio Futatsugi. (Panzer Dragoon)

rabidrabbit said:
The previous track record of MIcrosoft Game Studios games developed in Japan has not been too stellar

Yeah, but the news value is wholly different this time... even mainstream newspapers in Japan are reporting it. Now, when they release them is another question.

good signals MS commitment to continue chipping away :)

sakaguchi is very big in the east. his rep and influence seem to have got big names onto the new games. more to come please.

final fantasy was his final project to revive his job then.

let all give our best to history repeating itself.

a new mega jrpg franchise is solely needed as seems jrpg this gen is boring even for a once jrpg nut like me.

Yeah, but the news value is wholly different this time... even mainstream newspapers in Japan are reporting it. Now, when they release them is another question.

Of course they'd mention it, he's a big name...

However the news is still the same...

Well, the scripts will be done by Sakaguchi himself. Art direction will be, most likely, done by Yoshitaka Amano. They are mega-budget $10 million projects, everyone will want to be on board!

Kidna small budget for him dontcha think? ;) Anyways it'll be interesting to see, since he hasn't had much direct involvment in anything since FFIX.

archie4oz said:
Well, the scripts will be done by Sakaguchi himself. Art direction will be, most likely, done by Yoshitaka Amano. They are mega-budget $10 million projects, everyone will want to be on board!

Kidna small budget for him dontcha think? ;)

Eh, over $10 million budget if I can edit it...
It's rumored that it's already over $30 million (2 games aggregated?) but I pray for them not to sink too much money in the PR campaign ;)

Interview with Peter Moore on the topic: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/590/590733p1.html

If this is truly just the "first step," I wonder how many steps MS will take. If they can get better 3rd party support from Japan, they stand an outside chance at #2 in Japan. But I'll believe MS has a prayer in that region when I see some concrete proof.

rabidrabbit:

What was wrong with Phantom Dust?

um... apparently not much :oops:
I must have mixed it in my head with some other game.
The previews for Phantom Dust seem to be quite favorable.

Maybe it was just because it has not been released in west made me think it was a bad game.

Sorry.

Phantom Dust is easily the best thing to come out of MGSJ. Sneakers, Kakuto Chojin, Jockey's Road and Magatama don't even begin to compare to the quality of Phantom Dust.

Inane_Dork said:
Phantom Dust is easily the best thing to come out of MGSJ. Sneakers, Kakuto Chojin, Jockey's Road and Magatama don't even begin to compare to the quality of Phantom Dust.

Well, the game was made by the producer of Panzer Dragoon Orta...

Back